More four wheeler ?s

Help Support CattleToday:

SmokinM

Reaction score
Don't want to high jack anybody's thread but am at the point I think I will have to buy one with a couple big hi tensile jobs coming up. I haven't messed with them much so don't know the best brands or more importantly the worst. Looking for a workhorse model not speed or fun. I know I need 4wd and a winch. Probably be like the truck and tractor threads as far as brand preference but any info would be great. Thanks!

I have had good luck with Kawasaki. I have had several of them. Down to just a side by side Mule with a dump bed now.

I really like my 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 400. I've got 6500 hard miles on it and has never given me any issues. My next one will have to come from MN as my local dealer gave up the franchise in favor of Arctic Cat.

Insure the bed is low enough that you can left heavy stuff into the back of it. That's why we've always gome with kawasaki mules vs any of the others.

I have a Kawasaki dealer a 1/2 mile from the house so I was going to start there but check them all out. Used are hard to find here. They are either junk or $5k plus and I wouldn't think used would be much more but I may be wrong. Thanks and keep the help coming I appreciate the input.

SmokinM":1hezfosy said:
I have a Kawasaki dealer a 1/2 mile from the house so I was going to start there but check them all out. Used are hard to find here. They are either junk or $5k plus and I wouldn't think used would be much more but I may be wrong. Thanks and keep the help coming I appreciate the input.
You better be sitting down when they tell you the price of a new one!

I Highly reccomend Honda. Have owned about 7 and sevarel had over 20000 miles by the time we sold them. I've got 2 2007 420 ranchers now with over 10000 miles. Only thing on a Honda that you don't want is electric shift, but the power steering is very nice.

We have owned every brand made, like I said go da had been by far the best, Yamaha probably second thenPolaris. Kawasaki is decent but I wouldn't reccomend one. And the worst by a big margin is arctic cat, Owned 6 of them and could tell you story after story of things that happened to them.

On our second Yamaha, only got 16 or 17 years out of the first one a Moto Four 350. Got a Grizzly 550 with power steering now, so far so good. Fuel injection is nice in the cold weather. Although sometimes I wish I would have went the UTV route. Neighbor has had good luck with Hondas. I just like the set up of the Yamaha better.

dun":avk9c495 said:
SmokinM":avk9c495 said:
You better be sitting down when they tell you the price of a new one!

I don't doubt that!! Like I said I could be wrong! That's why I am asking so I know a little of what I am looking for. There is a nice Polaris 500 on CL with some bells and whistles and only 160 mi. for $5500. How is that price wise? I know you guys use them everyday and I think once I have it I will use it a fair amount but I have bought good trucks for less money. Guess I am a tightwad. :nod:

A.J.":1mvrpazt said:
Brute 23":1mvrpazt said:
Honda Foreman
I'll second on the Foreman. I've got 10 good years of service out of mine so far.

I'll third that. Dad has a 1999 model Forman 400 that the hour meter quit five years ago at 2700 hours and brakes is the only repair that has ever been done to it. It is not the best riding or the fastest model out there, but it is hard to beat the reliability and durability of them. If I was buying new I would look long and hard at a rancher 420s. Fuel injection and the same manual shift transmission that Honda has used since the 90s.

Sad day here, my 450 Forman gave up the ghost yeasterday. 14 years old, and had been abused everyday of its life. I guess I'll be out shopping soon. Certain I'll get a honda. Hopefully what ever the biggest one they make is.

Bigfoot":1i2zit0x said:
Sad day here, my 450 Forman gave up the ghost yeasterday. 14 years old, and had been abused everyday of its life. I guess I'll be out shopping soon. Certain I'll get a honda. Hopefully what ever the biggest one they make is.

Get a ridgeline. lol

That sucks Bigfoot. Will you buy a new one to replace it? They are definately more money than I was thinking. Sounds like I should stick to Honda, Yamaha or Kawasaki. Might be why most all the used ones I find are Artic Cats or Polaris. Found one nice Honda about 2 hrs. away but they want $7500 for it. Yikes!

Latest posts