Mountain Lion, Maybe?

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Been pretty weird here lately.
Barn cats have been extremely quit, unusual for them. Cows are real jumpy, both ours and the neighbors on all sides. Deer are spooky and run at any little thing.
My dog will not go outside once it is dark.

So moutain lion or wolves?
Your guess is as good as mine.

Got a small pack of 4 coyotes, but they will be gotten next month.

I'm guessing mtn lion. You'd hear the wolves at night wouldn't you? I happened on a panther late this afternoon. Of course we don't have them here so I guess it was just one of those long tailed bobcats who had been eating steroids.

Jogeephus":s9h3wl2m said:
I'm guessing mtn lion. You'd hear the wolves at night wouldn't you? I happened on a panther late this afternoon. Of course we don't have them here so I guess it was just one of those long tailed bobcats who had been eating steroids.

Good point Jo, this would be the case here when the wolves move through.

Had a cow die of bloat over a week ago, so my trapper friend and I will be setting up some leg traps around it, after we pull the cows out of that pasture.
We don't always hear the wolves when they come through here. They must have learned not to announce themselves. We normally just see them for a brief second and then they are gone.

Husband saw a wolf this morning just to the east of us.
Not sure, but I Might and I mean Might have heard a wolf a few days ago, but I wasn't too sure. My truck radio was playing.

Jogeephus":20h8moei said:

Same story here. Somebody sees one every 10 years or so and gets accused of being high or drunk. That scream will sure make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. KDFWR finally acknowledged that we might have a big cat or two, but if we do, they're pets from South America or somewhere that somebody turned loose.

dyates":3l9vm9wm said:
Jogeephus":3l9vm9wm said:

Same story here. Somebody sees one every 10 years or so and gets accused of being high or drunk. That scream will sure make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. KDFWR finally acknowledged that we might have a big cat or two, but if we do, they're pets from South America or somewhere that somebody turned loose.

No might dyates. A friend of mine saw one just over the Laurel County/Pulaski County line a couple of months ago while hauling out a load of logs. That's about 8-10 miles west of me and 8-10 miles too close. Another friend got a pic of one over on Black Mtn in Harlan County last year.

I've seen them over twelve times in my life. Most recent sighting was last week. My son watched two while deer hunting. He watched them for over 15 minutes. I had one follow follow me for 30 minutes while I did some woods work. I kept hearing something shadowing my movements. I figured someone was fixing to pull a joke on me. Went under a big live oak tree and when I got to the other side of its canopy I stopped and looked back and there it was on the other side of the clearing. Bobcat!?! - BS!

spoon":3gtseu4g said:
dyates":3gtseu4g said:
Jogeephus":3gtseu4g said:

No might dyates. A friend of mine saw one just over the Laurel County/Pulaski County line a couple of months ago while hauling out a load of logs. That's about 8-10 miles west of me and 8-10 miles too close. Another friend got a pic of one over on Black Mtn in Harlan County last year.

That's the same piece of real estate I'm talking about. Shopville down through Bee Rock, across the lake and over to the Falls.

Now I haven't been on this planet very long compared to some, but since I can remember the nuisance predator population has gotten worse around here. Just the other morning on my way to work I about creamed a 'yote. We'll hear them mostly in the winter down along the river about 1/4 mile away. The horses will be spooky and I literally have to push the dogs outside to utilize the facilities. I have several friends that coyote hunt and it's typical for them to shoot five or more every weekend all winter.
When my wife and I were in college, and still dating, we had our few livestock at her parents' place. We had a steer calf come up missing. The next time we were home we saddled the horses and rode the pasture several times fence and all to no avail. Each of us took a side of the crick and about half way through my horse began to prance and bunny hop. Standing in the stirrups I could see a white object down by the water in the mud on my wife's side. I rode over to her and she took my horse and I got down in the cattails. The white object was the top of a femur bone. When I pulled it out there was still hair and hoof on the end. I crouched down and looked through the cattails at ground level and there were small bones spread around. No doubt coyotes because that's the biggest pest predator around here. $500 down the tube.
And now there are confirmed mountain lion sightings and feral hogs are moving in!

We have lost 2 calves to a wolf. From '96 and '01. Had a cow come up missing after we saw 2 wolves in our pasture. Had 2 calves come up missing one summer. Never found anything of them.

mermill2":9i6ojn84 said:
Ive seen those giant bobcats with four ft long tails on my farm.State calls em bobcats,Hooey bobcats my a foot.Bull crap.

Or an otter. I think its pretty arrogant of them to dismiss sightings such as this.

Unless those ding bats actually see one themselves they don't believe any reports. Oh yeah even if they see one they would dismiss it. So you need to produce a picture or a dead one for them to possibly believe it.

I luv herfrds":3893xtt3 said:
Unless those ding bats actually see one themselves they don't believe any reports. Oh yeah even if they see one they would dismiss it. So you need to produce a picture or a dead one for them to possibly believe it.

And with the hours they "work", I doubt any self respecting neat animal would be out and about at this time of the day.

I have a friend that works at a farrowing unit and they compost their dead sows in an 8 stall post and beam building. They bury any dead animal with 12" of compost matierials. Last fall they would come to work and dead sows were laying outside of the building. Something had dug down 12" and pulled out a 400 lb. hog and then drug it outside. Scared the crap out of all of them. I don't think that could be blamed on coyotes or stray dogs!

ArrowHBrand":2e4kif2w said:
I have a friend that works at a farrowing unit and they compost their dead sows in an 8 stall post and beam building. They bury any dead animal with 12" of compost matierials. Last fall they would come to work and dead sows were laying outside of the building. Something had dug down 12" and pulled out a 400 lb. hog and then drug it outside. Scared the crap out of all of them. I don't think that could be blamed on coyotes or stray dogs!

Probably an otter. ;-) :lol2:

Latest posts