momma won't take calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jcissell

Reaction score
I have a calf that was borning early this morning. It was really cold and wasn't getting up eating so I brought it home, dried it off, and feed it a bottle of colostrum. Now it's mother won't take it. She walks around looking for her calf but doesn't recognize this as hers. I guess I took it away too early but it had already been cleaned up so I thought it would probably be ok. Normally I would have left the calf a little while longer but I have already lost 3 due to cold weather so I didn't want to chance this one. Any tips on getting its momma to take it? I really don't want to bottle feed. If I get its momma in the chute and let the calf suck should I leave the calf out with the momma during this really cold weather even though she just leaves it alone? Or should I bring it home? If I can I am going to put a heat lamp in the barn tomorrow and just lock both of them up in there for a few days and hopes she accepts it.

One more thing. I've got another that I am really not for sure if it is sucking. I know the mother accepts it b/c if you get within 15 yards she tries to run you off. I fed the baby a bottle of colostrum but I don't know if it has eaten since then. It was born on the 13th. Once again the hardest part is that it is so cold outside.

Josh

I had one like you are talking about. I would go in the stall and feed it til the Moma took it or he found out what it was, the 3rd day he was nursing. Registered Bull.........he made it and was very gentle.

Good Luck

Oh No More has never failed for me. I'm sure they have other calf claim products that work well also. If they have trouble like that I usually put them in a stall in the barn for a few days and run mom in the head gate and get the calf on her to suck. Had a first calver last year that would knock the calf down if he approached her, put her in the head gate and she would stand so nice! No kicking or anything. Briefly entertained the idea of a styrofoam head gate for her to wear in the pasture. She took almost a week. If you can milk her out even and feed that to the calf, it would be better than replacer. Good luck! It gets fustrating sometimes! An old farmer told me last year they tie a dog up close to the pen, makes the cow want to protect and mother up to the calf? Never tried that.

There is a product called O-No-Mo that is a powder - ver inexpensive. EVERYONE should have a bottle tucked away in their calving supplies just for this reason. Cow can't resist licking it. You sprinkle it all over the calf & on the cows nose if possible. USUALLY, if a cow licks the calf, she'll accept it.
If you lock them up together, & try the urine/and or manure (best if you still had some of the afterbirth - but probably all frozen) they should bond. But be sure to keep feeding the calf one way or the other.
Good luck.

The only time I had problems with a heifer claiming her calf was a monster bull calf that we pulled. She kept looking at it like, "That surely didn't come out of me". I put a small pan of grain next the calf and sprinkled some grain on the calf. An hour later she was feeding it, and still licking the grain off.

dun

Do you guys have some kind of calf warmer that you use in the field? I lost another calf this morning due to the cold. She had the calf and had it cleaned and dried but the calf was too weak to get up and suck. We tried rubbing with towels and covering it with blankets to get it warm. Once we even stood it up but had to hold it to keep it from falling over. I used my last bag of colostrum yesterday so I had to make a trip to get some and when I got back the calf was almost dead. Brought it in the house and before we could get it in warm water it died. I didn't bring it home before the trip b/c a guy told me I should leave it with its momma. On the other hand if I do take it I have problems also. I have 2 calves now, one born thursday and one saturday, that both would have died if I hadn't brought them home. Now one calf's mother won't take it and I think the other calf doesn't know who it's mother is. I think it thinks I am its mother. I really can't tell if it is eating.

I swear this had been a bad year. We've had cows for 9 or more years now and I believe we have had more problems in the last month with calves than the entire time we have had cattle. I am about ready to give up.

Josh

Hang in there Josh. There have been many times I have wanted to just give up too. In fact I even sold off half my herd in a quick decision when everything was going wrong. Now I am trying to build up my herd again and the sad thing is I sold off some of my best cows. Is there any way you can move the cows that are going to calve & the ones that have just calved closer to your home to keep watch on them? Or to a shelter that you can set up a temporaray place to warm the calves with the mom close by? Where do you live? Is the weather also wet? Or just cold? Do they have a lot of places to calve out of the wind? Like I said just hang in there!

Hey Josh,

Sounds like you're having a tough go of it. Maybe I can offer a few ideas on how we keep those chilled calves going up here in the north.

1. If the calf is chilled (inside of mouth cool to the touch), bring it inside. Pronto. In my own experience sticking your finger in the calf's mouth is the quickest and most efficient way of guaging temperature when every second counts. Even if you're just out in the pickup, it's a far better environment than the great outdoors when you've got a calf that's hypothermiating. I've had a few calves in the backseat of my old crewcab over the years, and I doubt that will quit anytime soon. Your first course of business is to get them out of the weather,and if they're starting to hypothermiate even a barnstall often isn't warm enough.

2. Once you get him inside, then rub the tar out of the little feller. This promotes circulation and helps slow down the hypothermia by getting the amnoitic fluid off the coat...thus slowing the chilling. I'm the chief reviver of calves that can be brought back around here (not bragging, it's a messy job and I've got a little more patience than Honey on this one), so what I do is really vigorously rub the calf - ears, legs, etc but mostly concentrate on the chest and abdomen. Sometimes I'm at it for an hour or more, but it sure does seem to help.

3. Probably going to tick off a few folk with this one, but forget the warm water immersion trick. False advertising on how successful that is on severely chilled calves. Some folk might get lucky with it, but personally I've had such low success with it that I've written it right out of the routine.

4. Now is the time to tube the calf with some warm colostrum. If you don't have any, then even the milk from your fridge that's got some molasses stirred in will help. Don't be cheap on the molasses. It's pretty much straight energy and will help. Also have used Carnation tinned milk in a pinch. I usually tube them after about ten minutes of rubbing and then carry on with the towelling down of the calf.

5. Here's where the hotbox that you were asking about comes in. Honey and I threw together a hotbox after our first calving season on this place. Being that we're high on a hill with virtually no shelter from the winds, we found that even as dilligent as we tried to be, we'd end up with a chilled calf and no where to warm them (except the bathroom where I'd shut the door and crank the heat of the house up - sort make a suana out of the biffy - but what a mess when that first bowel movement --meconium-- let loose on the walls and floor). It's a free standing wooden structure that we drag into the basement - it could be used in the barn, but we can't afford power to it yet, so the house is handier - and it has a false floor that we slip a little electric heater into. The floor above the heater has holes drilled into it, allows the heat to move upwards (had to put some flashing over where the heater sits though, as calf pee definately runs downhill and we didn't want to bar-b-que the little guys). It also has a door that you affix to it, and makes the whole thing a nice, warm, wooden womb of sorts.

The saddest part is learning to recognise the signs of calves that you probably cannot save. Cloudy pupils, severely arched neck, death bawls and slowly paddling legs are usually indicators that this calf is going to clock out no matter how hard you try. Reality really does bite hard, but sometimes it's beyond the ken of mortal man to save a calf.

Anyway, hope some of this helps. Sure know the frustration of what you're dealing with. Hang in there!

Take care

Just calm down Josh. There have been times when i have thrown down my hat and threw up my hands and said that we might as well sell them all if we cant take better care of them. but like kelly, i would have regretted it. its frustrating sometimes-this cattle-raising, but i feel that its worth it. everything bad happens at once, thats just how bad luck runs. Things will get better. most of my bad luck, at least, comes either at the beginning of the year or at the beginning of calving season. all i can tell you is hang in there. you'll be glad you did.

Josh, what are you feeding the cows? Around here, MOST of the dry hay put up is worthless. It got rained on so many times while trying to dry. If the cows are in poor condition, the calves could be born with "weak calf syndrome". Also the cows colostrum would be lower on antibodies that the calf really needs. And don't get me wrong, I am not accusing you of starving your cows. It's just that sometimes our hay just isn't good enough to keep the cows in good body condition in the bad weather. Sometimes the cows need supplimentation. Now I know in my case that would be near impossible. It would be easier for me to start purchasing some good hay to get the cows through calving. I am not set up to feed any kind of grain to my cows, and out here noone even knows what range cubes are - can you believe that! :shock:
All I'm trying to say, is it may be something to think about next year. Really analyze your cows - especially after they calve. Do they look thin?
Even in really cold weather, the majority of cows will lick their calves vigorously enough that the calves will get up & suck if they have some shelter from the wind. If they are sitting out in the cold wind, very few can handle that. Sounds like yours are just laying there & freezing, which sounds like a weak calf to bigin with.
Like everyone else said - hang in there. Just try to figure out the problem. I would ask someone experienced to come & look at the situation. There may be something you are overlooking.

Cattle Annie.........Probably going to tick off a few folk with this one, but forget the warm water immersion trick. False advertising on how successful that is on severely chilled calves. Some folk might get lucky with it, but personally I've had such low success with it that I've written it right out of the routine

Not at all ticked off. ...... :lol: We always had good luck with putting a chilled calf in the bathtub and slowlyfilling & warming the water up . Rubbing the calf the whole while. After the water was so hot , you could not keep you hand in it ,And the calf was completed immersed except for the head. we tubed the calf with colustrum with 2 tbsp of brown Sugar added to it.gave a shot of selenium, shot of vit b-1, shot ade. After about 30 minutes. We dried the calf completely with towells and a hair dryer. and left in the house for a few hrs. Till the calf was good and hungry.Then put him back on the cow.

I do however agree they make a hell of a mess of a bathroom.

EMERGENCY USE ONLY!!!!

Always carry an old duffle bag and a length of shop tubing.

If you are like me you find one every now and then so far from where it should be that it can't wait to get home.

Throw it in the duffle bag, KEEP THE HEAD OUT and run the tube from the exhaust of your truck into the bag.

It warms 'em up quick and then you will have to dry them off / wipe them down good with some rags. Throw what I call "Calf Claim" all over it's back, head and rear end and stand back because mom will want her calf back.

Only had to do it a few times - worked well - easier to clean a duffle bag than the truck. :D :D

Bez

We got a portable calf heaterhere. When my parents are gone for the day, I need to go out and check every hour. I hook it up ti the snowmobile, brother takes the other one, and we checkall of them. If theres one, we have to let the cow lick it off, put it into the warmer, pull them home and put it in the heated garage (temperary calf sauna) in the warmer still running. We leave the lid open so if it needs to walk it can. we covered the floor with those neat plastic maps with the bumpies on the bottom. ( a good way to pass an hour is to count the lil bumpies. 1 bumpie, 2 bumpie......)

Always carry an old duffle bag and a length of shop tubing.

This is a GREAT idea! We used to use the shop tubing & exhaust to thaw out Richie waterers out in the fields. Never thought about a calf. But I have never been in the position that we couldn't get the calf inside. Haven't done it for years, but deffinately believe in "floating" a frozen calf. Cornell does it also.

rub the tar out of the little feller

CattleAnnie, not offended - always do what works best for you - and rubbing is an excellent way to take care of the frozen calf. My arms just wouldn't handle all that massaging. I would be dead before the calf died.

jcissell":xrp3ck8v said:
I have a calf that was borning early this morning. It was really cold and wasn't getting up eating so I brought it home, dried it off, and feed it a bottle of colostrum. Now it's mother won't take it. She walks around looking for her calf but doesn't recognize this as hers. I guess I took it away too early but it had already been cleaned up so I thought it would probably be ok. Normally I would have left the calf a little while longer but I have already lost 3 due to cold weather so I didn't want to chance this one. Any tips on getting its momma to take it? I really don't want to bottle feed. If I get its momma in the chute and let the calf suck should I leave the calf out with the momma during this really cold weather even though she just leaves it alone? Or should I bring it home? If I can I am going to put a heat lamp in the barn tomorrow and just lock both of them up in there for a few days and hopes she accepts it.

One more thing. I've got another that I am really not for sure if it is sucking. I know the mother accepts it b/c if you get within 15 yards she tries to run you off. I fed the baby a bottle of colostrum but I don't know if it has eaten since then. It was born on the 13th. Once again the hardest part is that it is so cold outside.

Josh

jcissell":4w37rm99 said:
Do you guys have some kind of calf warmer that you use in the field? I lost another calf this morning due to the cold. She had the calf and had it cleaned and dried but the calf was too weak to get up and suck. We tried rubbing with towels and covering it with blankets to get it warm. Once we even stood it up but had to hold it to keep it from falling over. I used my last bag of colostrum yesterday so I had to make a trip to get some and when I got back the calf was almost dead. Brought it in the house and before we could get it in warm water it died. I didn't bring it home before the trip b/c a guy told me I should leave it with its momma. On the other hand if I do take it I have problems also. I have 2 calves now, one born thursday and one saturday, that both would have died if I hadn't brought them home. Now one calf's mother won't take it and I think the other calf doesn't know who it's mother is. I think it thinks I am its mother. I really can't tell if it is eating.

I swear this had been a bad year. We've had cows for 9 or more years now and I believe we have had more problems in the last month with calves than the entire time we have had cattle. I am about ready to give up.

Josh
Dont give up Josh. Sometimes there is years like that. Makes you look more forward to the good ones. Lucky that the market is so good that your cash flow can still be pretty good with fewer calves to sell.
Like others said pay attention to nutriton and mineral for next year. One more thing. Dont help for this year since the horse is out of the barn but you have a chance to change it fo next year if you want. Before you turn your bulls back out be sure that you really need calves born this time of year. I like my cows to be chasing green in warmer temps when calves start coming. Less supplement and a lot cleaner calving places seems like. My weaning weights arent as good as some of the cafe heroes that do a lot of bragging but having more smaller calves aint all bad. You can always carry thiose later born calves over to put more weight on them. Just something else to think about.
Keep hanging in there Josh. When Spring gets here and you see the live calves wringin tails and romping you'll be thankful for your life

Josh.. I can hardly bring myself to read your recent posts! I feel so bad that you're having all this trouble! Unfortunately I think every one of us that's had cattle for any length of time has been through the "what was I thinking" stage.

You're just lucky that you've had 9 good years before having a terrible one! We had all of our really bad luck the first three or four years we got into cattle. We sure appreciate each of the good ones we have now!

When we lived in northern Illinois I lost plenty of calves to wet, cold weather, couldn't get them to suck.. etc. etc. etc. It is a horrible experience and depressing besides. Try to get through it the best you can.. it WILL get better!

I know you didn't realize these cows were bred to calve in the winter, and I'm sure you'll make sure whatever you breed for next year will calf in the spring or fall. That will surely make this all a lot easier to bear.

Best of luck.. and hang in there!

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. We put the pair whose mother wouldn't claim her calf in the barn and the baby is sucking. The first day she would kick it a little but now I don't think she is kicking it at all. Yesterday I got the mother that claimed her calf in the head chute and showed the baby how to eat from her. I think she'll be ok too. The funniest thing was how we got the mother in the chute. She was so protective we couldn't herd her so I had to steal the baby and sit on the back of the truck while the momma chased us a half mile to the barn. Then once she was in the corral the baby would follow me around. So I just went in the chute and let the baby follow. Soon comes her momma.

Thanks again,

Josh

Latest posts