Mountain lions and large cats

Help Support CattleToday:

Cats, if they chase, will jump on the back and rake claws over the back to drag it down. If the jump from up high, they go for the neck.

Sounds like dogs to me.

i have lost 3 tails in the last year and a half or so on mature cows. one was sliced off up near the tailhead and the others about halfway up (not just the switches like a dog or getting caught in a tree/wire). we are not all that far from each other. ive never found the remains of any of these tails laying around anywhere like i usually do with a broken out switch. there is nothing that could have cut off the tail up near the tailhead in my pasture and a dog tugging on it would not have broken it off up that high. i could see a snapping turtle taking off the other tails but not that one. only thing that leaves is big cat or alligator (also kind of a stretch). usually a big cat would go for the neck of smaller prey like a deer or something to finish it off but will attack from the back to slow something larger such as a cow horse or water buffalo down enough first. in the big cat attack videos its pretty common to see a cat jump up and swat at the tail area and bite at the tail area or pounce on the back and grab hold on each side near the flank and bite at whatever it can. and of course a juvenile that is just figuring things out will take a few tries to master his craft. i have seen prints within the last couple of months but havent SEEN a big cat in a few months. but ive heard..something. keep an eye out for strange behavior, i konw when the panther was moving thru years back the cows would all circle up at the drop of a hat. now that i think about it there have been a couple of instances when they have sort of stampeded for no apparent reason lately.

also flank, mammary, and tailhole are prime cuts for coyotes and buzzards but a tail would not be the first thing i would go after which makes me think it was taken off in the struggle.