Ear Tagging

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I have a cow, a yearling, and a 2 month old calf. None of them are tagged. I know most people tag as soon as they hit the ground, but is it ok to tag at any age? I should of done the two calves but to be honest, I'm a bit nervous to do it for the first time. Any tips would be appreciated! Thanks.

Sounds like the first job to do when you get your chute set up. You can do at any age, catch their head but a bit of extra restraint is handy like a chin bar or chain or a pair of nose pliers. Use soft hands so if they do pull away as they do you don't keep hanging onto the pliers and tear their ear.

I'm sure there's a YouTube video somewhere that shows how to tag. Most of us have learned from trial and error.
I highly recommend "A" style tags either Z-tag or Allflex brand. Even if The animal pulls away or swings there head you won't year an ear.
Lots of folks tag as soon as the calf hits the ground. If you can wait a couple days the calf's ears will be more rigid and less likely to tear.
After a couple thousand you won't even think about it. 😉

If you have a heifer and you're going to do Bangs vaccine, avoid tagging the right ear-that's the Bangs ear for the vet (lesson learned)

My husband tags them in the field when they are first born. At that age they haven't developed the flight response yet and you can normally walk right up on them.
We love the Alflex one piece tags. They are really easy to use.

Attachments

• 20200908_070648.jpg
    20200908_070648.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
  • FB_IMG_1591992162491.jpg
    FB_IMG_1591992162491.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 7
Used Z-tags for 25 years; found them far better than any of the two-piece that we'd had in the past.
But... you absolutely can tear an ear putting them in, if the cow/calf is throwing their head around. We had a bunch with one - or both - ears torn, from someone who will not be named manning the tagger. Me... I just put 'em in backwards way too many times. lol

I'm not sure how many cattle I would have to have before I would consider ear tags a necessity. It might also depend on how many cattle I was planning on building up to.

you absolutely can tear an ear putting them in
Agree but once you learn the correct application technique, less so with Z tags vs two piece and especially with newborns.

I just put 'em in backwards way too many times. lol

Heartening to learn a respected DVM/diagnostician had a habit of putting the Z tags in $ss backwards. ;) :D :love:

Used Z-tags for 25 years; found them far better than any of the two-piece that we'd had in the past.
But... you absolutely can tear an ear putting them in, if the cow/calf is throwing their head around. We had a bunch with one - or both - ears torn, from someone who will not be named manning the tagger. Me... I just put 'em in backwards way too many times. lol
We also used z-tags for a couple years.
We had just switched, found our two years later all numbers disappeared so to speak.
I got in contact with local sales rep who explained problem they had with printing etc.
While in this process he also explained that the calf tags that had been manufactured had a one in each ten made had a defect. Which he explained would result in tearing of the ear as it went through. It seems the point would be blunt/fold over due to a molding issue.
That was exactly the rate of ripped ears we had in calf's using these.
In response
Z-tag replaced all our defective tags free of cost, as well sent us some calf tags free of charge.
But the rep, who is also a cattle producer convinced me to go to their two piece system.
Sent us a free tagger as well.
We have had zero issue with ripped ears since, new cow tags with lazer engrave holding up.
Would recommend go to two piece system.

I like Z tags in the cows. I have almost zero tag loss with them.
Their ink printing isn't as good as some others so I usually re ink with a marking pen before I tag them.
Still use Y tex in the calves since they are cheaper and the cutting surface isn't as aggressive.If I keep heifers,they switch to Z tags.

If you've never tagged one backward,you are either very careful or never have tagged one. :)

I just tagged some heifers that I am growing as possible replacements. As small as my herd is, I didn't think I would have any problem remembering which calf belonged to which cow (just for my records). I was wrong. I am going to have to start tagging calves young again.

Anyway, I used Y Tex tags.

if you've never tagged one backward,you are either very careful or never have tagged one.
Ensuring the tag face (numbered side) is towards you when its on the applicator prior to insertion eliminates the backwards dilemma.

Ensuring the tag face (numbered side) is towards you when its on the applicator prior to insertion eliminates the backwards dilemma.
Well, there's that. But how fun was it to have a heifer-subsequent cow named Flip? Even when the ink faded and she needed a new tag, I insisted on tagging her backward. ;) 😁

I use blank z-tags and put #, dam's #, and dob on with marking pen. Have 10 year old cows with # still very clear.

Does anyone use the insecticide ear tags? How do you use them with existing ID ear tags? Can you double them up with the ID tags, or just put them in the opposite ear? I remember years ago my dad using some small insecticide pouches that you attached around the top of an ear tag and broke the pouch to start releasing the powder, but don't see those around lately.

Does anyone use the insecticide ear tags? How do you use them with existing ID ear tags? Can you double them up with the ID tags, or just put them in the opposite ear? I remember years ago my dad using some small insecticide pouches that you attached around the top of an ear tag and broke the pouch to start releasing the powder, but don't see those around lately.
You can put the fly tag in the same ear as the ID tag. Just move over and maybe down. I have also added the fly tag to the bottom of the ID tag (punch thru the tag, not the ear). Most fly tags call for one in each ear. BUT, I don't find any fly tags that work anymore. The flies in the south seem to be resistant to all the tags. Does anyone have any success with fly tags now? If so, where are you located?

Many different brands - I have never used Z tags - I use Permaflex (same as Allflex). We tag newborns with full size tags - never change them out as they mature. I hand write on blank tags. Rarely have to replace because of being lost. Have never ripped an ear tagging calf or cow.
Just be careful to tag the ear in between the "ribs".