Worming Ivermectin Dose Concern

Help Support CattleToday:

BobbyLummus

Reaction score
I ran all cows and calves through the chute today with some help from a friend . We used the pour - on generic ivermectin from TSC . He did the pour - on and I ran them though chute, because of his lack of experience around the farm he was more comfortable that way . There was some confusion as to how much was used after they were wormed . Too late now but I estimate they all got 3x the recommended dose per lb as recommended . Is there anything I should look out for ?

Not from my experience . If you read the label I believe it is tested up to 10x dose. I have over dosed before with no ill effects. If you do have a problem it's probably PEM according to Liz/sirloin

You might have actually gotten them dewormed this way.
Studies have shown that only about 30% of the dose of most pour-ons actually gets where it needs to be to actually kill the parasites. It's a p-poor way to deworm cattle. Easy, I guess, but not very effective.

I used the Ivomec injectable parasiticide this week because of the issues on effectiveness of the pour-on. But when I have used the pour-on in the past, I double the recommended dose. Having read the literature on the safety margin with dosage, it would not cause me concern with a 3 times dosage.

Lucky_P":3nr38cfz said:
Studies have shown that only about 30% of the dose of most pour-ons actually gets where it needs to be to actually kill the parasites. It's a p-poor way to deworm cattle. Easy, I guess, but not very effective.

We always inject a wormer also and figure the pour on is for lice and mites.

J&D Cattle":2ud05xbc said:
Lucky_P":2ud05xbc said:

About 3 years ago we switched to injectable, spring & fall, about Memorial day & Thanksgiving. I've noticed a marked decrease in lice and mites with each passing year. Last fall we had some stuff come up and I didn't get the fall worming done. We just did it this past week. About 10% had small patches of lice infestations, and I mean small--about the size of my palm. They get an oral worming around July 4th and I'll probably do an oral worming on Memorial day this year since we just did the injectable. The oral worming seemed to just make the calves pop, it seems the stragglers must have been caused by a heavy worm load more than by poor milking cows.

Chris H":4fo8ylp6 said:
J&D Cattle":4fo8ylp6 said:
Lucky_P":4fo8ylp6 said:

About 3 years ago we switched to injectable, spring & fall, about Memorial day & Thanksgiving. I've noticed a marked decrease in lice and mites with each passing year. Last fall we had some stuff come up and I didn't get the fall worming done. We just did it this past week. About 10% had small patches of lice infestations, and I mean small--about the size of my palm. They get an oral worming around July 4th and I'll probably do an oral worming on Memorial day this year since we just did the injectable. The oral worming seemed to just make the calves pop, it seems the stragglers must have been caused by a heavy worm load more than by poor milking cows.
Almost the routine I use. I drench the calves with synanthic a couple times a year in addition to the injectable parasiticide to keep worms from holding them back. I always notice, at least I imagine I do, a "pop".

Latest posts