BED PI testing

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas":1e9esuii said:
Anyone testing for BVD PI? Looking for thoughts and ideas. Had a calf test positive in the feedlot so gonna start testing the herd.

Not here. I tested one calf for BVD a few years ago. It was negative. Not a bad idea if your herd was exposed.

Bright Raven":3cfzlt8t said:
kenny thomas":3cfzlt8t said:
Anyone testing for BVD PI? Looking for thoughts and ideas. Had a calf test positive in the feedlot so gonna start testing the herd.

Not here. I tested one calf for BVD a few years ago. It was negative. Not a bad idea if your herd was exposed.
How do i know if the herd was exposed from an outside source?

kenny thomas":j820cq7f said:

Think about it from time to time, but with a live vaccination program across the entire herd, I really have nothing to worry about.

Aaron":a2zs8e6p said:
kenny thomas":a2zs8e6p said:

Think about it from time to time, but with a live vaccination program across the entire herd, I really have nothing to worry about.
Tell me more about the vaccination program

kenny thomas":1967p7bs said:
Bright Raven":1967p7bs said:
kenny thomas":1967p7bs said:

Was the calf that tested positive a transient infection or a persistently infected case? If it was diagnosed as PI, then the calf may have exposed other members of the herd with shed viruses.

There is no way to know without testing each member.

Bright Raven":2nkqpipt said:
kenny thomas":2nkqpipt said:
Bright Raven":2nkqpipt said:

Was the calf that tested positive a transient infection or a persistently infected case? If it was diagnosed as PI, then the calf may have exposed other members of the herd with shed viruses.

It tested as PI but was one of the best calves I had this year. I'm gonna test the herd for sure.

kenny thomas":3ohtqrpg said:
Bright Raven":3ohtqrpg said:
kenny thomas":3ohtqrpg said:

It tested as PI but was one of the best calves I had this year. I'm gonna test the herd for sure.

I would work with your vet and test the entire herd.

kenny thomas":1qlqf38v said:
I do. Would only test if you test them all and plan to weed them out. Had several positives with no symptoms but infect to whole woodpile.

RanchMan90":3bw5cpns said:
kenny thomas":3bw5cpns said:
I do. Would only test if you test them all and plan to weed them out. Had several positives with no symptoms but infect to whole woodpile.
I will weed them out for sure. But from what I read some of the pregnant cows that test negative may have a positive calf. And where did i pick it up to begin with. I can test calves I buy, no big deal but testing the cows may not solve the problem.I
The positive one has been disposed of. I will send the buyer a refund.

kenny thomas":om2aifzn said:
RanchMan90":om2aifzn said:
kenny thomas":om2aifzn said:
I will weed them out for sure. But from what I read some of the pregnant cows that test negative may have a positive calf. And where did i pick it up to begin with. I can test calves I buy, no big deal but testing the cows may not solve the problem.I
The positive one has been disposed of. I will send the buyer a refund.

Why did you test the one infected calf? Or did the buyer test it?

kenny thomas":3tmfs1xs said:
Bright Raven":3tmfs1xs said:
kenny thomas":3tmfs1xs said:
The buyer tests every calf.

Ok. And they identified it as a PI and not a transient infection?
Yes, but it weighed 395 and was a #1 calf. Born late and i was selling other calves from there so just took him also.

A PI animal is not necessarily diseased. They have a reservoir of viruses that keep shedding in their body fluids.

Bright Raven":1lkfgwrf said:
kenny thomas":1lkfgwrf said:
Bright Raven":1lkfgwrf said:
Ok. And they identified it as a PI and not a transient infection?
Yes, but it weighed 395 and was a #1 calf. Born late and i was selling other calves from there so just took him also.

A PI animal is not necessarily diseased. They have a reservoir of viruses that keep shedding in their body fluids.
All I know is the buyers darn sure don't want one that's PI.

"A PI animal is not necessarily diseased. They have a reservoir of viruses that keep shedding in their body fluids."
BR-could you please explain what you mean by 'not necessarily diseased'?

BVD-PI stands for Bovine Viral Diarrhea-Persistent Infection. BVD-PI occurs when an animal is infected with BVD before birth (in utero). The animal will remain infected with BVD for life and will shed virus continuously.

Chocolate Cow2":omjuy6t8 said:
"A PI animal is not necessarily diseased. They have a reservoir of viruses that keep shedding in their body fluids."
BR-could you please explain what you mean by 'not necessarily diseased'?

BVD-PI stands for Bovine Viral Diarrhea-Persistent Infection. BVD-PI occurs when an animal is infected with BVD before birth (in utero). The animal will remain infected with BVD for life and will shed virus continuously.

They have the BVDV in their cells and the virus replicates and sheds in body fluids but they are not exhibiting disease such as conjunctivitis, nasal discharge or pneumonia.

Latest posts