Moonshine

Help Support CattleToday:

One of the best Cough Syrups known to Tennessee kind is about 20 sticks of King Leo Peppermint, slowly dissolved in a quart Mason jar of shine. Guaranteed to stop even the most stubborn coughs.Just put it in the deep freeze for later use.

Not-So-Plain-Country Girl":2u6bd2za said:
My father-in-law has gotten a quart jar of cherries in moon shine as a Christmas gift from one of his old radio buddies. What's that for?

Probably to flavor it and dilute it some. He probably could get drunk just eating the cherries - you can get pretty toasted eating watermellons injected with it.

Wewild":3r9tgm1k said:
One glass of this over the rocks and your set for a nap - just add crushed ice until you hear the faint sound of your glass hitting the floor then worry about it in the morning.

That was great! :lol: :lol: :lol:

not too long ago about 25 miles away over in WV a man was caught for selling moonshine...was in the newspaper, said they'd been watching him for almost 2 years before they caught him in the act of selling it...well they went and arrested him, took his still and everything away...maybe a week after that, police found a meth lab maybe 1/2 mile away from the location of the still...the people that owned it packed up and left when the cops took down the moonshiner ... :roll: seems to me the government should be more focused on crackheads in meth labs than a fellar making whiskey...

millstreaminn":wkdlj14u said:
Wewild":wkdlj14u said:
One glass of this over the rocks and your set for a nap - just add crushed ice until you hear the faint sound of your glass hitting the floor then worry about it in the morning.

That was great! :lol: :lol: :lol:

He is good like that. See below for the real author.

Jogeephus":wkdlj14u said:
One glass of this over the rocks and your set for a nap - just add crushed ice until you hear the faint sound of your glass hitting the floor then worry about it in the morning. :lol:

The law caught on to some of the boys around here a few years ago when it was noticed they were buying suspiciously large quantities of sugar.

They tried to explain that they were making alcohol strictly for medicinal purposes. Didn't work.

Hey Ryder! Its like a ghost town around here after midnight, was starting to get scared ~ glad to see someone else is up and on:)

FarmGirl10":1uybar7i said:
It's legal to make for your own use, atleast it is in Ohio.

Not trying to argue - just wanting to keep any potential brewmeisters from getting in a bind - state law cannot supercede federal law. Liquor making is controlled by the US Dept. of Treasury - ATF in particular. It is a federal crime to distill alcohol without a permit. You will go to federal court for distilling it - not state.

You can run a still, but you must pay a yearly federal permit fee, plus a state fee, plus you must have the still in its own building (not your house) and the building must meet certain standards. Failure to pay this fee is viewed as federal tax evasion. "Presence at an unpermitted unregistered still without a good explanation of why you were there is sufficient grounds for conviction". Jury?

Also, it is legal to buy stills from stores and such. Just that, the seller is required by federal law to supply the ATF with the names of the buyers. So, if you buy one you'll probably get to meet a real GMan. :lol:

Jogeephus":1ehl1eei said:
FarmGirl10":1ehl1eei said:

Not trying to argue - just wanting to keep any potential brewmeisters from getting in a bind - state law cannot supercede federal law. Liquor making is controlled by the US Dept. of Treasury - ATF in particular. It is a federal crime to distill alcohol without a permit. You will go to federal court for distilling it - not state.

You can run a still, but you must pay a yearly federal permit fee, plus a state fee, plus you must have the still in its own building (not your house) and the building must meet certain standards. Failure to pay this fee is viewed as federal tax evasion. "Presence at an unpermitted unregistered still without a good explanation of why you were there is sufficient grounds for conviction". Jury?

Also, it is legal to buy stills from stores and such. Just that, the seller is required by federal law to supply the ATF with the names of the buyers. So, if you buy one you'll probably get to meet a real GMan. :lol:

I'm qurious to know why "Presence at an unpermitted unregistered still without a good explanation of why you were there is sufficient grounds for conviction" would be grounds for conviction. It is not illegal to make wine or beer. It is also not illegal to make fuel from a still. Are you quoting law or inferring this from the law?

Walt

By the way thanks for the posts everyone.

Frequently asked questions to the ATF:

G6: Can a student make alcohol as part of a science fair project?

Well, under current law and regulations, we cannot allow you to conduct experiments involving distillation of alcohol at your home.
As an alternative, Federal law allows us to issue a permit for an alcohol fuel plant, or AFP. Under this type of permit, experiments with alcohol fuels can be conducted at locations properly qualified with TTB.

Here's what has to be done:

· An authorized representative of your school (a teacher or other school official) must complete and forward an application form 5110.74 to us to establish a small AFP at your school.

· The experiment must be conducted at your school under appropriate adult supervision.

· The school official must tell us how long the experiment will last. They may allow for additional time in case your experiment is selected for additional competition or display at a regional or area science fair. And,

· The school official must describe the adult supervision that will be provided. We require this because we are concerned about the safety of children handling hazardous materials and using distillation equipment with alcohol-even with adult supervision.

These steps apply primarily to students who are in elementary through high school. Make sure your application is filed as soon as possible to allow enough time for us to process it. You cannot begin the experiment until we issue you a permit.

Application form 5110.74 and additional information are available from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, National Revenue Center, Spirits Unit A, 550 Main Street, Room 8002, Cincinnati, OH 45202-3263, 1-800-398-2282 or (513) 684-7150, [email protected].

Txwalt":27d9519i said:
Jogeephus":27d9519i said:
FarmGirl10":27d9519i said:

I'm qurious to know why "Presence at an unpermitted unregistered still without a good explanation of why you were there is sufficient grounds for conviction" would be grounds for conviction. It is not illegal to make wine or beer. It is also not illegal to make fuel from a still. Are you quoting law or inferring this from the law?

Walt

By the way thanks for the posts everyone.

Qouting US sentencing guidelines for judges. Can't remember the case name it was taken from though.

Today, I talked to a friend who has more experience in these matters and he said they will normally smash your still and fine you $17.00/gallon. That was the last fine he paid but that was also a few years ago.

I asked him about doing time and he said they usually took the money from you but if you continued to get caught jail time was in order. Said the $17/gal was what the liquor tax is on a distillery - or used to be. Considering he ran a 1000 gal kettle, that's a pretty tough fine to cough up.

Personally, I think the ATF has bigger fish to fry than someone just making a little as a hobby and not selling it. But you never know. So I think it would be best to use equal parts discretion with the sugar.JMO

MikeC":1dn8ayw6 said:
Frequently asked questions to the ATF:

G6: Can a student make alcohol as part of a science fair project?

Well, under current law and regulations, we cannot allow you to conduct experiments involving distillation of alcohol at your home.
As an alternative, Federal law allows us to issue a permit for an alcohol fuel plant, or AFP. Under this type of permit, experiments with alcohol fuels can be conducted at locations properly qualified with TTB.

Here's what has to be done:

· An authorized representative of your school (a teacher or other school official) must complete and forward an application form 5110.74 to us to establish a small AFP at your school.

· The experiment must be conducted at your school under appropriate adult supervision.

· The school official must tell us how long the experiment will last. They may allow for additional time in case your experiment is selected for additional competition or display at a regional or area science fair. And,

· The school official must describe the adult supervision that will be provided. We require this because we are concerned about the safety of children handling hazardous materials and using distillation equipment with alcohol-even with adult supervision.

These steps apply primarily to students who are in elementary through high school. Make sure your application is filed as soon as possible to allow enough time for us to process it. You cannot begin the experiment until we issue you a permit.

Application form 5110.74 and additional information are available from the Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, National Revenue Center, Spirits Unit A, 550 Main Street, Room 8002, Cincinnati, OH 45202-3263, 1-800-398-2282 or (513) 684-7150, [email protected].

I assume that is vocational ed in 'Bama. :lol: :lol:

MikeC":sjdcos21 said:
I assume that is vocational ed in 'Bama.

Yes, and I teach it very well too. :lol:

Excellent trade to know. If the economy is doing good, you can use it in the celebrations and parties. If the economy is in the toilet, you can stay drunk so you just won't give a toot. :lol: