Missed One??

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
The pictures below are of a little guy that was banded and his sac dropped off last week. I noticed this nub still there. This is the first time I've seen this from a banded calf. Usually there is nothing there. The calf was banded by the vet so I would have thought he had checked to see that he had both of them down in the sack before he banded. My questions are:

1) Did the vet miss one?
2) Do I need to do anything about it?

calfball2.jpg

calfball1.jpg

Definately needs attention. I never saw one look like that. Looks like he got too close to the belly. He should have got the seeds down as low as he could then band it. He needs some screw worm spray for sure.

Make the vet come back out and tend to it, no cost to you. After all you called the vet to band him so it was supposedly done correctally, right?
Make him fix his screw up. And hope it doesn't affect the calf's growth too much. :roll:

looks infected to me and like he was banded too close. i would get him sprayed and some penicillin in him if he were mine. since your vet banded him, i certainly would get him to look at him again.

good luck

jt

Here's an update.

Although the vet prefered to call it scar tissue, "he" banded it agin. In this case "he" was the vet whose office it was. The Big Cheese so to speak. There are about 6 vets that work at his office. The fact that he banded it again though pretty much said it all. The young vet that did the original banding is the same one that banded three calves for me last year and had to reband one of them after about 2 weeks due to a lost band. Thats a total of 2 banding problems out of 5 calves banded. I asked him, as tactfully as I could, if a 40% problem rate was typical of his office, or was it more symptomatic of individule technique. I hoped it was just a retorical enough question to get my point across. In case it wasn't, as I was leaving I also mentioned that after reviewing my receipt from the original banding in early April I noticed that they hadn't charged me on either calf for the orginal banding, the worming, or the implant.

Although the actual cause of the 1st banding problem (lost band) is uncertan, it was the 1st issue of the now defined trend of errors associated with one paticular vet. I think at this point I have to conclude that the combination of the charge ommisions and this paticular banding problem indicate a lack of attention to detail by a paticular vet. You can bet I'm going to make certain whose NOT on duty when I schedule future appointments.

I kind of figured someone was going to suggest I do it myself. However, I don't have a squeeze chute or other proper facilities. I guess I could put them in a small pen and then hop in there with some rope and a bander. Since I don't band until the calves are weaned at about 450 lbs I think the only way I could save money on the deal (after the other related medical expenses I'm sure I would incur) is if my wife were to send the video tape of the ordel into Americas Funniest Home Videos.

Doug - I wish we would have had a video camera this weekend! We worked our calves and there were a couple @ 400 lb'ers that we had to cut. It took 2 grown men to throw them and hold them down and it was a rodeo for sure. Just ask TR - she was laughing at us the whole time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

if your going to use little donut bands, do them when they are small. the bigger caltrate banders can be used at any age, but you still have a risk of infection or flies

dcara":3vnpdrw6 said:
Here's an update.

Although the vet prefered to call it scar tissue, "he" banded it agin. In this case "he" was the vet whose office it was. The Big Cheese so to speak. There are about 6 vets that work at his office. The fact that he banded it again though pretty much said it all. The young vet that did the original banding is the same one that banded three calves for me last year and had to reband one of them after about 2 weeks due to a lost band. Thats a total of 2 banding problems out of 5 calves banded. I asked him, as tactfully as I could, if a 40% problem rate was typical of his office, or was it more symptomatic of individule technique. I hoped it was just a retorical enough question to get my point across. In case it wasn't, as I was leaving I also mentioned that after reviewing my receipt from the original banding in early April I noticed that they hadn't charged me on either calf for the orginal banding, the worming, or the implant.

Although the actual cause of the 1st banding problem (lost band) is uncertan, it was the 1st issue of the now defined trend of errors associated with one paticular vet. I think at this point I have to conclude that the combination of the charge ommisions and this paticular banding problem indicate a lack of attention to detail by a paticular vet. You can bet I'm going to make certain whose NOT on duty when I schedule future appointments.

Are you sure you are not in Goshen County, Wyoming? Sounds very familiar!! :roll:

dcara":35gvypp9 said:
I kind of figured someone was going to suggest I do it myself. However, I don't have a squeeze chute or other proper facilities. I guess I could put them in a small pen and then hop in there with some rope and a bander. Since I don't band until the calves are weaned at about 450 lbs I think the only way I could save money on the deal (after the other related medical expenses I'm sure I would incur) is if my wife were to send the video tape of the ordel into Americas Funniest Home Videos.

So how is your vet catching them if you don't have facilities? I banded mine for many years with just a head catch. Before I got a head catch I just ran them in a narrow one calf make shift lane. Before that I used to just rope em, throw em down and sit on them. Well maybe two of us. As you can see I progressed as I aged :lol: Banding is pretty easy. I sure you could construct something to do this. I have seen home grown head catches better than store bought.

sidney411":3i95jna3 said:
Doug - I wish we would have had a video camera this weekend! We worked our calves and there were a couple @ 400 lb'ers that we had to cut. It took 2 grown men to throw them and hold them down and it was a rodeo for sure. Just ask TR - she was laughing at us the whole time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

hey sidney, why didnt they just put them in the headgate?

jt

Latest posts