Testing for crypto...??

Help Support CattleToday:

CCcalves

Reaction score
It has been widely acknowledged that Crypto is a significant problem in our neonatal calves.

Tests have been developed to identify crypto in the calf faeces but I am wondering if anyone would know if it can be tested on materials such as clothes....is there any swab test or other to identify if it is in materials ??

Thank you in advance...

Simple answer. No.
At least, not economically affordably.

Scouring calves should be considered to have potentially zoonotic (transmissible to humans) infections like Crypto, salmonellosis and campylobacteriosis... until proven otherwise, and you should practice good sanitation when working with them. In other words, WASH YOUR HANDS! after working with them, and consider all fecal material as potetntially infectious.

I had Crypto this year I got from working a neighbors calves. It sucked, veryou discomforting. Medicine was expensive as well. Was out of commission for 3 days. Promise from now on after working scouring cows will throw away gloves and thoroughly was my hands. They believe I ingested it from wearing gloves while I took a drink.

Latest posts