medicine injecting rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
Do any of you all use one of these? A medicine injecting rifle.??? If so, whats the pros and cons of them?
A friend of mine's son, worked at a big ranch in Texass and he said they used them all the time there from horseback to vaccinate.
Just wondering about you guys, and if you do have one, what kind is it, and how do u like it?

I've never used one but in I have a customer that sells lots of them
He said when they have cattle turned out on wheat pasture instead of roping the calves to doctor them they shoot them with a dart
They say it's easier on the cattle and they don't have to saddle up on a cold windy day with ice or snow on the ground and chance a horse falling on them

The only objection I have to them is that rarely are shots put in the area of the neck they should be. Most people shoot them in the butt.

I have never used them, but I have heard that you can have excessive damage and that sometimes not all the dose in the syringe is administered to the animal.

In my area, the vet clinics have a pole syringe (an extension rod between 3 to 5 feet) that you can borrow. This enables the "administrator" to needle the patient from a distance. However, you still need to get fairly close to the animal.

dun,
Is there a problem using them to shoot them in the neck, or are u saying that most of the people u know use them to shoot em in the butt?

Limomike":26pdjzj7 said:
dun,
Is there a problem using them to shoot them in the neck, or are u saying that most of the people u know use them to shoot em in the butt?
It isn;t all that big of an area that you want to hit in the neck, just easier with a bigger target. One guy that used one alwasy compalined about the needles breaking off, I have no idea why. Leaving a needle in the butt or the neck would be an issue when it is slaughterd. I also wonder how it would work with sub-q shots.

I'm on my second. The first was a rifle. The darts were terribly expensive. I use a pistol now. It's a game changer. Treated multiple pinkeye cases, and pretty sure i saved two calves with it, that had pneumonia. Id recomend it to anyone.

Bigfoot":3fqtw2py said:
I'm on my second. The first was a rifle. The darts were terribly expensive. I use a pistol now. It's a game changer. Treated multiple pinkeye cases, and pretty sure i saved two calves with it, that had pneumonia. Id recomend it to anyone.
Got a link to the one you have Bigfoot? How much are the darts and such?

http://www.cap-chur.com/

Darts are cheap, at like $4.50 a piece. That was one of the problems I had with the rifle, the darts were reusable, but impossible to find after you shot a cow. I bought it this year. Ive shot it 25-30 times. Took a couple trys to get the hang of it, so don't give up. Too close is a bigger problem than too far away. The last 25 shots have been succesful, with all medicine going in the animal.

Sorry missed part of your question. I got a midrange pistol. About $250 if I remember correctly. just a bald guess, but a white eye cost you about $100 at the sale barn. Treat 3 pinkeye cases, and its paid for. Shoot some draxin in one thats thumping, and you may have saved yourself $1400

I have a Cap chur rifle. I only use it occaisionally. Early in the year I had a bull with Pinkeye in both eyes and was virtually blind. He just couldn't be driven anywhere and would try and go through fences. I was able to immobilise him and treat his eyes both topically and with Oxytet . I had no hope of getting him to the yards so was very handy.
I did have trouble when I first got it, the darts with the plastic tails on them would be damaged by the charge in the syringe and even with new O rings would leak the gas out and not discharge the full dose. I have since changed to the older mop tails which are aluminium and a lot tougher and the entire contents of the syringe always get discharged. The mop tails probably have a bit more drag and decrease the range but that is not a problem with my use as I am not trying to shoot from any great distance. I have also change to the barbless darts they still stay in long enough to do the job and I don't have to cut them out as I often had to do with the barbed ones.
I don't really need the gun but I had a heap of bonus points on my drug account that I had to use up and getting one of these seemed like an idea at the time. It is handy having it there on those odd occaisions when something needs to be done right up the back corner of the place a long way from yards.
Ken

I've got the same one as Bigfoot, got it early this year and have give a couple bottles of draxxin with it so far, can't imagine not having one anymore. Saved sevarel calves and alot of eyes this year.

Denver turned me on to it. I think the low stress is a big selling point. I have no trouble hitting the majic triangle. It's tempting sometimes to go for the butt, but I've resisted the temptation so far.

I have the Dakota Dart gun. The largest dart is 10cc which requires multiple shots four some drugs. I have never made a bad shot with it. It is low stress for the animal and me. I wish the darts would fall off the animal faster. I would by one again. Mel

Waterway65":gbwg28ft said:
I have the Dakota Dart gun. The largest dart is 10cc which requires multiple shots four some drugs. I have never made a bad shot with it. It is low stress for the animal and me. I wish the darts would fall off the animal faster. I would by one again. Mel

Local place sells the Dakota Dart gun and ships them all over the US. Owner mentioned a while back that he has sold 500 since they started selling the dart gun. Probably their single most popular veterinary item.

Dakota Dart guns are not cheap, but guys that have one seem to like them. A couple of my neighbors have one. One is a team roper, but the Dakota Dart is easier for both man and beast.

We have one. Wouldn't be without it. Use it every week for a big part of the year. It a pneu-dart

It on a marlin bolt action .22 frame. We always shoot in the neck unless it's one we are trying to tranq and then we have to go for wherever we can get.
Had a wild cow a few days ago we got as simple as can be.
I don't know first hand or anything but I heard stories of rednecks darting deer that were hung up and one of them ending up with a eartag( the deer, not the rednecks). I can't varify that, it's all hearsay.