Moonshine

Help Support CattleToday:

As I understand it, it is illegal to make it. You can own a still but you cannot distill alcohol unless you get a permit to make fuel. But you cannot make blueberry medley, or appleshine, or stumpwater or any other of the foul forms of drink. I honestly don't know why you would ask such cause nobody does it anymore. Nobody.

Jogeephus,

You apparently have no connections in the state of Kentucky have you ?

Stepper":1qs5ky4e said:
Jogeephus,

You apparently have no connections in the state of Kentucky have you ?

No but I know they got some good springwater which I would assume would make some fantastic fuel. ;-)

White Lighting is alive an well in our state. Some of the best i've had came from the mountains of east Tenn.
Johnson City as a matter of fact.

curtis":3uoaax2v said:
White Lighting is alive an well in our state. Some of the best i've had came from the mountains of east Tenn.

I've got a good friend whose probably sold more corn by the gallon than by the bushel.

Its a dying art. My hats off to those who risk so much for so little just to continue a tradition.

curtis":277bchqx said:

Or "honey dew vine water" as Jimmy Buffett has referred to it.

When i was a kid growing up my dad an i would sit in the front yard late in the afternoon an count 5 to 10 smokes coming from the stills in the creek bottoms.

A lot of times while squirrel hunting i would walk right in to a still, visit for a little while maybe even have a little sip and go on my way. It just was not a big deal back then. Some of the best farm and pasture land around here was bought an paid for with shine money.

Illegal to sell it without a government stamp on it for taxes.
Personal use ok.

Not as prevalent as it once was, but there is still some in circulation. That stuff can singe the hair out of your throat.

There some guys south of me who are in it in a big way. Its kinda funny cause the ATF knows who they are and they play a cat and mouse game with them. Neither takes it personally, each just does his job.(Reminds me of the cartoon with the sheepdog and the coyote :lol: ) Anyway, one agent I know will even eat lunch with them at times. Every now and then he'll get lucky and get a still or two but no one has ever gotten any major time yet.

Fires this summer probably did more to hurt the stills than anything. State patrolman told me he saw three explosions while working traffic in Fargo. Big boom then a big blue ball of fire rising above the trees. Turns out they were stills going up in smoke. :lol:

TxWalt,
I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe that in Texas you can make it for personal consumption. One of my best friends makes beer year round, another makes wine by the gallons. You would need a license to sell though. I can try and check with TABC if you want. I have some contacts there that I'd be more than glad to ask.

I had seen some Discovery Channel doc about moonshine a year or two ago and they were showing big busts. 'Course, these guys had warehouses full of shine and the materials to make it.

ERodrig":25zkbrpi said:
TxWalt,
I'm not 100 percent certain, but I believe that in Texas you can make it for personal consumption. One of my best friends makes beer year round, another makes wine by the gallons. You would need a license to sell though. I can try and check with TABC if you want. I have some contacts there that I'd be more than glad to ask.

That's what we thought too and I believe its a very common misconception. I'm pretty sure it works like this. It is OK to make less than 100 gallons of beer or wine as long as you don't sell it. But when you start seperatating pure ethyl alcohol that is a big no no.

Talk Show Mod":7a1o8dcl said:
Pulaski and Big Sandy Tn. Two big K.K.k. towns?
Not two big KKK towns. Pulaski was the birthplace of the triple K. Had nothing to do with killing Coloreds. Frst agenda was cleaning up White Trash.

Crowderfarms":184dd8zv said:
Talk Show Mod":184dd8zv said:
Pulaski and Big Sandy Tn. Two big K.K.k. towns?
Not two big KKK towns. Pulaski was the birthplace of the triple K. Had nothing to do with killing Coloreds. Frst agenda was cleaning up White Trash.

I agree. During the north's occupation during the reconstruction, it was the only form of law in my area. This era bred a lot of resentment toward the north. Klansman restored law and order since the carpetbaggers were to busy stealing and creating illegal taxes and tariffs. My uncle has the law book and it has nothing to do with race. The Klan served its purpose and is gone. What we have now is a bunch of hatemongers calling themselves klansmen. (Sorry Bubba :oops: :lol: )

All of the Klansmen I know here are "Equal Opportunity" hatemongers.

They still like their "Shine", aka "Joe Louis", too. :lol:

Yes, Pulaski is the birthplace of the KKK. NO, not everyone here is a member. As a matter of fact, we have a White Supremecist group who comes to town from several other states and tries to put on a parade and carnival and the whole town basically shuts down until they leave.

My grandfather told me that he remembered the Klan when he was young, he told me that they did hang a black man who raped a white girl in the town square. But he said that the Klan was primarily there to help keep law and order. He told me about a white man who had a family and all he wanted to do was drink and run around while the wife and kids were left on the farm to run things and do without. A visit fromthe men in white sheets and a thorough ass whipping straightened him up and he did right by his family after that. The KKK isn't mentioned here much anymore. Moonshine, however is.