Mountain lions and large cats

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is any specific method a large cat or other predator will kill a calf? About three weeks ago I had a calf injured in its rear flank. Tried to turn it around. It had a good appetite and stool was fine just rear end was messed up somehow. Stuff happens right so I didn't think much more about it but had to put it down. Yesterday I was feeding hay and everything was healthy. Today I found a 3-4 wt calf on the ground with a gaping hole in its rear flank and it was missing its tail. :???: It couldn't have been dead very long before I found it cause no buzzards were not present. Possible bored hunter or road rider but there is the missing tail. :???:

I know this could be a lot of stuff. Dead calf, coyote toted tail off maybe but I was wondering how a panther, couger, catamount, hybrid house cat, long-tailed bobcat or whatever you call it might take down and calf. Anyone know. And no, we don't have panthers here they've been gone for a long time except for the nine females they let loose here a few years ago with over half of them being bred. Apparantly palpating a cat - am told - is difficult.

Jo, sometimes it is difficult to know when you are being sarcastic ;-) . But what you have described is exactly the same thing that happened to me 2 years ago. No, I don't know exactly how they attack. I do know we have them. I have seen them. Never seen one attack, but what I have read it is exactly as you describe. Of course, we don't have them here either

No, I'm being dead serious on this. I would write it off as a poacher (gaping hole in rear flank being exit wound) but the missing tail has got me scratching my head. I've seen six florida panthers but the DNR said it was otters or long tailed bobby cats. Said I didn't know what I was looking at even though I sortof studied wildlife biology in college but I guess that don't count.

I'm thinking domestic dogs, a big cat will go at the throat to kill and then go after the easy gut, save the muscle for later. The tail is the last thing in their mind. My thought is dogs.

Didn't think about dogs. Could very well be. I haven't had any trouble with them before but could have a new neighbor who is fixing to be short a dog shortly. (I'll catch it in one of those Have a Heart traps and carry it to the Humane Society about three hours from here. Or maybe not)

Red Bull Breeder":3fp7dd3a said:
I would say dogs Jo. Don't no much about them cats.
:nod: :nod: and now that he's started he won't stop till you put and end to it.

Sounds like dogs to me as well, as I have been well trained by them.
When it comes to dogs the more the merrier, they will destroy all night and be laying on the porch when you get up.
There is no such thing as one that won't join the fun.

Thanks. There are a few things starting to come together with the little grey cells. I hope its a dog and not one of those crossed up coydogs. I've seen some big coydogs but not on this place. I'd rather catch it during the day and I think a dog would be more prone to come during the day. If its a dog I hope to get it in the Have a Heart trap shortly. Can't afford anymore of these losses.

Check out your trees for markings as the scratching is unmistakable and there will be very definable scat .

A big cat will take down a calf no problem if they are hungry. We have been having a cougar problem lately , the kicker is they are protected in this area as it is NOT their natural habitat ,but the come down through the riverbed looking for easy food this time of year . Spartacus even gets skittish when we go towards the east quarter :? , and something has been running the neighbors feeder steers lately .

Bloody tail, ears and navel usually equals dogs or coyotes Joe.
Cats generally kill to eat and don't mess around--quick and to the point--dogs do it for the fun and will chase and badger it till it's wore down. Only then will they eat part of it. Cats are prone to drag the kill off somehwere for their meal and will stash the rest for later.
Maybe you need to make a trip to E Texas and borrow CB's donkey.

Not a bloody tail - tail was gone. Eaten off.

HD, they are protected here too. Of course we don't have them so it was hard for them to say much after telling a boy up the road that shot one after they told him he was seeing an otter or a long tailed bobcat. :lol2: Umm, what tree should I look for the sign at? I sortof have a more trees than grass. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

Jogeephus":17dm19zn said:

HD, they are protected here too. Of course we don't have them so it was hard for them to say much after telling a boy up the road that shot one after they told him he was seeing an otter or a long tailed bobcat. :lol2: Umm, what tree should I look for the sign at? I sortof have a more trees than grass. ;-) :lol2: :lol2:

Jogee, you bring up a good point. Can you get in trouble for killing something that is not there?

kenny thomas":1gu54y87 said:
Jogeephus":1gu54y87 said:

Jogee, you bring up a good point. Can you get in trouble for killing something that is not there?

He didn't but he did call on three occassions and they blew him off. What I learned later was several of the cats they put here were pregnant so we don't know how many are out there. I haven't seen one in some time but my son sat and watched two walk under his deer stand, I've seen several and even had one follow me in the woods one day. Talk about unnerving.

Red Bull Breeder":oibu67hx said:
What they don't no won't hurt them or get you a ticket.

Oh I agree and wouldnt let the thought stop me from shooting anyway. Just interesting to wonder what they would say. Guess I will ask the game commission about that.

Jogeephus":13jxcqfv said:
Yep, I read that, but most of the time, the dogs don't kill one, they just chase'em as a game, nipping and biting, and you go out in the morning and see ragged ears, and tails, with some blood. Dogs.

Cats like to sharpen on cedar trees around here. Looks similar to what bucks do during rut.
If you're looking for tracks, look for claw prints. Most of the time, a cat has it's claws retracted--a dog's nails are always visible in the footprint. Dog track has the 2 middle toes almost even with each other and are longer, sticking out ahead of the 2 outer toes.
Cat tracks are more of an oval smoother shape in the front if you were to draw a line right around the front of the track, just touching the front of each toe--and a cat track is big-I've seen one I could place my fist in easily..

The fish and wildlife folks here get down right testy when the cougar question comes up. Supposedly we don't have them. I've never seen one either way.

Latest posts