BVD TI vs PI

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
Kenny

You don't need the Bovela One Shot. There are BVD MLV only vaccines available in the US. Here is an example. It provides 9 months of immunity on first shot.
Yes but again it says not for use in pregnant cows. The Boleva says safe for them.

Ok, why is it an issue here but no one else on CT has mentioned testing for it. Is it a local issue just here? Local being we buy calves from a 50 mile or so radius.

kenny thomas said:
Bright Raven said:
Kenny

You don't need the Bovela One Shot. There are BVD MLV only vaccines available in the US. Here is an example. It provides 9 months of immunity on first shot.
Yes but again it says not for use in pregnant cows. The Boleva says safe for them.
Yes. It would be interesting to know why the difference.

I had this discussion with one of the vets at Zoetis. Abortions caused by vaccines are NOT AS COMMON as it is sometimes stated. Furthermore, abortions caused by the BVD component are even less common as compared to the IBR component.

Nevertheless, you have to go with the label warnings. If I had to guess, I would guess that the Bovela is the same thing. It is probably that their government has let stringent regulations on labeling.

BTW: here is a great diagram on BVD:

It is mandatory to test all show & breeding stock sale cattle here in NY. It was prevalent back maybe 15 yrs ago, but I have not "heard" of anyone having a problem for a while. But, I know our state jumped on testing & warning producers many years ago. (knock on wood), I have tested all my bulls & heifers (not steers) for maybe 11-12 years now with no positives. I don't test the steers, because I have never had a positive, and most all the dams have been tested. Several steers do end up getting tested because they get purchased by 4-H'ers.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
It is mandatory to test all show & breeding stock sale cattle here in NY. It was prevalent back maybe 15 yrs ago, but I have not "heard" of anyone having a problem for a while. But, I know our state jumped on testing & warning producers many years ago. (knock on wood), I have tested all my bulls & heifers (not steers) for maybe 11-12 years now with no positives. I don't test the steers, because I have never had a positive, and most all the dams have been tested. Several steers do end up getting tested because they get purchased by 4-H'ers.

Jeanne, is the mandatory test a tissue (wedge of the ear) test or a serum test?

Also, when you sell steers to 4-H Folks who show them, are those steers sold as halter broke or do they do the breaking?

I halter break all steers and heifers sold to 4-H - but I also get a premium for them.
We use ear notch, but can use blood.
And some may not know, once an animal is tested for PI, she/he never needs to be tested again. They are PI negative forever because the only way to be PI is in utero.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
I halter break all steers and heifers sold to 4-H - but I also get a premium for them.
We use ear notch, but can use blood.
And some may not know, once an animal is tested for PI, she/he never needs to be tested again. They are PI negative forever because the only way to be PI is in utero.

Jeanne, I almost misread that. Just to repeat. If the ear notch test (which tests for the presence of the virus in the tissue) comes back negative, then the calf will be PI negative forever. If the test comes back positive, the calf will be PI positive forever and the virus will always be present in the animal.

Ken provided a very valuable fact - in BVDV PI animals, they are seronegative because as he explained, the infection occurs transplacental in utero thus there is no immune response, hence, there are no antibodies created and thus, they remain seronegative. EVEN though they are BVDV PI Positive.

The point is, there is a difference between being BVDV PI positive and being seropositive for the BVDV antibodies.

The whole thing is more Confusing than Amusing. Lol