mineral levels in cattle drinking water

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
I wondered if anyone had a link that shows what mineral levels/bacteria are appropriate or safe for stock drinking water.

Also, something I forgot to ask when the vet was here - does high manganese affect the palatability of the water? The manganese is 4x the recommended level, not toxic but high enough to interfere with Cu uptake.

regolith":163ik7h8 said:
I wondered if anyone had a link that shows what mineral levels/bacteria are appropriate or safe for stock drinking water.

Also, something I forgot to ask when the vet was here - does high manganese affect the palatability of the water? The manganese is 4x the recommended level, not toxic but high enough to interfere with Cu uptake.
Shouldn't affect the water at all. Manganese is one of the least toxic minerals and ruminants appear to tolerate large quantities of manganese. Absorption of manganese is much lower than other minerals. Affects on copper uptake would only be critical IF copper levels in the water were extremely low to begin with.

I don't know what absolute levels are toxic, but as TB said, it does interfere with Cu, however i'd like to add that from my reading, Mn doesn't interfere with the Absorbtion of Cu, but rather with it's metabolism. I also remember reading that Cu is used to treat Mn toxicity

Regolith... I'm quite sure you saw that thread I posted a couple months back about mineral deficiencies and the link I posted to a Google document that I put together relating all the minerals together (as best I could)

I'll look again thanks. I'm pretty sure I haven't read it but more than half the google links I tried to open yesterday said 'cannot find server' which is probably the same reason I haven't read the one you posted. It's in the 'what is she missing?' thread?
The vet doesn't have a good reference range to interpret the water analysis with, but I'm sure he's got google and a better conection at the clinic than I've got.

It should be in that thread, but I think I posted it in a thread called "a comprehensive list of mineral deficiencies"... it was last november I think, maybe october in the nutrition board

Also, when I got home, I reread your post in my mind and realized that I had mistaken Mn for Mo, which means most of my last post is erroneous

I may have got Mo and Mn mixed up too... not sure, one of those was very high in the Rotorua area and the vet told me was the reason why Cu levels had to be constantly maintained.
Anyway, I haven't got that analysis yet because it couldn't be found when I called in at the vets the other day. I'm going to sit and wait a while and see if my vet drops it into an envelope and mails it to me before trying to chase it again.

I know that about 15 miles as the crow flies from our place there's a place called Molybdenite Lake, where there were thoughts of building a mine. It's in a different watershed than ours, but we could have some in our water. We had a water test done about 15 years ago, and they didn't include that in test unfortunately.

Latest posts