Metal Pole Barns and Lightning

Help Support CattleToday:

milesvb

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a pole barn built for round bale storage using clear span metal frame, roof, 3 sided. While discussing it with a neighbor he mentioned a barn like this down the road that got struck by lightning with a good deal of hay being lost. Can anyone give their thoughts on this? How many folks here have metal hay barns and do you have any sort of lightning protection? My thoughts were that the metal barn with steel pipe frame sunk into the ground would act as a Faraday cage and conduct the current around the contents, or maybe not.

Not a haybarn in our neck of the woods that does not have a metal roof and sides. Few are metal structure however. Only three barns I recollect burning down in the past 25 years only one was attributed to lightning. One to green hay and one to painters, while painting the barn they sprayed over an electric fence insulator, it sparked and shot a flame under the rafter into a barn full of hay. Have seen more destroyed away by high winds but lightning is always possible.

very few if any barns get hitt by lighting if any.an those that do a few an far between.the only way a barn may get hitt is if theres a real bad thunderstorm.

Milesvb I think you are right in the poles grounding the barn if they are in the ground far enough to reach the moisture in your area. That being said i am not an electrical eng.

A lot of the risk from lightning has to do with the site chosen. If a metal building is at the top of a bare hill which is the highest spot around there is more danger. It might be worth talking to a local architect in town. Good luck.

After the tremendous rains last fall in my area and all the moisture over the winter, much of the last (expensive) bales going out are spoiled a foot deep all around. Makes me want to think about some sort of hay shed too.

More barns have been destroyed by wind than lightning. If you are worried about either Call your insurance agent. Make sure the contents are covered by the policy.

Latest posts