Murray Grey Photos

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
I just thought that I would post some pictures that I took of our herd. We got 4 inches of rain last week, and the grass is really starting to grow despite the 100 degree heat. The photo below is of our 2 year old herd bull. He is in breeding 20 cows. Sorry you can't see his head, but he was busy grazing.
IMG_1538_zps928aaf0c.jpg

The bull calf is 4 months old. He is 75% Murray Grey and 25% Angus. He is out of a 5 year old cow.
IMG_1546_zpsea5fa31a.jpg

The cow below is 50% Angus and 50% Murray Grey. She will be 5 years old in October, and is shown with her 4 1/2 month old heifer. The cow weighs over 1,400 lbs.
IMG_1527_zps664dd3d3.jpg

The heifer below is 5 months old. We will be keeping her as a replacement heifer. She was the first one born this year.
IMG_1520_zpsb1647a1c.jpg

The bull calf below is pictured at 4 months old.
IMG_1368_zps2ada89d8.jpg

The cow below will be 9 years old in October. She is one of my favorite cows. She produces beautiful heifers. We have 3 of them in our herd. She has a bull calf this year.
IMG_1365_zpsf9eb52ab.jpg

The last photo is of an 8 year old cow. She has had 4 consecutive bull calves. This year, she has a bull calf that is very well proportioned.
IMG_1359_zpsefa86d2a.jpg

What are your thoughts?

Good looking MG's and plenty of feed ahead of them too! Your bull looks better and better every time I see a picture of him.

Thank you for all of the responses. I appreciate all of the feedback. I am really interested to see how the 75% Murray Grey x 25% Angus heifer grows out. She still has almost 4 more months on her mom before she will be weaned.

Don McCallum":1ivnyyn1 said:
I like your cattle. What is the average bw, ww. price at sale, etc.

I did the math for average birth weights and weaning weights just now for the past 3 years.
2012 Bull Calves
Birth weight: 76 lbs
Weaning Weight: 616 lbs

2012 Heifer Calves Birth weight: 69 lbs
Weaning Weight: 507 lbs

2013 Bull Calves
Birth Weight: 75 lbs
Weaning Weight: 606 lbs

2013 Heifer Calves
Birth Weight: 75 lbs
Weaning Weight: 532 lbs

2014 Bull Calves
Birth Weight: 78 lbs

2014 Heifer Calves
Birth Weight: 68.5 lbs

I've commented on them before but, exceptional looking cattle. What age do you normally wean calves?

fitz

We typically wean calves at 7 months. We will probably keep the calves on the cows a bit longer this year because we do not want the cows to get too fat.

Backbone Ranch":1788to2b said:
We typically wean calves at 7 months. We will probably keep the calves on the cows a bit longer this year because we do not want the cows to get too fat.

That's a first class problem! I love it!

Latest posts