Hoop buildings

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Any one have any experience with hoop buildings such as Cover All?

Seen several in an area I was in over the weekend used for hay storage, made me think about one.

If the hoop "buildings" are those made out of thin gage pipe frames (e.g., 18 to 20 gage) and covered with poly film or reinforced poly or tarps, then I would assume they would only be appropriate in areas where the prevailing winds never exceeded 15 or 20 mph. Also, built in areas protected from direct winds.

In windy locations, climates, they would just become large Kites in 30+ mph winds!

I have a small one- and I thought the same thing
First big thunder storm and definetly hurricane- it was a gonner

Six years latter- had plenty of both
And its still up and looks as good as new.
Ive lost a chicken house and had severe damages to two barns in that time span too.

I am real careful to tighten it down(has a ratchet system) It stretches over time.

If I was getting ready to sell a place in the next ten years-or only needed the storage short term- or if real estate taxes were high- or needed the storage for an "experiment"(my reason)- or renting land-or needed tax advantages of a full write off(equipment vs structure), or couldn't get financing for a shed.
I wouldn't hesitate to try one- otherwise I'd build a real shed..

we have lots of them here They used; them to raise hogs in ,only problem I ever seen was heavy wet snow --seen a couple collapse---but the tarp might not have been tight enough

carl

Latest posts