modified live vaccines

Help Support CattleToday:

badger

Reaction score
wondering if anyone has experienced problems when going to them versus having always used killed in the past

Live gives you better protection-- but its a harder initial hit.
If they are in good shape and not stressed they should be able to handle the extra knock back.

But as said with cows you have to know they are all at the same safe stage- and most producers around here don't have their calving that tightly grouped.

On calves some of my customers want a live vaccine-- but they have to pay more to get it as it really knocks incoming calves for a loop. They figure its worth it for the extra protection they get when they are shipped to their place.

feelnrite":3m36vu05 said:
Follow the directions. I dont believe you can vacc. pregnant cows.

Ifthe cows have previously been vaccinated with live virus you can use live virus again. We do it every year at weaning time.

dun

dun":191sxluy said:
feelnrite":191sxluy said:
Follow the directions. I dont believe you can vacc. pregnant cows.

Ifthe cows have previously been vaccinated with live virus you can use live virus again. We do it every year at weaning time.

dun

Not sure it's obvious from Dun's statement that the first vaccination (ie previously) must be given when the cow is open.

Caution: If you use it on weaned calves and they bust out and get back to the mommas and start nursing you could have a lot of aborting cows.
Be careful

This is what I use and it states it is safe for preg cows.
Cattlemaster Gold FP5

Cattle Master® is the only viral vaccine that offers a combination of killed (BVD), chemically-altered modified live (IBR, PI3) and modified live (BRSV) protection. This results in a stronger and more complete immune response.

IBR, PI3, BRSV (MLV)& BVD Types 1 & 2 (KV)
(Pfizer) Give two 2 ml doses, SQ 2-4 weeks apart. Annual 1 dose revaccination. Safe for pregnant cows. Offers fetal protection. Has BVD Type 1 & 2.

* Provides proven protection from the 5 most common viral respiratory diseases.
* First and only killed BVD vaccine line with the power to deliver fetal protection from BVD persistent infection and IBR abortion.
* Safe and convenient - vaccinate any calf, any cow, any time.

Has BVD Type 1 & 2

SAFE for pregnant cows and calves nursing pregnant cows.

alabama":smitusoq said:
Caution: If you use it on weaned calves and they bust out and get back to the mommas and start nursing you could have a lot of aborting cows.
Be careful

Only if the cow hasn;t been previously vaccinated with MLV.

dun

I switched a set of cows over to a MLV this year without any problems. From Cattlemaster 4 + VL5 to Bovi-Shield Gold FP5 + VL5.

We would like to vaccinate a few open cows and young open heifers with Bovi-Shield Gold FP5 + VL5. Previously they had been vaccinated with killed virus vaccine. I understand that cows need to be open when first vaccinated with MLV, etc.

Question is...Are we safe to vaccinate opens with MLV if they are are running with pregnant cows that have not be vaccinated with MLV? Or another way of asking it...Are pregnants safe running with cows vaccinated with MLV if pregnants have not been vaccinated with MLV?

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Farmgirl, when I talked to one of Pfizer's vets about that, it was my impression that what they were most concerned with was poor vaccination technique and pregnant cows licking the vaccination site. She told me that they hadn't had any problems, but they were trying to be extra cautious with the labeling. At least, that's the way I remember the conversation.

I'd go ahead and do it if I were you. It might be good if you could keep them separate for a day or two. You might feel better to talk to one of their research vets, though. Their product support is the best of any I've ever seen. The number is:

(800) 366-5288
M-F, 9-12 and 1-5 Eastern Time

I talk to a vet named Dr. Halbert. She knows cattle and she knows their products. I've found her to be very helpful.

Texan,

Thanks for the phone #. Talked to the Pfizer vet yesterday. She was able to answer my questions. Answer was to give the pregs Cattlemaster and give the opens Bovi-shield at the same time. Opens need 2 doses first year given. After that annually one shot. When pregs calve give Bovi-shield.

Very helpful.
Farmgirl

Texan":1atoesvk said:
Farmgirl, when I talked to one of Pfizer's vets about that, it was my impression that what they were most concerned with was poor vaccination technique and pregnant cows licking the vaccination site. She told me that they hadn't had any problems, but they were trying to be extra cautious with the labeling. At least, that's the way I remember the conversation.

I'd go ahead and do it if I were you. It might be good if you could keep them separate for a day or two. You might feel better to talk to one of their research vets, though. Their product support is the best of any I've ever seen. The number is:

(800) 366-5288
M-F, 9-12 and 1-5 Eastern Time

I talk to a vet named Dr. Halbert. She knows cattle and she knows their products. I've found her to be very helpful.

I use this product and highly recomend it. In the package is the results of their testing. Gives the results of cows vaccinated while bred having no previous shots.

Latest posts