Most number of calves

Help Support CattleToday:

In one season?

Had a neighbor get 130 calves out of a bull in a 75 day season.

Badlands

Badlands":2byn784a said:
In one season?

Had a neighbor get 130 calves out of a bull in a 75 day season.

Badlands

Natural service? Did they use him the next year?

cfpinz

He was 7 or 8 years old.

A bull of a breed that he was begining to get docked too hard for. He was 7/8 Tarentaise, 1/16 Angus, 1/16 Polled Hereford.

He made great daughters, so the guy decided to use him just one more year and get a few more daughters.

It would have been about 10 - 12 years ago, as he went to SkyMont Charolais when Goggins dispersed and picked up 7 or 8 calves for a good price, maybe 800 bucks each, or so. The next Spring, he turns out the yearling Charolais bulls and the old Black Tarentaise bull on 145 cows.

Next Fall, he gets 7 open cows.

Next Spring, he gets 8 Smokey calves. The rest were by the old bull.

Speaking of smoke, you probably think I am blowing some by now, and that is your perogative.

Badlands

Badlands":haim7raz said:
He was 7 or 8 years old.

A bull of a breed that he was begining to get docked too hard for. He was 7/8 Tarentaise, 1/16 Angus, 1/16 Polled Hereford.

He made great daughters, so the guy decided to use him just one more year and get a few more daughters.

Badlands

What a way to go! :)

cfpinz

I know it has nothing to do with cattle, but its a interesting story nonetheless.

A commercial dorper sheep farmer in the arid Karoo bought a young ram. Good quality, but still very young and way to young to even consider using. It being a dry year and the farmer trying to get some of his older ewes back into a season decided not to mate 120 of them till a few months later. It was a typical drought and the ewes was brought closer to the house to get some feed and he thought since he's going to feed the ewes anyway and he still needs the young ram to grow before being used the next season he decided why not put the young ram with the ewes, he's too young to do anything anyhow.

You guessed right. In six months time 119 ewes lambed yielding about 150 lambs. The farmer immediately went back to the breeder and bought another 3 of that ram's halfbrothers.

The most cows a bull has been exposed to that I've seen is a dairy herd of about 220 running with 2 jersey bulls. Not sure how many calves were born though, but the guy is still in business so assume he gets the cows bred.

Badlands":sdpums22 said:
We had a ram breed right at 35 ewes overnight.

Badlands

Now you're starting to make the west virginia folk on here jealous.

cfpinz

On another aspect of "how many calves", what is the greatest number of calves out of ONE momma at one time? What have you heard of or experienced yourself? A few years ago, I read of a fellow who was playing around with that by breeding twins to twins and had gotten 4 calves at once. Think he was using Tarentaise cattle but not sure of that but I think that is why I noticed it since I have Tarentaise.

When I was a kid a dairyman down the road had a Brown Swiss who gave birth to 4 sets of twins for 4 years in a row.

I think I remember the cow skipping a couple of twinning years and having 2 more sets after that.

MikeC":1tkesdxl said:
When I was a kid a dairyman down the road had a Brown Swiss who gave birth to 4 sets of twins for 4 years in a row.

I think I remember the cow skipping a couple of twinning years and having 2 more sets after that.
we had a holstein cow that had 2 sets of twin bulls in 2yrs.an then she went back to having single calves.

Schnurrbart":1eyuua2a said:
On another aspect of "how many calves", what is the greatest number of calves out of ONE momma at one time? What have you heard of or experienced yourself? A few years ago, I read of a fellow who was playing around with that by breeding twins to twins and had gotten 4 calves at once. Think he was using Tarentaise cattle but not sure of that but I think that is why I noticed it since I have Tarentaise.

We had a cow that had 3. Two alive and one stillborn because it suffocated. They all were big calves. The cows two daughters that same year each had twins. We had at least ten live calves out of seven cows all Simmental.

In the days when my dad had the dairy he had a friesian cow that had four sets of twins and one single calf. All four sets of twins were heifers with the single calf being the only bull

KNERSIE":1eptpq2r said:
The most cows a bull has been exposed to that I've seen is a dairy herd of about 220 running with 2 jersey bulls. Not sure how many calves were born though, but the guy is still in business so assume he gets the cows bred.

Dairy cows calve year-round, so their bulls don't work as hard as the beef bulls. I've seen dairies with one bull per pen of about 400 cows.

2 years ago we had a cow give birth to twin heifers in January, and then twin bulls at the end of September. She then calved again the following July.

Latest posts