Largest Terminal bull breed with good marbling ability.

Help Support CattleToday:

I think on old cow, I would only keep the absolute best cuts.. sirloin, etc... the rest will make excellent burger! It is kinda strange they show old cow steak there.

Here's a 1/2 GV 1/4 Saler steak from a 2 year old steer

A client of ours was a chef in Britain.

He told us the most expensive beef in Europe was from cows 5-8 years old; the second most expensive is 4yr old steer.

There are many ways to make beef tender. There is only one way to get that robust flavor ... umami ... and that's with older animals.

Why do you think so many restaurants use so many sauces, rubs, vegetables, bacon, etc on their beef ... vs letting the meat speak for itself ... it's because the beef itself has very little flavor (as most beef in America is under 30 months old) so the chefs combine the tenderness of younger animals with the flavor profile of a rich mushroom sauce or wrapping it in bacon.

I don't hold much faith in paper and numbers. This is a test conducted in Nebraska at local feedlots using registered stock. I find the results sobering at best, but there's no denying that Angus has been breeding for frame size for years now.

True Grit Farms":3lsk3ii7 said:

I don't hold much faith in paper and numbers. This is a test conducted in Nebraska at local feedlots using registered stock. I find the results sobering at best, but there's no denying that Angus has been breeding for frame size for years now.

From that report, your best bet over all would be with Char. Angus, and Simmy.

That might have something to do with why they are so popular...Naaaah! ;-) :dunce:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":hjacv6fi said:
I would like to see your data on the Salers. According to the MARC research I have read, Angus is the top marbling in the British breeds and Simmental is the top in the Continental breeds.

Thanks, after extensive research on the matter, I believe this is the case

MARC has determined that the Salers breed is the best marbling of the continental breeds. When they had the carcas contest in Denver, Salers won it something like 17 years in a row

Latest posts