Missing hair on legs of a calf.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Have a Hereford calf about 2 weeks old, hadn't noticed before this morning but could have missed it. The calf has some places on its legs right above the hooves on each foot maybe 3 inches or more long and maybe a half inch to inch wide with no hair. The hide is just bare and pink, no hair at all in those areas, doesn't look like cuts or any type of wound. I thought at first maybe the hair had got stuck to the froze ground and pulled off, nut it seems to be in various areas of the legs in front and back, some of it would bound to be up next the calf's body and not touching the ground. I have had hay unrolled for them to lay on so I just don't know. Calf was running around healthy acting, so it aint no big deal just got my attention this morning. It could have been that way all along and I never noticed. It's a little warmer and wasn't terribly freezing cold or raining this morning so I reckon I looked things over a little better this morning.

That is a little strange. Have you been cold enough for them to "stick" to the ice? If an older calf was riding it, it could have scraped the hair off in several places with it's hooves. Have seen that happen.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
That is a little strange. Have you been cold enough for them to "stick" to the ice? If an older calf was riding it, it could have scraped the hair off in several places with it's hooves. Have seen that happen.

It has been cold enough, and probably that is the culprit, but just seemed to be odd placing and some in areas where I would think would be against the calf's body when she lays down. I have had a couple over the years to loose ends of their tails from the froze ground.

Could be something like Dermatophylus sp, a bit like a cross between bacteria and fungus, causes rain scald where hair peels off. Standing around in mud would predispose. Usually clears up itself if skin not cracked and sore.

Ken

I've ranched in a high precipitation (60-80 inches/yr) for decades and have encountered "rain rot" but never solely limited to the coronary/ankle region e.g. typically the entire back is affected and in severe cases, the sides as well as the head. On close examination the skin is raw and scruffy looking with patches of hair attached to follicles & skin sloughing. I'd be inclined to blame freezing temps.

MtnCows93 said:
was it born that way?

I don't know, I hadnt payed very close attention to even when I had been close by it till the other morning. There didnt seem to be any blood or disturbed looking area about the skin.

ok if the skin looks normal id say its not a birth defect, maybe the calf had frozen mud around that area and made the hair fall off from walking through mud if that makes any sense

MtnCows93 said:
ok if the skin looks normal id say its not a birth defect, maybe the calf had frozen mud around that area and made the hair fall off from walking through mud if that makes any sense

It makes sense, we have had nothing but mud then those few days of frozen and the calf was born a week or so before the real cold snap.

I had the same issue. I have a calf, almost 1 month old. She was born on a cold, windy day, and was missing patches of hair on head and legs by next morning. I wondered if it was due to afterbirth not being cleaned off soon enough (born to heifer). I see scaliness from time to time, but then it seems to disappear. Other than scratching/licking herself from time to time on these areas, she is perfectly healthy and happy. Have checked with all the farmers around our area, as well as the regional vet hospital. No one really has a clue.

Latest posts