Milky colored eye

Help Support CattleToday:

Ouachita

Reaction score
As you will see, I'm new here, and appreciate all the info.
I have a heifer calf, about 500 lbs., that we have recently treated for an unknown problem/infection. We gave her a full round of penicillin, plus some B, and then after the vet got in some Nuflor, we gave her a round of that. This was all about 2 weeks ago.
She was doing very well until a couple evenings past, when I noticed her right eye was glazed over; kinduv milky colored. She has a small amount of what I would call drainage; she has a small wet spot below the affected eye.
She obviously can't see from this eye, as she always turns her her head to see me from the other. Otherwise, she is eating well and shows no other symtoms of her previous illness.
What is this, and what should I do to treat it?
She is eating well, and the other cattle are not rejecting her like they did when she had the previous illness. I don't think it's pinkeye. Only the cornea (spelling?) seems to be affected. It's bulging out a bit. I first thought that she may have poked it on a tree limb or briar bush, but now I'm certain she has an infection of some sort.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks from a western Arkansas hillbilly

Edit to add this; I'm suspecting that maybe the stress from the previous illness might have made her more suseptable to this problem, and/or the antibiotics might cause some type of secondary infection???? It happens in humans, so I'm trying to learn here. Thanks in advance for any and all advise

Sounds like pink eye to me and it has ulcerated . Can you post a pic ?
Your best bet is to get your vet out to inject the eye with antibiotics and sew it shut ,if it is not pick eye it will still help it heal either way.

It may be pinkeye. It's just that I've been checking her morning and evening for the past 2 weeks, and eye is one of things I look closely at. You know the drill, (bright eyes/bushy tail). Anyway, she looked fine that morning, then bam, eye glazed over that evening. And she doesn't seem to be bothered by it (other than not being able see), she's not trying to close it, she's feeding well, etc...
Can't get a vet out till tomorrow afternoon

I just discovered that I could find all my old post, and started re-reading them to see how stupid I am :D Also, when I was new to this site, I wasn't getting any auto replies, so some of my earlier post went unanswered and I apologize for that.

An update on this heifer. I think she did poke her eye on something. I kept a close watch on her, and just a couple days later it looked much better. At the time this happened, we had them in on some newly cleared ground that was combo new grass, and cut-over thicket. Anyway, the eye healed up within a couple more weeks, and after that she can see fine. Was eating fine the whole time shortly after the antibiotics, and has gained well. Not quite as good as other same age, but shes lookin good.

Latest posts