More cloning from Drovers alert

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
FDA close to approving clones
By the end of this year, the Food and Drug Administration is expected to announce that the marketing of milk and meat from cloned animals and their offspring for public consumption may begin, based on new data demonstrating that these products pose no risks different from any other milk or meat. Some predict a lucrative market for the cloned products, saying they will offer a higher level of consistency and quality. Transgenic animals, to which specific genes are added, will be regulated very differently, the agency says; they will be approached in the same way pharmaceuticals are. No transgenic animals are on the market currently.
FDA says it has "studies that show that the meat and milk from cattle clones and their offspring are as safe as that from conventionally bred animals." But consumer groups say they will fight to ensure food from cloned animals is labeled as such. The Washington-based Center for Food Safety says food labels should disclose if food products are from a cloned animal. The National Milk Producers Federation, however, says distinctions between products should not be made where none exist. — Greg Henderson, Drovers editor

Hmmm... I wonder about the cost? A few years ago at the Short Course at A & M they were discussing it, and said $30K - $40K cost until it gets more routine. Predicting in 10 years you could get a cow / bull cloned for $10,000.

TheBullLady":pbmtcoxg said:
Hmmm... I wonder about the cost? A few years ago at the Short Course at A & M they were discussing it, and said $30K - $40K cost until it gets more routine. Predicting in 10 years you could get a cow / bull cloned for $10,000.

Would seem that it would make for some awfully expensive burger if you ate the clone.

dun

There is a dairy near us that had some cloned holsteins at one time. All my info was second-hand but I heard that the clones always seemed to have health problems. No genetic problems, just sickly animals. That was a few years ago, maybe it's no longer an issue.

The labels on some beef is going to be pretty long a few years from now. You can have organic, hormone free, antibiotic free, and now clone free beef.

They are already getting the price down. I know a guy that is getting 15 guaranteed live clone calves at the price of 6,166 each.

Rod

MR3":ougxorcx said:
They are already getting the price down. I know a guy that is getting 15 guaranteed live clone calves at the price of 6,166 each.

Rod

Only $6,166 each! What a bargain

dun

There was a Brangus breeder here in OK that had the "perfect" bull, except they couldn't collect him. He worked fine natural service, but they couldn't build an inventory. We HEARD he was going to have him cloned by Texas A&M for $10,000. That was several years ago, though, and last time I saw him, he wasn't even in the cattle business anymore so I don't know if it ever happened. I really can't see cloning being much of a factor in the beef business. It's always going to be more expensive than natural breeding and I think we can always improve the cattle. Maybe dairy and show cattle will be more affected.

They have cloned Prime YG1 steers off of the line. Talk about carcass data. That is where i see the most impact in the Beef business.

In college, I worked in a lab where they did experiments with cloning from cells. Though I wasn't privy to most of what went on - I was a glorified dishwasher you see - I did see some weird FU stuff come out of the secure room for my disposal. It was interesting - but weird.