Medicine Tempature Levels

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We had some rather windy conditions this last weekend, and it knocked out the power for a few days. We do not own a generator, and will own one the next time that this comes around. Seems it happens for some reason or another on a scheduled basis.

My question is about the medicine in the refrigerator. I made sure that I did not open the door, more than a couple of times to keep it as cool as I could. We knew the power was going to come on at any minute, when we saw the electric trucks checking the lines at our house, since that is where the line ends on this road. But no such luck.

There were enough things in the refrigerator to help hold the cold, and felt the current would come back on anytime, but it held out for a few days. The tempature in the refrigerator got up to around 50* or so, but it took it over a long period of time to do so. This is what I had on hand

Bar-Vac 7/Somnus
Moraxella Bovis Bacterin (Pilguard Pinkeye-1)
Express RP 3-VL5
Pen BP 48

Any knowledge out there? The lowest tempature on the list
is 45,* and It took it a while to climb past those tempatures.
I have a lot of money in the refrigerator. Most of all, it does need to work.

Chuckie

call the insurance and see if you can make a claim. during our ice storm in 2008 they payed for items that you list as spoiled. we were out up to 2 weeks without power . i don't think i would chance using vaccince that might not be good.

My guess is that it's ok, but I don't know that for sure. In those kinds of cases I call my vet and talk it over.

Larry

Sorry I cant help much with the meds, but I can give a little advice on the generator. We too lost power during the latest storms and although I have a very good generator, I seem to be lacking in the ability to keep it in running order. If and when you get one it is a very good idea to put it in a place where you walk by it regularly and remind yourself to crank it and let it run for a little while. It is absolutely no fun trying to hold a flashlight and work on it in the dark. I have to say it did pass the time though.

Only thing in that list that's 'questionable' is the modified-live vaccine.
They say store at 35-45, and even if you call the manufacturer, they're probably going to say that they can't/won't warranty the product if it got up to 50 or higher for an extended length of time

I'd have no qualms about keeping and using the bacterins, and I'd never have Pen BP 48 in my fridge anyway , 'cause it's a BS drug. I'm not saying to throw it out, but I wouldn't buy any more. Ever.

Latest posts