Mineral advice....

Help Support CattleToday:

hicky214

Reaction score
Ok so the herd is doing well calving like crazy. But as far as minerals I did a tub and now I just keep the red mineral blocks from southern states along with salt in every pasture. They lick them but some have a touch of red to them in there coats etc. I have read about copper etc. should I do a loose mineral or are the red blocks enough? If so how are you feeding it? Bucket on a fence work? Im in central VA give me your ideas. Thanks

hicky214":28m2gc58 said:
Ok so the herd is doing well calving like crazy. But as far as minerals I did a tub and now I just keep the red mineral blocks from southern states along with salt in every pasture. They lick them but some have a touch of red to them in there coats etc. I have read about copper etc. should I do a loose mineral or are the red blocks enough? If so how are you feeding it? Bucket on a fence work? Im in central VA give me your ideas. Thanks

Most of those mineral salt blocks I have seen don't have nothing but trace minerals.
And they mean a trace. I would think Vigortone or Cargill Emerald for this time of year.
There should be a local mentor you could call on.

The mineral you need to put out will have a lot to do with what you have or have not in your soil. Your county agent may be able to help.
I agree with Caustic on the blocks.

I don't feed minerals, granular or blocks.
Especially granular, as the boss cows will ingest the majority of it and overdose.

Cattle have been surviving for thousands of years with out man's intervention and I see no reason why they should need it now if they are on decent pasture and/or hay.
The only supplemental feeding I do are salt blocks.

Mineral blocks contain 1% sulfur and only god knows how much sulfur is in a mineral tub, so I don't feed either, as excess sulfur is toxic.

IMO, unless you have scientific evidence your cattle have a sulfur deficiency, I see no reason to waste your money or taking a chance on poisoning you cattle.

youll be money a head by buying the best loose sack mineral you can buy.i use both salt blocks and loose salt depending on how room i have in the mineral feeder.

John Baker":2xaw0esz said:
Especially granular, as the boss cows will ingest the majority of it and overdose.

Cattle have been surviving for thousands of years with out man's intervention and I see no reason why they should need it now if they are on decent pasture and/or hay.

Mineral blocks contain 1% sulfur and only god knows how much sulfur is in a mineral tub, so I don't feed either, as excess sulfur is toxic.

IMO, unless you have scientific evidence your cattle have a sulfur deficiency, I see no reason to waste your money or taking a chance on poisoning you cattle.
I don't know what part of the world you operate in, but in Texas they have done the research to show the value of mineral supplementation. Take a look at this: http://animalscience.tamu.edu/files/201 ... tation.pdf

John Baker":oqb8xvzj said:
Cattle are managed much more intently then in the past. Their genetics have been tweaked and screwed with so that they are a much different animal then they did at the survival stage. We expect them to calve, wean a good calf and breed back on a tight schedule. The 5 or 6 bucks a year that mineral costs are jsut cheap insurance that they will continue to produce up to our expectations.

John Baker":2x3pc91h said:

Who mentioned sulfur??? You know man has been around for thousands of years too but we're not still neanderthals. Well most of us aren't. !!!!!

I called my local co op and guy was a lil snotty and advised I was "to late to start fly control with IGR" He advised to feed Mineral with just CTC. They do have a brand that contains CTC and IGR that is there premium but again said I was to late for IGR. I might be off base but my thinking says what can the IGR hurt? Ill pay more for the assistance of IGR. Only Fly control I have used is a Python Dust bought at the same store they recommended. My father purchased the dust. It has worked ok but this guy said get them all up and double ear tag them for fly control. I just got them up and to be honest they have a lot of young calves and aren't in the mood since its hot. And neither am I. So dust them every couple weeks and use the IGR? Be sufficient? They are easy to just while eating grain. I am going in the morning so all help would be great.

It is not to late to start feeding igr. You should start to see a difference in two weeks.
CSM

CSM":2sqi6srx said:
It is not to late to start feeding igr. You should start to see a difference in two weeks.
CSM
To really get the max benefit you should start feeding a couple of weeks before fly season, but starting now you won't see the effect as pronounced, but it will start to be noticable as was said, in 2 weeks or so.

hicky214":ebur8owf said:
I called my local co op and guy was a lil snotty and advised I was "to late to start fly control with IGR" He advised to feed Mineral with just CTC. They do have a brand that contains CTC and IGR that is there premium but again said I was to late for IGR. I might be off base but my thinking says what can the IGR hurt? Ill pay more for the assistance of IGR. Only Fly control I have used is a Python Dust bought at the same store they recommended. My father purchased the dust. It has worked ok but this guy said get them all up and double ear tag them for fly control. I just got them up and to be honest they have a lot of young calves and aren't in the mood since its hot. And neither am I. So dust them every couple weeks and use the IGR? Be sufficient? They are easy to just while eating grain. I am going in the morning so all help would be great.

I'm sure Katherine gave you good advise and direction. I think we both use SS minerals. Salt is already blended in. That is the sole source of salt for my cows.
I put the IGR (SS brand comes with high mag) out this year with snow still on the ground. As Dun said, next year you can put it out earlier. I have come to use the high mag (Mag-O-MIn.) year round here.

fitz

Thanks guys and gals. Hey Dun I got a pm that you have a pretty cool mineral feeder do it yourselfer? Can you pm or shoot a link to some pics? I would much appreciate it

Matt

fitz----I too use the Hi-Mag, primarily early in the year through summer.

dun---- would you be so kind as to give a link to the picks of your barrel feeder? Pics are way better than a written description sometimes.

Katherine

Latest posts