Momma died and left 6-7 week old calf who is very weak.

Help Support CattleToday:

Baselinefarm

Reaction score
We have a 6-7 week old calf who is very weak. His mother died of a suspected spinal cord injury. We have another cow who is feeding a calf and hoped that the calf could nurse off her but it hasn't worked out that way. We have him in the barn. He is very weak and has to have help getting up. My husband was able to walk her around the pen twice a day until yesterday. The calf will eat anything you put in his mouth. He is too week to suck a bottle, although last night he tried. We are using a syringe and have been feeding him milk replacer, electorlites and a handful of grain after each feeding. He has no signs of scours or fever. He is able to void urine and does moo occasionally although it is a pretty weak moo. Were not quite sure what to do at this point. Any direction would be appreciative.

Get an esophageal Tube) feeder and have someone that's knows how to do it show. A vet is a good first choice for taching you , a well qualified neighbor is the next best. Last choice is to juts try it yourself and hope it works right. It isn;t rocket surgery but there are little nacks to it.

Get the tube feeder with the large, stainless steel ball end. Less chance to screw it up. Do it ASAP. If you are going to try it yourself, straddle a standing calf with its nose below ears. Make sure it is chewing as you insert the tube GENTLY. Good luck. Craig

Were using a syringe with a drench tip. How much fluid should we be giving him at a time and in a day?

At least 4 pints twice a day of high quality (all milk or milk by products) 20% fat 20% protein milk replacer

could he (and the cow) have gone down from parasites? common here this time of year if you dont stay on top of them (worms).

If I was going to tube him, which I would, I would use one of the high energy electrolyte/scour treatments first thing to get something workign in his system.

First of all with milk replacer, it simply isn't as good as real milk, but if you are stuck there isn't much you can do about it.
Would you happen to have any frozen colostrum?
I always freeze a bit when the milk cow freshens, and it does amazing things for weak animals even if they are a bit older as besides antibodies it has lots of sugars and proteins and fats in it that regular milk doesn't have.
The other thing is to at least for now increase the number of small feedings that the calf is getting. Don't give big feedings as you don't want to scour the little guy, but frequent small feedings till he gains strength.
Hope that helps.
Nite Hawk

So far so good. He has been in different positions when we go and check on him. When my daughter was giving him the last feeding, he got up and walked out into the barn lot. He went back in, took a drink and laid down. Tonight he actually pooped! Never thought I would get so excited about calf poop! lol

how about a little more information? why has the calf weakened to the point of not being able to get up on its own? how long has been going downhill? how long has the cow been dead? was he doing ok before she died? if so he should have been perky enough to make it. what part of the world are you in? have they been wormed recently? does the calf look anemic? will he not try to eat grass if you let him out of the barn? or do you not have grass right now?

(we were posting at the same time). also why do you think spinal chord?

Were in French Lick Indiana. Momma died 2 weeks ago. Calf was doing great up until the time she passed. Vet came out and saw momma and it's really anyone's guess about what happened. Spinal cord is just an educated guess. The calf over time has gone down hill. Vet felt he would be ok. The little guy kept getting out of the pasture I assume looking for momma. He would get out in the woods and also on the road. It got to the point that we had to pen him up or he get hit on the road. We live on a country road but cars still drive fast on our road. No we have not wormed. We have a pen that has some grass and also a door into the barn. So he can go in and out. We are in a heck of a drought here. He isn't interested in nibbling on the grass we have or give him. Not sure about anemia. He is very thin. The other calf we have is bigger than this one and was born a week after he was. Before the momma died. The calf was almost the same size.

what were you feeding him after momma died,as it sounds like he has been starving to death,
not to sound judgemental, or anything , did you try to get him on a bottle after mom died?
I never trust that another cow will feed them unless I see it with my own eyes, you can give him a dose of nutridrench which will give him some energy, hope he makes it for you,
Suzanne

I don't take it as a judgement. :) Vet didn't think we needed to bottle him if we could get him to nurse off the other cow. When he was with our other cows, we did see him nurse off the other cow. As long as he nursed from behind. We had to seperate due to him getting out of the pasture and the danger of getting lost or killed on the road. It looked like his grain and grass was getting eaten but now think it was another critter. So it very well could be he was starving. These are our first calves! We are learning . Becoming more hopeful.

If you tube him - which I wouldn't do unless you can't get him to suck enough thru a bottle - make sure you can feel the "ball" end in his throat as you push it to his stomach.. if you can't feel it you are probably getting it in the wrong place. Vet has me push it along one side instead of down the middle of his throat, makes it easier to get it right.
I have also given powdered colostrum to a weak older calf and it does help. I wouldn't worry about worms, vet says the milk will take care of that . He also said the worms crawl up the grass blades when they are wet... not much chance of wet grass lately in most places.
Good luck!!
Blessings
Valerie

This may sound silly, but, are you sure he can "see"? It may be that the calf is blind or partially blind, that would explain getting out of the pasture and away from the herd.
Blessings
Valerie

Interesting you mention that Valerie. I asked my husband the samething last night. hum...... He is eating some green bean plants and grass we put before him. He isn't wanting to eat grain though. We have to push some in his mouth. He is standing up and moving but is very weak. His legs wobble. We still use a syringe feeder and force milk in him, although he doesnt' seem to mind. We haven't done the tube feeding yet. Seems ok doing what were doing, still getting the milk and electrolites in. I am concerned about the grain though.

Latest posts