more holstein pictures =)

Help Support CattleToday:

those are some nice looking milk cows.they have plenty of grass to eat thats for sure.

TB... LOL. Here's some more for you...

View attachment 2
2nd lactation animal. Has had the hernia since a calf.

View attachment 1
4+ lactation cow

3+ lactation cow... had twins awhile back and I don't think she's bred back since then

Last cows were out of the milking barn by 6am this morning, pics taken around 8am.

One more for ya... max number of attachments per post is 3. :roll:

3rd lactation cow, runs about an 11 month calving interval.

What are the tags on the back legs used for? ? ? Just more I.D. info? ? ?

Jo -- it's sagebrush. More common than grass out here. :p

K2011 -- yellow bands mark the cows that have or had a case of mastitis (milkers are dipped in iodine after coming off those cows), green bands mark 2 or 3 quarter cows, and red bands mark treated cows. If you look at the at the black cow in the middle of the first picture, she has a piece of twine tied on her leg; she's a dry cow. Relatively cheap way of identifying cows. :lol:

MM you are going to laugh at this but the nurseries around here sell something that looks exactly like that for $4.50 /1gal container. They call it Texas Sage. Has same color foliage and has pinkish or lavender looking little flowers on it. Not sure, but it sure looks an aweful lot like that.

Those are pretty MM.

My 7yo glanced at my monitor and laughed at the 3rd picture of your first post. Thought it looked like a 3 headed cow on the right.

Daisy-- with beef cows you talk about "calves", based on the assumption that a cow has a calf every year; ie that's a 1st calf heifer, 2nd calver, 3rd calver, etc. Dairy cows don't always calve every year; some go up to 2 years or more between calves. So we talk about "lactations". A new lactation starts (of course) when the cow has another calf. So a 3rd lactation animal has had 3 calves. I added the plus sign to some of the numbers since I don't know if the cow has had more lactations than I'm aware of.

milkmaid":1lsmxwvq said:
Jo -- it's sagebrush. More common than grass out here. :p

K2011 -- yellow bands mark the cows that have or had a case of mastitis (milkers are dipped in iodine after coming off those cows), green bands mark 2 or 3 quarter cows, and red bands mark treated cows. If you look at the at the black cow in the middle of the first picture, she has a piece of twine tied on her leg; she's a dry cow. Relatively cheap way of identifying cows. :lol:

Milkmaid...you guys run all your cattle together (milking herd, dry cows, cows on medicine)????? Wow, I hope the boss does the milking. Looks like an accident looking for a place to happen. :help:

TB -- yes. We've milked over 100 before but right now it's around 60-70 head. He's always felt it's simplest to run everything together and over the years I've decided I agree completely. The percentage of cows with ketosis, milk fever, dystocia, etc is very low so there's never been a reason to do things differently.

The herd is basically run like an organic operation; in fact, the entire heifer herd and most of the hay fields are certified organic. Nowdays he rarely dry-treats unless there's a nice cow with a clinical case of mastitis prior to dry off. Before I left for college it was relatively common to dry treat everything, culture fresh cows, culture any new cases of mastitis before and after treatment, etc. I took care of all that and the records. After I left it was just his boys and later a neighbor kid, and so he didn't dare put anything on antibiotics. Boss does spend a lot of time in the barn, but not enough to be comfortable leaving kids and hot cows in the same milking barn. :p

Jogeephus":106orxqs said:
MM you are going to laugh at this but the nurseries around here sell something that looks exactly like that for $4.50 /1gal container. They call it Texas Sage. Has same color foliage and has pinkish or lavender looking little flowers on it. Not sure, but it sure looks an aweful lot like that.

I'm having trouble remembering right now if our sagebrush has flowers. Maybe earlier in the spring, before I came home. It's not flowering right now.

Someone probably decided they knew the perfect way to make a bit of extra cash... and they're probably doing really well at it too, eh? :lol2: We have so much of it out here (kind of invasive, too, as long as the area is dry) that shucks, if you want to pay $4.50/bush I'll send you everything in my pasture. COD. :lol2: :p ;-)

Latest posts