Mud Terrain Tires.Are they worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

I like the super swamper tsl radial and bias ply for an aggressive mud tire. Far superior than the old bias 7.00-16 mudders or the ground hawgs from back in the day. They have a narrow version if the wide tires aren't your thing. On my truck I run the BFG AT KO2's with zero complaints. The soil I drive in now is a good combo of sand and mud so the BFG work better and do not dig down as fast as the Super Swampers do in the sand.

True Grit Farms":dnvnvmem said:
cfpinz":dnvnvmem said:
True Grit Farms":dnvnvmem said:
I was a BFG AT believer but a couple of bad tires has me running Toyo AT tires at the moment and there not bad. I don't care for the noise of a MT on the highway, and I'm definitely not mud bogging my nice truck offroad.

What issues have you had with the BFG's? I've used them since the mid-90's and they've been good to me.

Balance issues is my only complaint, it took 7 tires till I was happy with the ride. I had the tires balanced by 3 different places. One was the 4 Wheel Parts store and they have a high speed bump balance deal that balances the tires while there still on the truck. When I pay top dollar for a tire I want it to ride smooth at any speed.

I ran BFG AT's for years, couldn't get rid of the dang things. One pair would separate, but the other two would be good so to keep them matched I'd buy another pair, then the older ones would separate. Never did get a set to wear out before they separated. Tire shop did admit it was a problem with them at the time, I think they've since fixed that issue but I still have such a bad taste from it that I doubt if I will ever buy another set.

That is what got us at one point. We had the BFG ATs on literally every vehicle we owned. One year we had I think 2 or 3 separate. Grant it, that was out of 20 tires but was still too many. I tried running them on my truck on the gravel roads but they chipped to pieces and would sand blast the bottom side of the truck.

They have a new style now that is chip proof and holds up really well. Down side is the sizes are some what limited compared to others.

IMO BFG should have never gotten rid of the previous MT design. The KM2s are good tires for serious off road but a little too aggressive for a daily driver that is on the road and highways.

We have BFG ATs on disks and all kinds of stuff... still going strong.

The Fierce tires do well on gravel....that's all we have around here besides dirt/mud roads. I double checked, and they are 4 point, not 2 like I said.

we've been happy with the BFG's here, we find they held up well in the gravel roads compared to a lot of other tires.

Mud tires are useless around here, only have mud for a week or two a year, chain up or drive something else for that time around the farm, main road does get muddy, but not that bad.

Aggressive tires get chewed up way too fast on Dodges.. I ran some Dick Cepek Mountain Cats.. wonder if I got 20,000 miles out of them before they were done for. Now I have a friend that imports straight from China, he gets "Suretracks".. at under $100 USD for a 235/84/16 including tax, it's the cheapest I can get, and they last as good as anything, 10 PR too and never had a flat yet.

jehosofat":zorhtbna said:
kenny thomas":zorhtbna said:
I run in mud every day and use Kanati Mud Hog 31x10.50x15 .

I used to know a guy that could get you a good deal on them, shipping was a b**ch though. :lol:
He had a heck of a deal on them plus took guns as trade. Everyone was happy. Well I am for sure.

kenny thomas":3u4ar4od said:
jehosofat":3u4ar4od said:
kenny thomas":3u4ar4od said:
I run in mud every day and use Kanati Mud Hog 31x10.50x15 .

I used to know a guy that could get you a good deal on them, shipping was a b**ch though. :lol:
He had a heck of a deal on them plus took guns as trade. Everyone was happy. Well I am for sure.

Screw the tires I wanted to go "crappy, speck, or white perch fishing" or whatever those Bama hillbillies call them.

True Grit Farms":px5m7mea said:
kenny thomas":px5m7mea said:
jehosofat":px5m7mea said:

Screw the tires I wanted to go "crappy, speck, or white perch fishing" or whatever those Bama hillbillies call them.

They still bitin', load up, come on.

jehosofat":2mdoi6d2 said:
True Grit Farms":2mdoi6d2 said:
kenny thomas":2mdoi6d2 said:

On call at work 7 days a week till May 1. But I sure like the idea.

kenny thomas":3eb6e3cy said:
jehosofat":3eb6e3cy said:
True Grit Farms":3eb6e3cy said:

There's got to be cell phone service somewhere on the lake Kenny.

True Grit Farms":3timy7dn said:
kenny thomas":3timy7dn said:
jehosofat":3timy7dn said:

There's got to be cell phone service somewhere on the lake Kenny.
I'm on 1 hour response time to be at work so that is about 5 hours out of being in the right place.

My BFG KO2's wore inconsistently. Not sure why...had them rotated regularly, and most folks around here have had good luck with them. They were great on the road, and looked aggressive, but didn't really offer much in mud. Toyo MT's are the best mud tire i've ridden on road, but like any mud tire, they are a compromise on road. The NItto Ridge grappler's i'm driving now are my favorite so far. Excellent on road manners, and decent off road performance. Mud tires typically just give you the balls to get a little too far in the sink, IMO.

Just ordered a pretty aggressive set for the farm truck , nankang or something , blew one Saturday pulling the stock trailer . Luckily it wasn't loaded , but it put an end to about 5 years of procrastinating .

Silver":3phqqagv said:
True Grit Farms":3phqqagv said:
cfpinz":3phqqagv said:
What issues have you had with the BFG's? I've used them since the mid-90's and they've been good to me.

Balance issues is my only complaint, it took 7 tires till I was happy with the ride. I had the tires balanced by 3 different places. One was the 4 Wheel Parts store and they have a high speed bump balance deal that balances the tires while there still on the truck. When I pay top dollar for a tire I want it to ride smooth at any speed.

I ran BFG AT's for years, couldn't get rid of the dang things. One pair would separate, but the other two would be good so to keep them matched I'd buy another pair, then the older ones would separate. Never did get a set to wear out before they separated. Tire shop did admit it was a problem with them at the time, I think they've since fixed that issue but I still have such a bad taste from it that I doubt if I will ever buy another set.

Luck of the draw I reckon. I've never had a BFG separate, but have had plenty of Coopers go out with a bang - literally. I have noticed the BFG's are hard to balance, and once they get a little wear they'll vibrate the first 10 or 15 minutes on interstate. Also have a bunch of their commercial truck tires on trailers, and have no complaints with them.

I had the same feelings when radials first came out. For awhile I was able to find bias "real" mud tires like we used to get and had them on my feed/hay truck. I don't know why the radial ply makes any difference in tread design. Sure would be nice to have the chevrons that clean out like yesteryear.

Latest posts