milk replacer --opinions on the best product

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Any opinions on the best milk replacer.
I was using Purina, but the local dealer stopped carrying their product. Any other suggestions.

That's a shame about them discontinuing the Purina. I like it, also.

As long as the milk replacer contains 20% fat and 20% protein...milk and milk by-products...and not any of that soy garbage...you should be ok.

Alice

Where do you buy Dairyway? I haven't run across that brand here. Also, was that for a 25 pound bag?

Alice

Alice":2msb0nyu said:
Where do you buy Dairyway? I haven't run across that brand here. Also, was that for a 25 pound bag?

Alice

I's a Nutrena product. If you have a Nutrena dealer around they maybe can get it

dun":rk82fvyf said:
Alice":rk82fvyf said:

Alice

I's a Nutrena product. If you have a Nutrena dealer around they maybe can get it

Thanks, dun. The feed store we do are business at is a nutrena dealer...now don't I feel dumb! :oops:

We always bought the 20/20 martindale replacer that's made locally that they carried 'cause it was cheaper and it was good stuff, so I never even asked them about the nutrena milk replacer. The Martindale stuff has skyrocketed also. I'm glad we're not having to use any milk replacer right now...GAWD, that stuff is high.

Alice

dun wrote:
Alice wrote:

Alice

Thanks, dun. The feed store we do are business at is a nutrena dealer...now don't I feel dumb!

We always bought the 20/20 martindale replacer that's made locally that they carried 'cause it was cheaper and it was good stuff, so I never even asked them about the nutrena milk replacer. The Martindale stuff has skyrocketed also. I'm glad we're not having to use any milk replacer right now...GAWD, that stuff is high.

Yes Alice that is the price for a 25lb bag. Thinkin on tryin to buy a jersey nurse cow, but they want an arm and leg for those to.

buckwheat_87":3eff0h4b said:
Thinkin on tryin to buy a jersey nurse cow, but they want an arm and leg for those to.

That would be the best bet.

We have an elderly lady here who runs several nurse cows. She does well. She is a guru on calf doctoring. She occasionally raises orphaned calves out of pure bred stock for a fee etc.

The last Dairyway I saw was only 15% protein so maybe they have changed it.

I get the MFA 22-20 and it does a very good job.

If you have anyone around that sells Vigortone, they have a 22-20 milk replacer also. I don't know anything about it though.

Alice":21dw75kq said:

Alice

Yes, sixty bucks for a 50# bag of milk replaced will make you think twice. It was about forty-five when I started bottle feeding. I haven't had any this year. With the place on the market and all, I haven't wanted to mess with them. I do miss all the little calves following me around like I was Moses or something. And they were cute to watch in the evenings when they have that brust of energy at sunset.

I plan on starting fresh next spring, facilities permitting.

yup and today only about 5 lbs in the bag .. jersey calf down .. went to the house for my cow book and run back .. Dead . bloat .. and 3 months old paid $18.50 for him

I use Kalmbach's it always works really good for me and my brothers. Around here its 62 dollars per 50 lbs. bag.

Latest posts