Metal Buildings

Help Support CattleToday:

b l h

Reaction score
We are having to sell our existing place, and move back home, where both grew up. What I am thinking about doing is building a insulated metal building and converting the front part into living quarters. I am looking at place like this right now, I just don't know if it will work out. Has anyone had any experience with this?

In this area, the majority of office buildings are built as pole buildings then insualted and finished. If you didn't know for sure you'ld think they are all stick built. And with 3-7 inches of insualtion in the walls they really are heating/cooling efficient.

dun

Depending on the way you finish it out it can be great or crumby. Neighbor a few sections away started out in one, and it was a LOUD building in most weather. But I have seen some others, where no expense was spared that were really nice. Care to mention the state/area/conditions of where you'll be moving? It might "shed" some light on the topic! (Dun would call for a "boo hiss" there)

fellersbarnoneranch":3coa3f9a said:
Depending on the way you finish it out it can be great or crumby. Neighbor a few sections away started out in one, and it was a LOUD building in most weather. But I have seen some others, where no expense was spared that were really nice. Care to mention the state/area/conditions of where you'll be moving? It might "shed" some light on the topic! (Dun would call for a "boo hiss"
there)

Check out Classic Steel Homes I just finished ours R-30 insulation all steel construction, can't even hear the neighbor when he pulls up in the yard with that loud cummins. Don't know if its raining unless you look outside.

Dec15006.jpg
[/img]

Jun26002.jpg
[/img]

We are just in the process of starting a horse arena with a living quarters for one of our customers. I guess when you are saying steel, I'm wondering if you mean red iron which means all the framing is steel or just metal clad which means it is usually wood framing with steel cladding and would you be looking at that as stud frame or post frame. The biggest problem we have with post frame up here is they tend to shift a bit in the frost but down there, I would think one could put up a post frame relatively cheaply without worrying about frost movement. More detail of what you are thinking about would be appreciated.

The build is a red iron metal shop, with the living quarters framed in wood. Everything seem to be very well insulated, the insurance seems to resonable 400/yr. The place is about hour east of Waco, Tx

Campgroud VERY nice house

I lived in one for a bit and loved it. I was working at a large hunting preseve while in college and my quarters were in a 'shop' building. I'm thinking about building one of my own on one of the distant pieces of the farm.

JB

Cattle Rack Rancher":2zvihonw said:
We are just in the process of starting a horse arena with a living quarters for one of our customers. I guess when you are saying steel, I'm wondering if you mean red iron which means all the framing is steel or just metal clad which means it is usually wood framing with steel cladding and would you be looking at that as stud frame or post frame. The biggest problem we have with post frame up here is they tend to shift a bit in the frost but down there, I would think one could put up a post frame relatively cheaply without worrying about frost movement. More detail of what you are thinking about would be appreciated.

All steel, steel frame, roof and siding.

Camp, :?: is that an acetleylen tank standing in a manure spreader?? :?: Is that safe :?: :?: ;-)

Bue ti ful house by the way!!

Nice House, Campground. I think it would be hard on the hands driving nails into that framing, though. :lol: :lol: . Most houses up here are only R20 walls, R40 roof. You lose most of your heat through the windows and doors anyway, though. How deep of piles are under that thing or is it just a thickened edge, floating slab?

certherfbeef":uqr8fz0b said:
Camp, :?: is that an acetleylen tank standing in a manure spreader?? :?: Is that safe :?: :?: ;-)

Bue ti ful house by the way!!

Looks to me like thats just the old welding rig trailer, with the oxy/acty bottles on the front of the trailer for cutting, gas welder in the rear of trailer.

Cattle Rack Rancher":vmrwq6g9 said:
Nice House, Campground. I think it would be hard on the hands driving nails into that framing, though. :lol: :lol: . Most houses up here are only R20 walls, R40 roof. You lose most of your heat through the windows and doors anyway, though. How deep of piles are under that thing or is it just a thickened edge, floating slab?

Thanks
I wanted to be able to cool it with an ice cube and heat it with a candle thats why its R-30 interior and exterior walls and roof. Thermal pane windows. Thicken edge slab sitting on bell housing piers.

Wowee Campground Cattle Company!!!!! that is a nice place to spread your bedroll!!!! :D

Very nice home Camp!

There are a lot of folks in this part of the country that have living quarters in their "sheds".. mostly weekend ranchers and people that need somewhere to live while they build a "real " house. I think it's a great idea... you can always convert the living space back to barn or storage space if you stop living in it.

Latest posts