Modern method of saleing cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie,

I just have grade cattle and most other farmers in my area have the same type of cattle. And i was just thinking it would be a better way for the average cattle producer to buy and sale cattle saleing at a sale barn like the one i described.

I may try to go to that one in Roseville Arkansas on March the 25th that you mentioned just to see how it work. Roseville is just about 10 miles from where i live. But thoes are some high dollar register Black Angus cattle. I have wanted to look some of their bulls over. Surgar Hill Farms is well known here for having some really nice live stock. But with really nice high prices to.

You know i dont know if all sale barns are close to the same or not. But at this local one here. There is usually 3 buyers who are almost always there. Well usually there well be 2 of them there at most of the weekly sales. Sometimes just one.

And when they are there. It is really hard to buy any 500 to 1000 pounders at a reasonable price. I mean they buy just about everything that comes through. One of the three buys them to put on a feedyard and the other two just buys them for their farms. It really makes it hard for the little guy to buy cattle that way at a auction biding against these fellas.

I know it sounds funny but you will hear people talk about how they wait until they leave before they can get to buy anything. But everytime i have been at the sale i have never seen them leave. They buy, buy and buy until the auction is over. One of these buyers who is a cattle farmer has a seat right up front that is reserved with his name on it. Year round. Because he buys so many cattle. I am not complaining about him. I just wish i had his money to buy that many cattle. But it is sure hard to buy anything when he is there.LOL

Okay Stepper if I'm understanding you correctly you're looking for a more equitable way of selling your cattle. The question then is what is wrong with compeitive bidding? This is what auctions are all about. The more bidding usually means a better return, while less bidding means smaller return. If your cattle are what your market area wants then an auction should not hurt your returns. An example might be if your area wants large drafts of animals and you have small drafts you will take a reduction in price. This is the way it works. By the same token if you can find a way to do a better job of marketing by all means use it. But don't knock auctions because in the final analysis they do give us a starting point for all other marketing types.

Angus Guy,

That is sort of what i am getting at. And i apprechaite your reply because that is what i was wondering about more than anything. I was wanting to know how some of the more experienced cattlemen feel about saleing/buying at the sale barn.

I am not looking for a lot of people to jump on the band wagon and agree with what i am saying about the way auctions at a public sale barn is conducted.

I wanted to hear there honest opinions like yours. Alot of people will agree with what you are saying and at the same time alot of them will disagree.

Most of the people i talk with who buy and sale cattle at a public sale has lots of things that they complain about(from not getting a going price for their cattle to ending up with a sick or crippled animal and so on etc.....,)

So the bottom line in my opinion and this is just my opinion and no body has to agree with it or disagree with it. Because i dont care either way. Is i think the way public cattle auctions are conducted can be improved up on and eventually one day they will.

Stepper,

If you have ideas and suggestions, you might go and talk to the people who run the sale barn. The ones at the barn I go to are very friendly and are more than willing to answer questions. Just go in, acting humbly and ignorant, and ask them to discuss their methods and reasoning. Then discuss your ideas and ask them for their opinions, both good and bad. It might be a very educational experience for both of you.

jw

That is a good idea. I know i am not going to sway him into changing anything on his end but maybe he can explain a few things to me.

Our auctioneer is a pretty good fella. Before i got the nerve to start buying at the auction myself. I had him buy a few calfs for me. And he did buy them for me at what i thought was at the time a fair price.

I have had both good and bad experiences with selling cattle through a local auction barn. Larger producers with truckload lots of like animals have more options available but the reality is that most of the cattle raised are by small producers. Some areas have local coops which hold special value enhanced sales for weaned calves that are sorted by sex and size for the order buyers in truckload lots. This will bring a premium price also for the small producers. Have any of you ever bought or sold cattle private treaty from someone on one of the internet classified sites such as cattlerange.com, if so tell us about your experience.

J+

Latest posts