momma won't take calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I had to steal the baby and sit on the back of the truck while the momma chased us a half mile to the barn. Then once she was in the corral the baby would follow me around. So I just went in the chute and let the baby follow. Soon comes her momma.

been there. done that! many a times. even taken some calves on a fourwheeler ride when i didnt have any help before. not the safest, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

jcissell":de1b1fwj said:
Then once she was in the corral the baby would follow me around. So I just went in the chute and let the baby follow. Soon comes her momma.

Thanks again,

Josh

Sounds like you are cruising for a bruising. Another method would be to get the cow in the corral area that leads into the chute and then take the baby around to the front of the chute and let the cow see it. They usually will walk into the chute then. Not a good idea to be in the chute with the calf with you and the cow behind you. Just my opinion.

How long should I leave the calf and mother in the barn after she starts letting it suck? I believe it has been about 3 days now.

Josh

Latest posts