Most durable ear tags

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Let me hear it boys--whats the most durable ear tag on the market? We've been using the button type and losing to many.

jedstivers":11c1jm47 said:
Z tags. Do a search on here, several threads on tags.
Same here. Been using them 5-6 years and never lost one. Prior to that used the button tags and seems cows would lose a lot every winter while eating from hay rings.

I prefer Y-Tex. They are a button tag, but they have a hard plastic collar that keeps the button from pulling out. We don't have a big problem with losing tags. We are using the Z Tag feedlot tags when we buy calves and we lose as many of those as we do Y-tex.

I luv herfrds":3o0pjc14 said:
I like our Ritchies may lose them but the numbers don't fade like others.
Do the numbers make them easier to find when they lose them? ;-) Two applications of the ink on the Z tag usually makes it about 99.9% permanent.

TB I put a tattoo of their tag number in their ears at branding. Not hard to figure them out.
Got a couple cows that lost their tags. One is 334 and the other is 223. Pretty crazy we can reconize our cows even without their tags. ;-)

I luv herfrds":1kfiybi9 said:
TB I put a tattoo of their tag number in their ears at branding. Not hard to figure them out.
Got a couple cows that lost their tags. One is 334 and the other is 223. Pretty crazy we can reconize our cows even without their tags. ;-)

Great to hear someone else that "learns" their cattle. Every cow is different. Cows can and do lose eartags so I too learn my cows. Even when we had holsteins you learned the cow...not the tag. ;-)

I discovered with the button type, if you put the button on the inside of the ear and the tag hanging from outside on the back of the ear, they stay in better. It's a lot harder for a cow to snag the back of her ear than something hanging in front.

I have had good luck with Ritchie engraveable tags. Much easier to customize a numbering system when you can enrgave the tag after the calf is born.

For those that are using the Ritchey tags, what button are you using with them? The black Y-tex, the T-lock, Allflex back, etc?

Aaron":j3z1w4xg said:
For those that are using the Ritchey tags, what button are you using with them? The black Y-tex, the T-lock, Allflex back, etc?

I reckon the Allflex button is better, but used with a softer tag.

Seen a lot of Z-tags that get lost too.

1wlimo":3gouf5fd said:
Aaron":3gouf5fd said:

I reckon the Allflex button is better, but used with a softer tag.

Seen a lot of Z-tags that get lost too.
Must have gotten hung and ripped completely thru the ear or out the end. Just stands to reason a one piece tag would not come out nearly as easily as a two piece.

You would think but they seam the break and tear when it is cold. The Allflex tag can do this too.

Latest posts