Metal ear tag question.

Help Support CattleToday:

On the bottom of the tag (the part that wraps around under the ear) there should be an imprint saying if it is a USDA tag, johnes or brucellosis. Either way... if you have a silver, orange, or green (I think wyoming is green?) tag with the sequence of 99xxx9999 the first two letters are the state inwhich it was applied, the letters are different. It Wisconsin, Johnes tags start with J (35JXX9999), and others are based on to whom they were issued to and for what, such a cattle dealer or veterinarian. The letters have nothing to do with that particular animal besides its' being in that sequence of tags. Johnes and brucellosis tags have to be sent in to the state identifying the age and breed of the animal, the rest are not, they are only registered to the individual who received them. So traceablility is an issue.

Sir Loin":1wdan482 said:
...The issue is:
What's the significance of a silvery metal ear tag, if not to indicate the animal was vaccinated by an accredited veterinarian for Brucellosis ?....

Why not ask your state Animal Health Commission about it? Apparently you are not happy with the answers you are receiving here.

ETA: your veterinarian can give you the contact info.

The others are correct in saying the bangs tags are orange. The ID tags for transport across state lines are silver and there are other colors as well. BUT the "official" tags (bangs, ID, etc..) done only by a vet are in the left ear only. Done many cattle headed for feed in other states after sales at the sale barn.

@chippie - I do not know the laws of Florida but if cattle have to be tagged to be inported its a good guess they were born in FLorida since thats were the tags are from.

Also some states have some iffy areas for border markets which allow cattle to come in from the bordering state and be sold. Then the cattle are tagged dependent on their final destination. But they would be tagged with tags from their home state.

Also, I have never seen a steer or bull vaccinated for Bangs.. so in your case the tags are probably for inport purposes not vaccinations.

Latest posts