Montana Pic

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
One of the great things about hunting Montana.

You come across stuff like this.

P1010097.jpg

Jogeephus":28ipwbdw said:
Looks like they cut every tree for miles to build the place. :lol:

The reason a lot of those old houses were built of sod or stone...The first house my grandparents lived in the first year they were in Montana was built out of a combination of all three- lumber, sod, and rocks....

Then they shipped lumber in from Wisconsin on the train and freighted it 30 miles by team and wagon to build the main house--which took a lot of lumber since it was one of those old square two stories with 5 bedrooms, kitchen/dining room, living room- large pantry room, which in the 60s was converted to a bathroom with the coming of electricity and running water...They raised 9 kids and took in hundreds of overnight boarders in that house.....

I spent a couple of summers in a cowcamp building much like the one in the picture-altho in a little better shape....

Looks like either these folks got wealthy or had too many kids as part of the house looks to have been added on...That was common with some of the homestead houses--couple more kids- add on another room ;-) :lol:

There's still a quite a few remnants of homesteads in MT. Every time there's a prairie fire takes a few more. This cabin is about 5 miles from the Missouri Breaks and a couple miles from the foothills of the Little Rockies, so there was a good source of logs nearby.
But most of the homesteads in Eastern MT were far form good wood supplies.

Several years ago I was in Otter Montana and I saw a few of those houses and I always wondered where the lumber came from. I found a petrified forest on a bluff but still no trees to speak of. Definitely a different landscape than what I am used to. Enjoyed my visit though and hope to go back one day.

Latest posts