moonshine

Help Support CattleToday:

For the conspiricy theorists: I can now see that the government made the auto manufacturers change their radiators to plastic so they couldn;t be used to make shine

When I was in college the neighbors had a "stil" in the closet of their on-campus apartment. While kids at other colleges are hacking into stuff and designing computer programs we were making moonshine... only at TSTC can you get an education like that. :kid:

My Uncle Gene helped to put himself through college at Texas Tech making shine in the basement of his dorm in the fifties. Lubbock was notirously dry then.

denoginnizer":3j1w8fr3 said:
I bet a man that was good with metal and machinery and farming could figure out how to make a little shine.

Do you reckon so? :D :D :D

Right now I am thinking there wouldn't be much competition in these parts.

There's probably 100 mentors in Glen Rose sitting around in the nursing homes. It is only 24 miles away.

Hmmmm.

Brute 23":b9z6eznh said:
When I was in college the neighbors had a "stil" in the closet of their on-campus apartment. While kids at other colleges are hacking into stuff and designing computer programs we were making moonshine... only at TSTC can you get an education like that. :kid:

We did the same. Had a really nice still made completely of copper. It was beauiful. Made by some Ag-Engineering students. I think the school even furnished the materials. ;-) Never sold any just made enough for our own use but it got confiscated. This is when we learned you can't teach someone discretion. :oops:

Jogeephus":1snpnmeh said:
Brute 23":1snpnmeh said:

We did the same. Had a really nice still made completely of copper. It was beauiful. Made by some Ag-Engineering students. I think the school even furnished the materials. ;-) Never sold any just made enough for our own use but it got confiscated. This is when we learned you can't teach someone discretion. :oops:

Yeah Jo, I got tricked into taking a swallow of that straight from the still made by another earlier bunch of AEN students. Their still was made from pyrex glass. For about a minute there, I thought I wasn't going to be able to get my breath back. Must've been 150 proof. The tricksters thought it was uproariouslly funny.

jedstivers":2d9jpkpa said:
When I was in S. GA last winter they just happened to have a little, it was just a tad bit stout.
I know what you mean. You don't have to drink it. Just unscrew the lid and take a whiff. Then try to stand upright after you quit gasping.

ga. prime":1ffhl0u4 said:
Jogeephus":1ffhl0u4 said:
Brute 23":1ffhl0u4 said:

Yeah Jo, I got tricked into taking a swallow of that straight from the still made by another earlier bunch of AEN students. Their still was made from pyrex glass. For about a minute there, I thought I wasn't going to be able to get my breath back. Must've been 150 proof. The tricksters thought it was uproariouslly funny.

As George Jones said... :)

I took a little sip and right away I knew
As my eyes bugged out and my face turned blue
Lightnin' started flashin' and thunder started crashin'
Shhhoooh . . . white lightnin'

Red Bull Breeder":p2dswggk said:
Now folks i have been around alot of moonshine. Anybody can make a alcohol there is a real art to making good drinking whiskey.
or as we always called it "Sippin Cider"

their is an art to it I have had some that was very ood and some that would curl you toenails plum thru your boots

neighbor kid was a chemistry whizz and he had a still and made shine,ran his VW bug on it it was around 180 proof when he had it tested

makin whiskey isn't illegal selling it is

Angus Cowman":2t4b4537 said:

If you distill alcohol in any way you have just broken the law. A stupid law but a law none the less. It is a dying art. As said, its really not worth the trouble if you are trying to make money at it. On the otherhand, if you value your heritage and history it might just be worth the trouble to some. But if you do this, it is very important in these times to hide your worm. Kettles and such don't matter that much but the worm does.

I hear what you are saying about heritage. My cousins grandfather was from the Tyrol in Northern Italy. He would always make a second wine, by adding water sugar and raisins to the must. Then he would distill the resulting product into Brandy. There were different grades, ranging from jet fuel to nectar of the gods. I am proud to say I am in possesion of some of both. They were made in the late 50's aged in wood and then bottled.

Beleive me they only come out for a toast to a Groom right before the ceremony or a burying. They are priceless.

Jogeephus":36yewwf5 said:
Angus Cowman":36yewwf5 said:

If you distill alcohol in any way you have just broken the law. A stupid law but a law none the less. It is a dying art. As said, its really not worth the trouble if you are trying to make money at it. On the otherhand, if you value your heritage and history it might just be worth the trouble to some. But if you do this, it is very important in these times to hide your worm. Kettles and such don't matter that much but the worm does.
Well, you might be wrong, because my dad asked the sheriff a couple years ago and he said pretty much what AC said. You can make it for personal use but you cant make over 300 gallons a year.

Laws may very state to state but making shine is aganist the fed laws , you can not(CAN NOT) maks so much as a ounce,in any state, at any time...Beer and wine can be made (thank you Jimmy carter) Distilled can not...There is a great web site about a guy in ak. that makes stills , and sells them( some one smarter than me, list it , it is great)

Jogeephus":4c39a66j said:
Angus Cowman":4c39a66j said:

Seems like this guy would have went to jail then because he done it for yrs and they had several write ups in the paper and in a couple of magazines about him making it

Angus Cowman":372667t6 said:
Jogeephus":372667t6 said:
Angus Cowman":372667t6 said:

Seems like this guy would have went to jail then because he done it for yrs and they had several write ups in the paper and in a couple of magazines about him making it

He may have the neccessary permits and keep the neccessary paperwork on the inventory and the taxes. Our old sheriff said it was OK to make a little then he learned different and told us we had to shut it down or get things permitted. Seems like the permit for a legal still is $800 plus you have to pay somewhere around $20 a gallon in federal taxes. On top of this we were told the still has to comply with OSHA regulations which are not practical for a small operation. You can find this informationn on line if you dig. Start with the ATF site.

It is not illegal to own a still. Its not illegal to have mash in your still. However, it is illegal to have distilled alcohol in your worm. It is ironic that federal tax dollars are being used to rebuild George Washington's still for historic reasons. I think this is great and I thnk the Blueberry Medley is worth preserving too.