miniature cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Betty

Reaction score
These seem pretty pricey (by the pound!) but I think they are kind of interesting.
Any miniature cattle devotees out there?

There is someone who posts who has Dexters. I am not sure. I have read a bit about them. Good for small acreage, easier to handle, eat less. But they are pricey, at least here, and I don't know if people in Texas are willing to get laughed at. I already have miniature donkeys, so that might be a logical next step. Don't see any around here, though. I have never seen any up close. People around here tend to stick to the blacks and reds and commercial cattle.The hobby cattle of choice around here are Longhorns. We had some for a few years. They are docile enough, but they don't bring a thing at sale and they scare the crud out of me. About the most exotic thing I see around here are Belted Galloways, and the odd Watusi.

dun":1i1ajsqh said:
Dexters aren;t miniature but Gale Seddon on these forums raises them
http://www.dextersfor.com/

My bad. Like I said, I have never seen miniature cattle. I was watching something several weeks ago about them and I can't remember what breed. I guess I need to do some research. I think I saw something about some miniature herford looking things.

They sure used to be expensive! I remember how shocked I was when I saw the prices for some minis at Point of Rock Ranch out in west Texas (not that I was actually interested in getting any).

Here's a link to the site of a fella that used to post here as SF -- raises some pretty nice miniature Herefords down around Bay City, Tx.

http://www.mini-hereford.com/halloffame.htm

baxter78":2o8k6rhl said:
There was a miniature zebu breeder on here recently.

I would really like to see one of those! I may have to google that.

I did find miniature Dexters on the net, along with Miniature Holsteins, and Herfs. Those people were cuddled up to their cattle like my son cuddles up to his dog. They were cute in a funny way.

Those are so cute!!! They look smaller than my mini donkeys! I don't know what they are good for exactly, but those guys are just too cute. :heart:

Lammie":2jgy727l said:
Those are so cute!!! They look smaller than my mini donkeys! I don't know what they are good for exactly, but those guys are just too cute. :heart:

I've debated with myslef what we will do when I get too old for real cows. I have thought of goats but I'm leaning more towards the mini-zebu. With goats we had have to refence the entiore farm, with the mini-z maybe I could get by with just lowering the single starnd of hotwire from 28-32 inches to 12-18 inches.

I think I will wait until the demand for those babies crashes and I can get a few cheap. Like alpacas, which I do not have, BTW.

Fella tried to give us a llama last weekend and we couldn't get it loaded. It was wandering around on several acres, it had come with the place, and the guy wanted it gone. It had never been fed, appearantly, and it does not like people. It was also the size of a small camel.

I didn't want it anyway. Anything that spits is nothing I need. I already have a husband.

That's too funny Lammie -
My husband is always wanting a hereford, they had them in Nebraska. My cattle are all angus. He works off the farm. I was thinking of getting him a mini hereford for Christmas, if there is such a thing.
I wonder if they are all dwarfs, or if it's a real breed.

Betty":5y1yeuhl said:
My husband is always wanting a hereford, they had them in Nebraska. My cattle are all angus. He works off the farm. I was thinking of getting him a mini hereford for Christmas, if there is such a thing.
They aren;t dwarfs, they're just very very small Herefords

Has anyone ever seen a nicely made miniature hereford? One that looks "beefy", just little?

I have a small herd of Irish Dexters. I don't have any dwarfs in their genetics. My bull at 2 is only 39 inches high at the hip though. They have very docile temperaments and their size makes them less intimidating. Some of them want you to scratch them everytime they see you. All will eat from my hand. My cattlemen neighbours are amazed how well they have been doing on this scrub land without any grain supplimentation. They produce a ton of milk and the 3 calves are fat as pigs. Next year I am going to try to get them to raise an extra calf..........

Yes, but what are your feed and suppliment costs? Plus, can you buy one from a wild herd and have it integrated and acting like it has been around you all its life within a week?

Our fair this year had a petting zoo that had some minature Brahmas..they were neat to look at..Im sure they were young, but they only came up to my waist and Im 5'3.

baxter78":1nae67zf said:
spinandslide":1nae67zf said:
Our fair this year had a petting zoo that had some minature Brahmas..they were neat to look at..Im sure they were young, but they only came up to my waist and Im 5'3.

That right there is small for sure.

They were real pretty colored-One was like a grayish blue and the other was a brindle. Asked if the lady wanted to sell one, she said no. :( Why Id need a mini brahma I dont know, but they sure were neat.

I'm still around. Just don't have time to log on much. Still raising mini herefords. Anyone looking for info on mini herefords is welcome to go to my site or contact me. Always like to talk about the minis. Greg

Arnold Ziffle":265qzszv said:
They sure used to be expensive! I remember how shocked I was when I saw the prices for some minis at Point of Rock Ranch out in west Texas (not that I was actually interested in getting any).

Here's a link to the site of a fella that used to post here as SF -- raises some pretty nice miniature Herefords down around Bay City, Tx.

http://www.mini-hereford.com/halloffame.htm

Betty":12kfgtnf said:

Miniature Herefords are real herefords. Back in the late 60's when the hereford breed began breeding larger, a few ranchers did not follow suite. One rancher in particular, decided to go the opposite way, by making a herd smaller. This where miniature herefords came from. Nearly all miniature herefords can trace their roots to the Largent family. You can find more info at www.mini-hereford.com

Greg

I will admit mini cows are cute, and yes, they will have a harder time trampling you to death unless you help them, but other than being used as 4 legged lawnmowers, they are useless, I mean it's not worth the hassle of slaughtering one, so as long as it's just as a pet, it's fine and dandy, but if you get a nice ordinary sized cow who's tame, she's not going to give you any more work, and can actually be used for something...

I have to laugh at the comment "A ton of milk"..

here's a pic of one of my full-sized pets... she doesn't quite pass as intimidating does she?

Moolillooetoct272008025smcaptioned.jpg

Latest posts