Murray Grey - Olympia Pelion

Help Support CattleToday:

moses388

Reaction score
http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=103037&p=1401269#p1400761

>>>Backbone Ranch wrote:
Let me know how that Olympia's Pelion bull calf turns out. We have straws from Olympia's Pelion, but we have yet to use him over our cows.<<<

In the 2015-2016 Winter, I artificially inseminated 2 heifers with Olympia's Pelion. The heifers each gave birth, unassisted, to a healthy calf in November 2016. There were 2 calves; a heifer and a bull.
[image]http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/app.php/gallery/image/168[/image]

I had the breeder out to the farm in November 2017. The bull weighed about 1000 pounds and had a scrotal circumference of 37 centimeters. He made approximately 70 straws. In the Summer of 2018, he was placed on pasture and used as a cleanup bull. The bull was sold in August 2018. He weighed 1230 pounds. When not being used for breeding, he was vocal about his unhappiness living alone in a pen. I could stand in the pen and brush him; he enjoyed that. Here are his Igenity scores:
production index: 5.15
birth weight: 2
calving ease direct: 7
calving ease maternal: 5
stayability: 7
heifer pregnancy rate: 7
docility: 5
milk: 5
residual feed intake: 6
average daily gain: 2
tenderness: 9
marbling: 3
ribeye area: 1
fat: 6
[image]http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/app.php/gallery/image/166[/image]

The heifer calf has grown into a good mother. She is short because Olympia's Pelion will reduce stature. I used Wallawong Vinnie Roe #58104 on the heifer and she calved October 2018. She was in parturition down in the pasture. I watched her lay down and get up several times. I had seen part of the water bag and a hoof at one point, but as soon as she got up it disappeared. I brought her up to the yard, broke the water, and pulled the calf. Both continue to do well. She has a better udder than her mother's, which is big and hangs low.
[image]http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/app.php/gallery/image/167[/image]

Born unassisted on Friday, February 8th, 2019. Natural serviced by the home-raised Murray Grey bull.
[image]http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/app.php/gallery/image/165[/image]

Olympia's Pelion is easy-calving, fertile, short, and has perfect tenderness. Pelion got the job done at the time, but I am moving on in search of something with more ribeye and marbling.

TwoByrdsMG said:
A silver calf out of a black cow. What!? The Murray grey color predictions do not explain that!
She could be very dark grey and in a winter coat hard to tell-in which case she would carry one dilution gene which could be the one to match up with one of the bulls dilution genes-to make a silver!

What is Olympia Pelions breeding?
Does he go back to Parknook Pelion?

Olympia Pelion is sired by Parknook Pelion out of Burrawang Flower.

Very interesting dilute genes. I prefer non-black cows myself since they do so much better in the heat

Moses388- Thank you for sharing these pictures. I have seen several progeny of Olympia's Pelion, but they were not much older than weaned calves. These were the first mature progeny that I had seen out of him, and I have to say that I believe that both the bull and the young cow are phenotypically better than Olympia's Pelion. When it comes to improving marbling, it will likely take several generations to get to the desired level. To date, I believe that we have only had two individuals ever score 9 out of 10 for marbling in our herd. Our primary herdsire, BB Uncle Tony, scored a 10 for tenderness and an 8 for marbling. After 8 calf crops, we just had our first Tony son that scored 10 and 8. We have had many 10 out of 10 tenderness progeny from him, but the marbling is definitely harder to breed for.

TwoByrdsMG- I agree with you about preferring the silver cattle in our heat. However, we have noticed that some of our cattle, after being bred silver for 25+ years, are needing improvement when it comes to pigmentation. That is one reason why we have been looking so hard for a dark AI sire that will compliment our breeding program.

Backbone Ranch said:
TwoByrdsMG- I agree with you about preferring the silver cattle in our heat. However, we have noticed that some of our cattle, after being bred silver for 25+ years, are needing improvement when it comes to pigmentation. That is one reason why we have been looking so hard for a dark AI sire that will compliment our breeding program.

I have heard that same thing about pigmentation so we have been using dun/dark bulls on silver cows and silver bulls on dun and black cows. The bull also has to complement the cow. I think we will have our dun/dark bull tested for tenderness and marbling. We are going to have him collected if he tests good. Do you consider 8/10 or better acceptable?

We haven't tested any bulls yet but I would be interested to see where our breeding program is headed.

We personally would not consider keeping a bull as a future herdsire for our herd if he is below 8 for tenderness. At the end of the day, our cattle are producing beef, and we want to do all that we can to ensure that our cattle have the genetic predisposition to produce tender beef. With that being said, we will occasionally AI cows to bulls with lower tenderness scores if we feel that a particular bull will improve a cow in other ways. Our average tenderness score for our cow herd is 8.25 out of 10. At the moment, we have two mature bulls that scored 9 and 10 for tenderness, an 18 month old that scored 10 for tenderness and a yearling that scored 10 for tenderness. We are a bit more lenient when it comes to selecting replacement females. We still would like them to score 7 or higher, but a slightly lower tenderness score will not automatically disqualify them as a replacement. At this point in time, 25% of our cow herd has perfect tenderness scores.

TwoByrdsMG said:
A silver calf out of a black cow. What!? The Murray grey color predictions do not explain that!

Here is a silver calf out of a brown cow. Born unassisted on February 21, 2019. Sired by the home-raised bull, a son of Olympia's Pelion.

AI sired by Moses Dark Pelion, son of Olympia's Pelion. Born in 2020.

mini

http://cattletoday.com/forum/app.php/gallery/image/452

TwoByrdsMG said:
Olympia Pelion is sired by Parknook Pelion out of Burrawang Flower.

Very interesting dilute genes. I prefer non-black cows myself since they do so much better in the heat

Havent had a MG yet,but hands down peefer a charolais cross wirh black nose. Looking to find a MG bull in the next year hopefully.

Theyre well built from what i see you MG guys post on here. Better gene pool maybe.

Latest posts