Meet Roy!

Help Support CattleToday:

You lost your dog a short time ago and stepped out and got a new one. Good for you. In my mind people make a mistake by waiting a year or two to get a new dog. Good choice on the dog and the neighborhood she came from.

Last March two weeks after I had to put Bear down my neighbor shows up one morning with a puppy. Never says a word about the puppy or me losing Bear. We talk about this and that. He hands me the pup to hold. Takes the pup back. After a while he goes home. After some though, later that day and asked how much he wants for the pup. He says to you nothing. And so my new dog Patty came into my life. She has a ways to go to become a Bear but she gets better every day. She is Border
Collie/Idaho Shag. Her parents are both hard working cow dogs on a ranch that runs about 500 mother cows. Lately I have been thinking there must be some badger in her breeding. This dog will dig to China to get a mouse or gopher.

P5222916.JPG

You lost your dog a short time ago and stepped out and got a new one. Good for you. In my mind people make a mistake by waiting a year or two to get a new dog. Good choice on the dog and the neighborhood she came from.

Last March two weeks after I had to put Bear down my neighbor shows up one morning with a puppy. Never says a word about the puppy or me losing Bear. We talk about this and that. He hands me the pup to hold. Takes the pup back. After a while he goes home. After some though, later that day and asked how much he wants for the pup. He says to you nothing. And so my new dog Patty came into my life. She has a ways to go to become a Bear but she gets better every day. She is Border
Collie/Idaho Shag. Her parents are both hard working cow dogs on a ranch that runs about 500 mother cows. Lately I have been thinking there must be some badger in her breeding. This dog will dig to China to get a mouse or gopher.

View attachment 17635
Good looking dog!

Nice dogs, and I wish you all the best with them...

It's odd to me that so many people are choosing to have female dogs. Back in the day when I was first exposed to my first animals female dogs were less popular than males. They cost less than males. Now things have flipped.
Which isn't surprising in itself. Things definitely change.
I'd still rather have a male dog. In fact an intact male dog. They are less likely to be soft. They will forgive much more easily. They don't hold grudges, and they will charge in when asked and have more will to get the job done.
I've had female dogs. I remember one I got that I swatted for peeing on the carpet, and took her outside, where she didn't pee. I brought her in thinking she had finished before I swatted her and I held her on my lap to make up for being put out.... and she looked right up into my face with this funny expression and unloaded a bladder full of urine in my lap. She was the only dog I've ever had that held a grudge and she was like that her entire fourteen years.
The last dog we had was probably one of the top three best dogs we ever had and the only one that was just naturally trained. She had a great vocabulary and knew what we were talking about. But she never really connected in the twelve years we had her. She was affectionate but never like every male dog we've had.
I've had neutered dogs and they are decent... but I like intact males to work with. And to live with.
Just my take on dogs, your mileage may vary.

I always take them to work for the first 6 months, that way they learn the basics.
I like to have them close to me all the time, bonding. My dogs then always know exactly where I am and don't travel outside a narrow radius of me. If I'm on the bulldozer they camp under the car, if I'm at a friends place they'll wait outside the door. They are always waiting to see what the next mission will be. The downside is they get very disappointed if I have to go out for the day without them. The reunion is a bit traumatic for me.

Ken

PS, I like that name.

Both young dogs look promising!! Good luck.
I have ALWAYS had a male - fixed at around 6 months of age. No "marking" everything. But, I do a LOT of shows/sales and the dogs come with us. Can't have them marking other peoples bales of hay, coolers, showboxes, etc. And, it is healthier choice for them - according to vets.
Mine are Blue Heeler and Min. Schnauzer.
Good luck with the pups.

Today Patty got to do her first cattle drive. She did great. At first I kept her on the quad. She didn't like that too much. But 250 pairs, 4 horses, 2 quads, and probably 7 or 8 other dogs. Things were a little crowded. Toward the end I let her get down. The road widened out and there was more open ground on the sides of the road. We got as far as we were going for the night. We parked in the road and held any cows that wanted to go back. When some cows would start back we would put the dogs on them. Patty had a great time with this. And this dog can mortally fly. She budded up with a neighbors dog who just joined the drive on her own. These two would be the first ones to the cows and the last to come back. Not that they kept after the cows. The two of them would just stand there eyeing and take their time coming back to where we were gathered.
Our job at first was to guard the driveway to make sure the cows didn't turn in. So we parked in the shade under a cotton wood by the river waiting for the cows. So the cows come all strung out. Finally the tail end of the drive got there. We were done preventing cows from coming down the drive so we joined in behind. The cows got there at 4:30. We took them another mile and a half in about an hour. It was 8:30 when we finally left them for the night. First daylight in the morning me and Patty will patrol the road to see if there any cows wanting to come back down the road. We will push them back the direction they are supposed to go. The cowboys will be along about 7:30-8:00 to finish the drive.

P6072934.JPGP6072937.JPGP6072939.JPG

I picked up Roy on a SE Oregon ranch last Friday. Her mom and dad work 20,000 acres of BLM plus the ranch! Oh boy she is smart. First day at work doing concrete. Lots to learn and she is even at 6 weeks šŸ„°

She's adorable! I'm considering getting a Welsh Corgi next summer after we move back into our repaired house. Not necessarily to work the cows because I only have a handful or more, but I wouldn't mind training him to help me out!

I wouldn't consider myself a "dog person" as far as being super obsessed with dogs, but I had a boy cat for 10 years who would follow me around like a puppy dog, and wasn't your usual stuck-up cat. I like the boys better, too. He disappeared last summer after we had to live somewhere else after our house fire last May, so I need a little buddy again!šŸ˜€

She's adorable! I'm considering getting a Welsh Corgi next summer after we move back into our repaired house. Not necessarily to work the cows because I only have a handful or more, but I wouldn't mind training him to help me out!

šŸ˜€
Neighbor a small herd of dogs. I count 10 working cow dogs. He has a Corgi who goes with him all the time. Well not when he is on the long rides . It is fun watching those fast running Border Collies and Idaho Shags fly around and Lucy (the Corgi) going as fast as her little short legs can go trying to join in all the fun and keep up.

I got this little guy 2 months ago. 4 days after I lost my blue heeler/lab I had for 12 years. My old dog was a great cow dog for me. He could find a hidden baby calf upwind 1/4 mile. His old heart gave out. My fault, he was overweight by 20 lbs at least. This one was a rescue that was shot for chasing chickens. He limps on his right leg like me, so I guess we were suited for each other. He rides in the tractor like my old guy and uses me for a pillow whenever possible. We think he is Jack Russel and Catahoula. If I can cure him of hunting rabbits he might make a decent cow dog. With the high price of fuel and feed, and the low price of my cows, I may not have to worry about a cow dog. If hay goes to $100/bale it is too high to feed. Just sell the cows and the hay..

Attachments

• Cookie in new bed.jpg
    Cookie in new bed.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 6
  • cookie right side.jpg
    cookie right side.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 6
  • cookie on the brake.jpg
    cookie on the brake.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 6
I got this little guy 2 months ago. 4 days after I lost my blue heeler/lab I had for 12 years. My old dog was a great cow dog for me. He could find a hidden baby calf upwind 1/4 mile. His old heart gave out. My fault, he was overweight by 20 lbs at least. This one was a rescue that was shot for chasing chickens. He limps on his right leg like me, so I guess we were suited for each other. He rides in the tractor like my old guy and uses me for a pillow whenever possible. We think he is Jack Russel and Catahoula. If I can cure him of hunting rabbits he might make a decent cow dog. With the high price of fuel and feed, and the low price of my cows, I may not have to worry about a cow dog. If hay goes to $100/bale it is too high to feed. Just sell the cows and the hay..
He's a cool looking dog. What an interesting cross. Sorry about your old dog. The good ones just don't live long enough.

Neighbor a small herd of dogs. I count 10 working cow dogs. He has a Corgi who goes with him all the time. Well not when he is on the long rides . It is fun watching those fast running Border Collies and Idaho Shags fly around and Lucy (the Corgi) going as fast as her little short legs can go trying to join in all the fun and keep up.
Our daughter has a corgi and a blue heeler. The corgi has a lot of heart, but it doesn't make up for her short legs. She's a sweetheart, tho. Can't say the same about the blue heeler (but she's loved anyway). šŸ˜Š

Nice dogs, and I wish you all the best with them...

It's odd to me that so many people are choosing to have female dogs. Back in the day when I was first exposed to my first animals female dogs were less popular than males. They cost less than males. Now things have flipped.
Which isn't surprising in itself. Things definitely change.
I'd still rather have a male dog. In fact an intact male dog. They are less likely to be soft. They will forgive much more easily. They don't hold grudges, and they will charge in when asked and have more will to get the job done.
I've had female dogs. I remember one I got that I swatted for peeing on the carpet, and took her outside, where she didn't pee. I brought her in thinking she had finished before I swatted her and I held her on my lap to make up for being put out.... and she looked right up into my face with this funny expression and unloaded a bladder full of urine in my lap. She was the only dog I've ever had that held a grudge and she was like that her entire fourteen years.
The last dog we had was probably one of the top three best dogs we ever had and the only one that was just naturally trained. She had a great vocabulary and knew what we were talking about. But she never really connected in the twelve years we had her. She was affectionate but never like every male dog we've had.
I've had neutered dogs and they are decent... but I like intact males to work with. And to live with.
Just my take on dogs, your mileage may vary.
We like spayed females. The last male dog we had was Blue Heeler and Australian Shepherd. He was a nice dog, but probably the least good dog we have ever had. We had 3 Blue Heeler crosses all at one time, and we got a lot of cattle work done with them. Mr. FH is great with dogs and they mind, even when he whispers. The best dog was a cross of some kind, they were famous dogs in the area where we were ranching in SW Mt. They were known as "the Birrer Dogs". We called her Zip. She was yellow with white markings with a natural bobtail. She never knew fear. The cows respected her presence. She never, ever barked at a cow. If one wanted to challenge her she made them regret it. What a great partner she was. I often wonder if she had some black-mouth cur in her lineage. Birrers weren't sure what they were, or they forgot, but they raised these dogs for over 30 years.

Attachments

• Zip BLACK AND WHITE.JPG
    Zip BLACK AND WHITE.JPG
    335.7 KB · Views: 7