Buy him for $1,500.00 or pass?

• Buy him

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do Not Buy him

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Here is some new pictures of the Maine Bull I been thinking about buying. Some have recommended the Angus or Semi, and some the Maine. I am leaning towards him for different reason. I liked the Angus the best as far as over all quality, but when factoring in Price and issues such as being able to Register any offspring 50% Maine he is way I am thinking of going. At $1,500.00 I am hoping at least it is a no loose situation. He semen tested good and had good scrotum measurements.
Any opinions based on the new pictures would be appreciated before I head to Texas. I would love to see more butt on him. But like other things about him for a 12 month old PB Maine. Let me know what you think!

PBBullFortune500.jpg

PBFortune5002.jpg

PBFortune500.jpg

well,
to tell you the truth i was rooting for the Chi, as crazy as that is and as crazy as they are. but oh well.
i agree, the butt could be better but i've never seen a maine with a very good butt anyway. he has a good topline, i would like to see more depth and less leg in a bull that i would be using. but maines are traditionally supposed to be tall and leggy, i think. also he looks a little postlegged but whatever. why are you feeding him Pringles potato chips?

I liked the chi also, but shyed away from him because I plan on keeping keeping all heifers as replacements and from what I have heard Chi's are not necessarily the best moms. Little worried about this Maine getting a little tall but will be using on pretty moderate Angus crosses. He looks a little deeper bodied if you look close the shade under him is blending in with his sheath area, but would like to see him a dropped more in the flank area.

oh, good call then if you are retaining heifers. my second pick would have been the angus. then the maine, and lastly the simmentalx (only b/c he had so many ohter things mixed in)

The "butt" concern you have may solve it's own problem once he covers some cows and builds up the muscle that is there.
I may have missed it but what is his breeding?

He is out of DJ Forbes ET ,who was out of DJ Reflector and the GREAT DE 811 donor cow of Lou DeJongs. His dam goes back to Polled Pursuit twice and DMCC Mercedes once.

Why not call Gregg Stewart at Mid Continent or find a breeder closer to home? Bulls of that quality are a dime a dozen.

i likie that bull, he's got a nice haed and a decent butt. good top line not high in the flank long carries him self well i think. he would do good down here at alot of these shows

OK, you say he is a yearling. What does he weigh? Looks to have been fed properly, so should have an accurate yearling weight to judge what he will pass on to his offspring. If you are looking for show steers, you know what target weight you are looking for. So does his growth averaged with your cows equal a good steer size/weight?
What are his EPD's for future female offspring?

I know I might be dumb here. Do not know much about epd's nor have used them much. Maybe if I studied them and understood them more I would trust them more. Basically I judge on how the cattle look to the eye, then the reputation of there Ancestors as to what I want. In this case I am looking more towards a clean up bull, and one that will throw some good daughters to keep as replacements if get some of his offspring. This bull has very good maternal ancestors, so feel in that regards he will work in producing daughters, but have not checked on his epd's.

Ps. Jeanne actually hope do not get no calves from him next year seeing How I am going to try your bull when A.I'ing ;-)

Thanks all for replies!

Ps. Jeanne actually hope do not get no calves from him next year seeing How I am going to try your bull when A.I'ing
Thanks! I'm sure you will be pleased with the calves. If you want help in figuring out epd's on Simmental, you can pm me. But, basically, you find out what the averages for the breed are and compare the bull you're looking at to breed averages. And if you have more than one bull, you compare the different traits, to see which individual bull is better in the traits you are looking for. In the Simm, the only one that is "better" with a lower figure is CE & MCE & YG. But "better" than breed average might not be what an individual is looking for. Too much milk?? Too much growth??

Based on Simmental Epd's go is Macho good in birthing weights? and Milk.

I mostly want to get some good simi/angus and maybe some simi/maine heifers that will make good cows. Most of my heifers and cows already have some good maternal genetics in them and want to continue to improve in this area on replacements.

My worries is that since he is a yearling he hasn't had proven show calves. His butt is a little small but he could grow into that. Could you consider AI'ing or Leasing a proven bull. From what I know about show cattle (very little) proven parents are kinda a big deal. Has he shown at all? Won anything? I do like him other than that though. I am very new to the show world so if needed my opinion can be disgarded. :D

I know he is not Halter broken so that would mean he was never shown. Using A.I. is my intentions, I actually hope that i do not get any calves out of him except on some commercial cows I use him on just to take to stock yards. Would love for A.I. breeding to stick 100% but realize that is wishful thinking. I was hoping he would work as a clean up when not working on some Commercials.

Well than with that said I would buy him. You won't have quite as much money at stake if he was a clean up bull. I would buy him and see how he turns out. Good luck!!! Kaneranch

kaneranch":302aplsz said:
I would buy him and see how he turns out. Good luck!!! Kaneranch
That's not much reason to buy a bull, "to see how he turns out." He will probaly need plenty of luck.

Well I would not have told him this if I did not think that he has the potential to be a good bull. Any time you buy a yearling bull or a replacement heifer you have to "See how they turn out". That is just just my opinion

kaneranch":1bdrm7zc said:
"See how they turn out". That is just just my opinion
You may have to see how they turn out, but you don't buy them for that reason.

I will agree with that. I think that this bull has the potential to be a good bull, and that is all that you can really say about any bull that you haven't seen any calves from. I would like to know aplusmnt why you are picking a Maine bull for commercial cows. Thanks kaneranch

Latest posts