Removing Sale barn tags

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas said:
Finally something I know and know well. Starting fluid or lighter fluid for a grill. And yes brush it out.

An old trader told me that when I was a teen many moons ago.....

They just wear off here or get pulled off in the chute. Nothing going back to town that quick.

sstterry said:
kenny thomas said:
Finally something I know and know well. Starting fluid or lighter fluid for a grill. And yes brush it out.

I thought you were going to say light it instead of brushing it off! Remember how we used to patch inner tubes?
Lighting it sure would leave a tag mark.

So what is the technique when using lighter fluid or starting fluid. Do you squirt it behind the tag or just soak the paper and all or what?

bird dog said:
So what is the technique when using lighter fluid or starting fluid. Do you squirt it behind the tag or just soak the paper and all or what?

As soon as you get home spray under the tag pulling slightly as you spray. Then use the metal comb to clean it up.

kenny thomas said:
bird dog said:

As soon as you get home spray under the tag pulling slightly as you spray. Then use the metal comb to clean it up.

Works like a charm! Never knew they ever had tags on.

pricefarm said:
kenny thomas said:
bird dog said:

Works like a charm! Never knew they ever had tags on.
Good. Don't ask how I learned that but a really good trader still might pick it out. Lol

Yep, worked for a sale barn vet for ten years. Brushed countless back tags off of bred cows going back to a farm. We used camp oil or lighter fluid and a curry comb.

Latest posts