Missouri mandatory Trich testing

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Some salebarns are requiring it even for those selling for slaughter. Too many people buy bulls that are supposed to go to slaughter and use them for breeding.
Here's the article:
A new state animal health law affecting movement of bulls within Missouri takes effect on Sept. 1.

After that date, breeding bulls must be tested for trichomoniasis, or trich, before changing ownership or possession. A similar law already exists for breeding bulls coming into state.

The bull-testing program aims to find and eradicate trich, a sexually transmitted disease in cow herds.

According to Craig Payne, University of Missouri Extension veterinarian, the disease has been found in herds in more than 30 Missouri counties. There is no known cure for infected bulls.

The venereal disease has caused 40 to 70 percent losses of pregnancies in some herds across the state.

"At today's calf prices, that is a significant financial loss. Some farms did not survive," Payne said. "There are not only lost calves, but there are losses from aggressive culling of infected bulls and open cows."

Because there is no treatment for the disease and vaccines are not 100 percent effective, prevention is the key, Payne said, and since bulls transmit the disease, the new rules focus on them. Under the new law, non-virgin bulls or bulls 24 months of age or older being sold at livestock auctions must be tested if they are not going to slaughter.

Similarly, non-virgin bulls or bulls 30 months of age or older that are sold at private treaty, leased, traded or bartered must have a negative trich test within 30 days prior to change of ownership or possession.

"The discrepancy in age of bulls being sold at livestock markets and those sold at private treaty – 24 months vs. 30 months – is temporary," Payne said. "The state veterinary office reports the age of bulls to be tested when being sold at private treaty will change from 30 to 24 months in November."

Most of the infected herds are in southwestern Missouri, though the disease has turned up in three counties north of the Missouri River. Vets expect the area of known incidence to spread as testing begins under the new law.

Any bull that tests positive for trich must be sent directly to slaughter. The herd from which the bull came will be subjected to restrictions as well.

Copyright 2011 Maryville Daily Forum. Some rights reserved

tsmaxx47":2n9t73xp said:
how much is this trich test?
I heard 35 bucks bandied about. But from the guys I was overhearing it seems like everything was 35 bucks. BSE 35 bucks, hauling 35 bucks, etc.
So I really don;t know. tx has had it for a hile so they may know. But it may be a vet discretion thing or a price set by the state. Seems like a lot of people didn;t realize that it was about to take affect.

In some ways Trichomoniasis is sort of like clamydia (foothills abortion disease) in as much that it is gone from the cows repro tract naturally. Bulls need to be treated but cows will clear up on their own. Clamydia can be treated so that you don;t lose the calf but trich apparantly doesn;t work that way.

dun":27kc55xu said:
Some salebarns are requiring it even for those selling for slaughter.
Don't see how they can really do that since it takes awhile to the results back from a Trich test and if the bull has went home he more than likely has already infected the herd
and I don't see the salebarns selling someone a bull and then making them leave him there in quarantine until the test comes back

That part will never fly plus if I get a test done and wait for the results to come back before I sell a bull how will the barn know that I have kept that bull isolated from test date till sale date and the bull could of contracted trich from the test date til the sale date

Angus Cowman":8mb9vpva said:
dun":8mb9vpva said:
Some salebarns are requiring it even for those selling for slaughter.
Don't see how they can really do that since it takes awhile to the results back from a Trich test and if the bull has went home he more than likely has already infected the herd
and I don't see the salebarns selling someone a bull and then making them leave him there in quarantine until the test comes back

That part will never fly plus if I get a test done and wait for the results to come back before I sell a bull how will the barn know that I have kept that bull isolated from test date till sale date and the bull could of contracted trich from the test date til the sale date
There are always snags in anything new that comes along. I'm sure it will work out. I would think that if a bull has been trich tested they would announce at the sale if the results are negative or positive.
I'll check next week. The local salebarn owner is hauling a bunch of pairs to the stock cow sale for me next week, I'll ask him about it and see what he says.

I had it done on a bull i wasuse trying toto sell a few months ago .

After the bull is tested he cannot be with any cows until the results are in. State law.

BRAFORDMAN":19atuzf3 said:
I had it done on a bull i wasuse trying toto sell a few months ago .

After the bull is tested he cannot be with any cows until the results are in. State law.
How long did it take to get the results?

In this part of Texas Trich testing is mandatory,I am under the impression it is done in one day at the sale barn. I get this Impression from the auctioneer telling folks the owner will stand good for the test.Never have heard the Auctioneer say bull tested positive .
There are animal health folks at most auction barns,not necessarily Vets. I will check on this.

baleflipper":1bq3est4 said:
In this part of Texas Trich testing is mandatory,I am under the impression it is done in one day at the sale barn. I get this Impression from the auctioneer telling folks the owner will stand good for the test.Never have heard the Auctioneer say bull tested positive .
There are animal health folks at most auction barns,not necessarily Vets. I will check on this.

not from what I have been told because they have to do a culture and see if it grows and that takes time

Angus Cowman":1iw37q58 said:
baleflipper":1iw37q58 said:

not from what I have been told because they have to do a culture and see if it grows and that takes time
Asked the vet today, he says you have to have it done by the state lab. Just the shipping will take a day or 2, then the culture then mailing you back a form. It all takes time

I've been told you have to pen the bull up for 30 days. to get the results back. After 30 days the bull jumps the fence and breeds your neighbors cow. The bull is now exposed to the same problem . How good is this test. It looks to me somebody wants to make a lot of money.
Blue goose 1

Latest posts