Mothering ability

Help Support CattleToday:

Campground Cattle":105fztx3 said:
Well put Craig

I want to know how you get them coyotes to pose all I ever shot where in a dead run.

They pose when they have certain things catching their attention. When they are in your yard and you happen to go out with a light and shine it on them they pose.

Scotty

Scotty":2fsbf42c said:
Campground Cattle":2fsbf42c said:
Well put Craig

I want to know how you get them coyotes to pose all I ever shot where in a dead run.

They pose when they have certain things catching their attention. When they are in your yard and you happen to go out with a light and shine it on them they pose.

Scotty

I will try that next time one runs across the pasture. Just have to remember to carry a flashlight during the day.

A rabbit squall will usually stop and turn the ones around here, usually

dun

Craig-TX":3cqjpfli said:
rgv4":3cqjpfli said:
Craig-TX":3cqjpfli said:
cattle_gal":3cqjpfli said:
But we have had chunks of rear taken out of yearlings a few times about 20 years ago.

Not by coyotes. Coyotes go after the young. And contrary to what you say, the do go after the sick, weak and old. They don't have enough butt on them to take down a yearling or a grown cow/bull. Unless you're growing some mighty big coyotes up there. Down here a coyote probably averages 30# and a 50# coyote would be a trophy.

Craig-TX

Here's my two cents on the coyote comments:

I don't know exactly where in Texas you live but, in the last two weeks, I have killed two coyotes that 1 weighed 85 lbs. and the other was just a few ounces shy of 100 lbs. There is a pack that has developed here that sounds like it probably has 15 to 20 in it, thanks to some of those fine real estate developers that have pushed them in on us. The other night there were at least five of them after a pen of yearlings. Needless to say when they left there were only four. When you have a predator that is that big and hunting together, they will go after any size prey.

I live in central Texas like it says under my avatar. Where do you live that your seeing and killing 85-100# coyotes running in packs of 15 to 20? I'm very curious.

Craig-TX

Mighty big coyotes sound more like wolves and they have been extinct in Texas for years. We have a strain that has got crossed up with feral dogs that will run 50-60 lbs. Some look like they had a bluetick hound in the mix, all that have crossed with dogs have brown eyes. The true coyote wieghs 25 to 30 lbs has yellow eyes and is a pure coward and opportunist looking for sick, injured animals.

I haven't seen any around here, but years ago we had problem with coy-dogs. Hybreds that got HUGE, and nasty dispositioned. If it's hungry enough, even a coyote will try to take on larger stock, as a back they're a problem. If seen coyotes hamstring yearlings, but those were running with the hybreds and may have been a learned talent.

dun

My neighbor said that he has lost 300 lb calves to coyotes before. I don't know how he would know that as he lost them in mid-summer and we have the occasional wolf and cougar in this area as well. Funny that they'll let you shoot coyotes and wolves but cougars which I would think would be the worst are a big no-no. I do know that coyotes will take sheep. My brother was losing so many sheep to coyotes a couple of years ago, I told him he should quit selling sheep and start farming coyotes because he was feeding them anyway. He didn't think that was particularly funny. :roll:

dun":1xzfbtgc said:
I haven't seen any around here, but years ago we had problem with coy-dogs. Hybreds that got HUGE, and nasty dispositioned. If it's hungry enough, even a coyote will try to take on larger stock, as a back they're a problem. If seen coyotes hamstring yearlings, but those were running with the hybreds and may have been a learned talent.

dun
We had some here that were Rottweiller crosses- They were a real handfull,the worst of both.

I have read on official sites here in the state that the yotes here in Arkansas are bigger than the ones out west because they have interbred with mexican wolves.I have seen them that looked like a timber wolf and probably weighed 80+ lbs. I have also seen one real weird hybrid that had the head of a wolf,the scrawny body of a yote, and the tail of a red fox! As luck would have it,I did not have my .270 at the time. I would imagine that the same holds true for Texas, Louisiana, and possibly Missouri. As far as bear and cougar go,we have them also.If you shoot one of them just keep your mouth shut about it. :cboy: ;-)

I live 18 miles from the St. Lawrence River, dividing Ontario Canada from Northern New York State. The first coyotes I saw were in 1965. A fox hunter had 3 coyotes chase his hound back to him--they were chewing his behind. He killed two. Since then, coyotes have become real plentiful. There are several groups of hunters with hounds that hunt and kill them all winter (Dec. - Mar.) Couple years ago there was a contest. The first 60-lb. coyote or bigger would automatically win a 4 X 4 Ford. No one got it and many, many coyotes were killed. A local college prof. studies the skulls of our coyotes and says that some are actually crossed with Canadian brush wolf. Years ago, some were crossed with dog, but were sterile. Our coyotes average 40 - 45 lbs. and they have really thinned the whitetails in some areas. They've also reduced the number of striped skunk and woodchuck. They're hard to trap--I've caught a few but can't do it consistently. :D

Craig-TX":1sk50oqg said:
cattle_gal, you've blown some fairly serious smoke in other threads but in this particular exchange you got way out of line. Don't tell somebody here they "sound like those predator lovers" and carry on with all that condescension talk and expect them to lay low.

Craig-TX

Oh sorry master didn't mean to disagree with any of your views and how you do things. yeah.

However have you heard any of the phrases that the predator lovers say to defend keeping the predators around? Common ones are(reading letters from pro predator people) - they only kill the old and sick. They only kill when they are hungry, no predator would attack or kill if they aren't going to eat it (to cute and of course have morals to respect the prey animals,not cold blooded- civilized of course),their helpless, they only kill 4-5 animals a year to eat (boy that's a good one), put balance in prey herds (more like they kill them all), They are extinct (how about it Canadians hows that population up there), well now they are here you can't just kill them, humans told the predators to kill the livestock ( wow that one is rich too), only the alpha male and female have pups, Livestock are in Yellowstone Park where the predators would live so no wonder they kill livestock (getting better all the time), a few of them wanted to build a fence around Yellowstone park - I jumped on that faster than a tick on a dog. To bad all of these letters are in print, not on the computer.

Now as I said last night you do what you do down there and I'll do what I do up here. We live in totally different climates, geological regions, human and animal environements and elevations(depending on where you are at, I'm 4 to 20 times higher than central Texas sitting here at the computer).

If you still don't believe by the amount of other posters who also have troubles and what I say , I can just say that you don't have rattlesnakes, termites, cockroaches, and scorpions - because I don't have them here.

Looks like the Texans just can't admit that not everything is bigger and better there.

I've seen the coyotes in MT, WY, OK TX, PA, NY. The coyotes in NY, PA have had a lot of crossbreeding with dogs going on. ANybody that know what a coyote looks like know they don't ahve paws as big as a Lab. The Texas coyotes are runts compared to the Northern coyotes, except for the ones crossbred with dogs, they get big. The Coyotes in MT and WY are big and pure coyote, 70 pounders are exceedingly rare, but they are there and they are pure coyote. Most anybody that has studied anything thing to do with animla size knows that as that specie moves North and West in North America, they get bigger.

The Montana Gal is right, they will prey on whatever they want to, and think they can get away with, that is the nature of an opportunistic feeder. Whatever is small and plentiful is fine, but when small and plentiful isn't available, then bigger is fine. I've seen packs of coyotes chagse 800 pound elk in the snow, didn't kill them, but ran them enough to make them abort and eat the fetuses.

What a joke, big coyotes in Texas, yeah just like the Whitetails. Oh sure, they are a lot bigger racked than the Northern Whitetails, but they are not much bigger than a Northern coyote.
mtnman

Latest posts