Multiple dose syringes

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_jenna

Reaction score
I've got a syringe question. I was wondering about the multiple dose syringes. Do many use them? What type is best, bottle mount vs hose to bottle? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. For this particular dose, I will be using 2ml per dose.
Thanx, Jenna

Between the two of them, I like the bottle mount. I dont want any hoses gettin in my way when I stick a calf or cow.
But I mostly use a repeater syringe when I am giving shots, and keep the bottle in my pocket.

I use the primatech bottle mount for my 2cc doses. For large doses like nuflor or noromycin use a hose fed with bottle hung on side of chute.

cowgirl_jenna":2h2ekypq said:
I've got a syringe question. I was wondering about the multiple dose syringes. Do many use them? What type is best, bottle mount vs hose to bottle? Any thoughts would be much appreciated. For this particular dose, I will be using 2ml per dose.
Thanx, Jenna

Jenna

It is time for my sexist comment of the day.

I do not know a great number of women who can comfortably use a bottle mounted syringe for long periods. It becomes far too heavy. Most ladies would find the hose to bottle far easier to use if they are doing any number of animals.

If you are only doing 20 or 30 animals use 10 cc syringes - 5 animals to a syringe.

If you are doing a couple hundred through the chute in one day, I am betting the hose would be best for you

In any case it is up to you.

Be safe

Bez

Hey now, never underestimate a women's strength :) ...(although I over-estimate mine sometimes)LOL. Thats what we used previously, just the regular syringes. The reason I'd like to try the multi-dose ones, is we will only be vaccinating most them this time with the exception being a couple questionable cows I'll be preg checking too. Usually we vaccinate, pour, preg check, re-tag some, ect in the fall. Then, there is plenty of time to give the vaccinations while the other things are going on. The thing I thought about with the bottle mounts, how easy does the bottle break if "something" happens/drops? Thanx for the ideas thus far.
Jenna

cowgirl_jenna":1a0f8s88 said:
Hey now, never underestimate a women's strength :) ...(although I over-estimate mine sometimes)LOL. Thats what we used previously, just the regular syringes. The reason I'd like to try the multi-dose ones, is we will only be vaccinating most them this time with the exception being a couple questionable cows I'll be preg checking too. Usually we vaccinate, pour, preg check, re-tag some, ect in the fall. Then, there is plenty of time to give the vaccinations while the other things are going on. The thing I thought about with the bottle mounts, how easy does the bottle break if "something" happens/drops? Thanx for the ideas thus far.
Jenna

Anyone can break a bottle and they do break easily at times.

I am simply giving you an opinion from my own experience.

Personally I can do as many as anyone I have ever met if I have the syringes, the bottle with a needle in it and the room to work.

You do not say how many you will be doing.

In the end it is your decision

Be safe

My best

Bez

cowgirl_jenna":14iqag65 said:
Thanx, Jenna

I used the hose mount simply because the bottles could then be hung in an out of the way place without risk of being broken. I often had to give 2-3 injections using different bottles so hanging them in a row was easiest for me. The only drawback was having to clean out the hoses after the work was done but it was easy enough.

i use the prima tech bottle mounts they work great to me so far(maybe lucky) havent broke a bottle of anything, you can turn it upside down where the bottle is on the same side as the grip and that will help if you drop it. i think the bigger bottles have a cover that goes over them. i do use the tube on wormer and things in the 500 ml bottles.

I always feel compelled to weigh in on these multi-dose syringe threads...

Processing feeder calves that will be going to slaughter within a few months...OK. In the cow herd, NOT - unless you're planning to change needles between each animal.
Yeah, I know, it's a PITA, and it's so expensive(what, $.20/animal?).

But, if you are in an Anaplasmosis endemic area, or have Anaplasmosis in the herd, every time you stick a needle in a carrier animal, there's a 60% chance that you're gonna transmit that agent to the next cow you stick with that same needle.
I haven't seen any documented 'numbers' for ease of transmission of Bovine Leukosis Virus - which is pretty widespread in some areas of the country - but from my own experience, using the same needle over and over - I ended up with a 90% infection rate in my herd; when I finally broke down and did a whole-herd test about 6 years ago, because we were losing 1-2 cows/year to lymphosarcoma.
Have not re-used a needle on anything except steers and older cows that I know are infected since then, and each cow gets a new OB sleeve when palpating or breeding - and I may still not have made much headway in cleaning up that mess.

Do what you want, but I don't recommend multi-dose syringes for use in breeding stock, unless you're prepared to switch to a fresh, new, sterile needle for each animal.

Lucky_P":2gzki4bm said:
I always feel compelled to weigh in on these multi-dose syringe threads...

Processing feeder calves that will be going to slaughter within a few months...OK. In the cow herd, NOT - unless you're planning to change needles between each animal.
Yeah, I know, it's a PITA, and it's so expensive(what, $.20/animal?).

But, if you are in an Anaplasmosis endemic area, or have Anaplasmosis in the herd, every time you stick a needle in a carrier animal, there's a 60% chance that you're gonna transmit that agent to the next cow you stick with that same needle.
I haven't seen any documented 'numbers' for ease of transmission of Bovine Leukosis Virus - which is pretty widespread in some areas of the country - but from my own experience, using the same needle over and over - I ended up with a 90% infection rate in my herd; when I finally broke down and did a whole-herd test about 6 years ago, because we were losing 1-2 cows/year to lymphosarcoma.
Have not re-used a needle on anything except steers and older cows that I know are infected since then, and each cow gets a new OB sleeve when palpating or breeding - and I may still not have made much headway in cleaning up that mess.

Do what you want, but I don't recommend multi-dose syringes for use in breeding stock, unless you're prepared to switch to a fresh, new, sterile needle for each animal.
Lucky,
You made me feel better about buying all the needles that I do. We are paying abou 8 cents a piece for them and always considered it cheap insurance. Just been my way, I never want a used needle going back inot a bottle of anything.

Oh I sure do agree with the not sharing needles, gloves, ect. I have and still would use a new needle for each animal. I'm not aware of any transferable things in our herd, but like you guys said why risk it. I know at my AI training class we had a huge class discussion on using the same glove for multiple cows when ai'ing/preg checking. I was surprised most of the class didn't see a problem with it. I suppose if you 100% know your herd is free of whatever, not a big deal, but then again for .12 cents/glove why question it is how I feel.

N/T,
I'm a vet, and I KNEW better - but, I'm also human, and we typically do the easy, inexpensive thing - even when, down the road, it may turn out to be costly.
Most folks are unaware how prevalent BLV infection is in our beef herds - look here for more info: http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health ... is_BLV.pdf
I have no doubt that *I* was largely responsible for spreading this infection so widely through my herd, 'cause I never changed needles 'til they got so dull I couldn't shove 'em through the skin any more, went in-and-out of vaccine bottles with needles that had already been in a cow, and used the same OB sleeve on multiple cows - all proven methods of transferring potentially-infected blood cells from one animal to the next.

Researchers at KSU have shown that in herds with anaplasmosis, that if you re-use a needle that has just been inserted into a carrier animal, or one incubating the disease, that about 60% of the time, you'll transmit that parasite to the next cow you stick.

I don't re-use needles or OB sleeves anymore - well, except on steers, and cows that I KNOW are BLV-positive.

Named'em Tamed'em":cjncxnvr said:
Last Nov I watched 550 cow's get preg checked before lunch. Never saw the vet re up on gloves, and Stephanie only switched needles when bent.
I'll bet the vet miscalled half of them too unless you wanted a simply "open" or "bred". My vet always told me that after 50 it became a guessing game. About the same for me.

Personally we don't reuse anything (only three cows) things are cheap enough. On that huge ranch in Montana where i got to observe things they did. The Vet. was palping for a calving window of 45 days. The early bred, the unbred and the bred too late were shipped. They AI the heifers once, and if they come up open they get spayed and blue tagged and raised like steers ( no second chances when your a huge operation I guess).

The next morning they were headed to another holding area to preg check another 500 cows. 2800 total preg checks that week. Absolutly blew me away.

Latest posts