Miniature Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

JeffMills517

Reaction score
Out of curiousity, does anyone have much experience with cross breeding mini cattle? I was wondering if crossing the short legged type Dexter cattle with mini hereford ran any risks. Also this may seem like a really dumb question...but do mini cattle breed naturally easily?

I don't think there's anyone here that raises them. I do remember that someone's mom did and they help her on occasion. Don't remember who that was, tho.

slick4591":lsoih3tg said:
I don't think there's anyone here that raises them. I do remember that someone's mom did and they help her on occasion. Don't remember who that was, tho.
That would probably be me. My mother raises Dexters though she doesn't have as many now as she used to. I do her A.I. work and doctoring on them when she needs help. She crosses some with jersey and mini-jersey bulls. We have not had any trouble cross breeding them. She has the short legged and standard legged variety. The dwarfism gene runs in some cow families that you have to watch for. Overall pretty neat little cows. Hers are pretty well dispositioned. They are easy on the land and easy to handle. Keep in mind they are a NICHE market. You can lose alot of money on them if you jump in without doing the homework. Start slow and see how it goes and build up from there. If you have plans to sell any at the sale barn you will lose your shirt. These critters need to be sold directly off the farm or at special sales. My mother sells hers to people with mini-farms that want dual purpose milk / meat animals but do not have big enough families to consume what a full sized steer or cow produces.

Thank you, that was the kind of info I needed. We have had several people inquire about steers for their freezer since we grow our own. It seems like a market that just may work for us on our small amount of land.

JeffMills517":3amejvm2 said:
Thank you, that was the kind of info I needed. We have had several people inquire about steers for their freezer since we grow our own. It seems like a market that just may work for us on our small amount of land.
I think a mini-herf crossed with a Dexter would make a pretty good little eating steer. I have eaten the straight Dexters and it was comparable with just about any full sized beef as far as eating quality goes. The Dexter x jersey cows milk like crazy and the steers really marble well though the yield decreases from the jersey influence.

Latest posts