mineral prices

Help Support CattleToday:

KW4071

Reaction score
I just got new order of minerals (20 50lb bags). The price was 30% higher than it was in March. Is this what everyone is seeing or do I need to look for new supplier?

Mineral prices have increased everywhere due to the increase in price of phosphorus. A 50 lb bag of 1:1 mineral for us is running $36. We feed mineral once a week to everything, so we spend about $20 a week on mineral. :cboy: :cowboy:

A big share of the increase is in trucking costs, both for th raw material and getting it to the dealer

I know phos. has gone up from a little over $400 per ton 12/07 to over $1,000 a ton now. May be more increases in line as well. Vitamins and minerals have also gone up as well as ingredients added for palatability. Then throw in a bit of $4.75 diesel and yep....it's thru the roof.

TNMasterBeefProducer":1w4dlu5w said:
KW4071":1w4dlu5w said:
I just got new order of minerals (20 50lb bags). The price was 30% higher than it was in March. Is this what everyone is seeing or do I need to look for new supplier?

Id be looking for a new supplier my minerals have been 16.50 a bag since I started purchasing them 2 years ago.

They either changed the formula or they are selling at a loss.Phos alone cost more than the complete formula cost a year ago...does it have any phos at all in it TN? Maybe it was made 2 years ago. :lol: :lol:

I thought prices for me were staying steady too. A month ago it was still $18/bag and last week I bought some more and the price was $27. I guess it's time to shop around a bit, I was thinking of switching from Purina to Vigertone anyway.

TN...punched all the guarantees in and the price sounds about right. Ingredient Cost alone is about $420 a ton. Mineral is usually marked up at least 50% so that would put it in around $15.75. Low phos content is holding the cost down. I would be a bit curious about none of the micro-minerals other than copper having a guarantee although they are in the list of ingredients.

TNMasterBeefProducer":22q07l4g said:
I hear ya. This mineral mix was developed and formulated by Dr. Warren Gill Beef animal nutritionist at University of Tennessee. It is made especially for cattle in Tennessee.

Probably very good....would just want to see more guarantees on the micro-minerals. iron, zinc, manganese, cobalt, iodine, etc.....sort of got a kick out of the feeding instructions.... "do not ALLOW over consumption". You may have to hand feed those rascals. ;-)

TexBrangus":31fv6bcf said:
what brand and what product of mineral is everyone feeding and why

We feed Feed-Rite Cow/Calf Breeding mineral. It is 16% Calcium and 16% Phosphorus, essentially a 1:1 ratio, with other trace minerals. It is made in Winnipeg, Manitoba. It costs $36 per 50 lb bag. We are feeding about 95 head (cows, calves, yearlings, bulls) about 1/2 a bag a week, so about $20 a week. We expect to have about a 9 week breeding season and expect to pay about $180 for mineral for those 9 weeks, or in our terms, about 1/2 the profit from a yearling steer.

Phosphorus is what costs, but we need it to get cows cycling. Last calf was born just over a month ago and just about everything has already cycled and been bred...even the couple of cows that had retained their placentas.

Minerals is critical to get cows bred and have a tight calving season, so it is one of few things that we do need. :cboy:

Angus/Brangus":3vfvb180 said:
ChrisB":3vfvb180 said:
I thought prices for me were staying steady too. A month ago it was still $18/bag and last week I bought some more and the price was $27. I guess it's time to shop around a bit, I was thinking of switching from Purina to Vigertone anyway.

Purina's Wind and Rain has only gone up a $1.50 a bag where I'm at. Still under $20 for 50#.

Angus...what's the phos. level in the W&R you're using?

Latest posts