Trich

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
Any danger of bred sale barn cows spreading trich to other cattle ?
Being bred and a bull not with them ?

I believe the cow is able to eventually shed the virus.the bull cant.. And the only way to transmit, is from bull to cow, or vice Versa Not cow to cow....

Its a protozoan venereal disease. The means of transmission from cow to cow is via the bull. It would seem impossible for one cow to transmit it to another cow. But if you bring an infected cow into your herd and she infects your bull, the bull will transmit it to the next cow he breeds.

ALACOWMAN":3foojbu7 said:
I believe the cow is able to eventually shed the virus.the bull cant.. And the only way to transmit, is from bull to cow, or vice Versa Not cow to cow....

Not a virus. Protozoan. Otherwise. You are correct.

Trichomonas infects the sheath tissue of the bull.

So no bull, No worries on trich, just taking a gamble on what else they may carrying

Cross-7":34y7gmyd said:
So no bull, No worries on trich, just taking a gamble on what else they may carrying

If no bull, I cannot imagine an epidemiological means of infecting other cows. Unless you were using something in the vagina and then inserting it into other cows without sterilization. For example, a CIDR.

I believe you're pretty safe buying a long bred cow from the barn. It's my understanding that miscarriages from trich usually occur in the first few months of the pregnancy.

I believe if you bring a cow mounted by an infected bull and she is mounted by your bull it can spread to your whole herd. I have also read that cows can get rid of it in 3-4 months but a bull cannot. Then some guy trying to sell a bull told me you could get rid of it in a bull, left me scratching my head wondering if I missed that article. Either way Auction girls dont go with my herd sire for a while. I had never heard of trich around here until a guy was getting a refund at the auction after a bull tested positive for it. But cow to cow no, I dont think cow culture has gone that direction yet, except a couple gay bulls every once in a while.

Cross-7":ofc48x85 said:
need to quarantine the cow if possible, to keep a eye on her for shipping fever a few days......usually takes a couple Days to show up in a cow, That's something you don't want running through your herd for sure....those old stockyards are teaming with it

Rafter S":1uxje2rv said:
I believe you're pretty safe buying a long bred cow from the barn. It's my understanding that miscarriages from trich usually occur in the first few months of the pregnancy.

Buddy of mine bought some young cows mostly 2-4 months bred, good young cows worth the money.
He had to by the whole draft and has too many and offered me the extras
But I'd have to commingle with what I've got.

Bright Raven":27c5r6m4 said:
Its a protozoan venereal disease. The means of transmission from cow to cow is via the bull. It would seem impossible for one cow to transmit it to another cow. But if you bring an infected cow into your herd and she infects your bull, the bull will transmit it to the next cow he breeds.

Buddy bought some older pairs from the sale barn and ended up getting one of his bulls infected. It was a mess but luckily he keeps good records and knew what had possibly been exposed. $4800 2.5 year old bull for slaughter price. Ouch.

J&D Cattle":116ugzt2 said:
Bright Raven":116ugzt2 said:

Buddy bought some older pairs from the sale barn and ended up getting one of his bulls infected. It was a mess but luckily he keeps good records and knew what had possibly been exposed. $4800 2.5 year old bull for slaughter price. Ouch.

That would be painful. Ouch is right. But stuff happens. I got a cow right now whose udder is looking awful. Looks like a cull and she is only on her second calf.

J&D Cattle":jde42ldl said:
Bright Raven":jde42ldl said:

A bred cow? Sure it wasn't vibrio?

Caustic Burno":hl3hoy3i said:
J&D Cattle":hl3hoy3i said:
Bright Raven":hl3hoy3i said:

A bred cow? Sure it wasn't vibrio?

I believe the pairs he bought were sold as unchecked and not open but I'm not certain of that.

Definitely Trich as the bull was Vet checked during his annual semen test when it was discovered. He got to meet Dun's neighbor our State Vet and quarantine several head. Heck of a nice guy he said.

That's why now in MO all bulls of breeding age sold for other than slaughter have to be negative tested for trich.

Latest posts