Medicine before slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

ClinchValley

Reaction score
Bought a big steer yesterday at auction. He seems healthy to me. Is in pretty decent shape. Getting an appointment for end of Sept or first of Oct to be processed.

I planned to deworm him. Would it be a good idea to give a dose of LA-300? Saw lots of pinkeye at the barn. Pretty sure a cow or two with respiratory issues. Calf or two with weird poop came through.

Being so close to getting slaughtered, what would you do. He acts fine and doesn't show any problems that I can see. He is eating and drinking well.

I wouldn't give him anything unless he needs it except wormer. But there is plenty of time for the withdrawl period if you do.
Where do you buy that there is so many sick cattle. Sounds like you need to change barns.

Are the barns supposed to turn anything that is possibly contagious away? Or pen them together at least?

I was at Greeneville. They had a good turnout and a lot of animals. I like the Greeneville very much in comparison to the place in Mascot. Haven't been to the Tazewell place since it reopened.I think i am going to sell another heifer or two in the next week, maybe a pair. Might come up your way Kenny, if you recommend somewhere?

99% of the animals there were in real good shape. I was just thinking too much about that 1%. New ventures make me worry…something that i cannot control.

Guess i was being a bit dramatic though, when I said i saw "lots." Of the few i checked out from the pins, saw 3 or 4 that to me looked like they had pinkeye. One had it in both eyes I would almost swear. I only saw one that had a pimple for an eyeball. She was in the pen with the very healthy heifer i brought to sell.

Saw a rough holstein heifer come through that kept her head real low and seemed like she didn't feel too good.

Honestly, this is the first sale i've sat though for more than 30 minutes. First time i've bought from one too. Enjoyed it. Keep reading on here the dirtiness of sale barns. Thought maybe i needed to get in front of some sickness.

Agree with KT. Don't give antibiotics unless you have diagnosed an organism you are targeting. Then, use the antibiotic intended for that organism. There are exceptions to everything but in general practice- don't administer antibiotics just to make YOURSELF feel better.

ClinchValley":asvx7dmt said:
Are the barns supposed to turn anything that is possibly contagious away? Or pen them together at least?

I was at Greeneville. They had a good turnout and a lot of animals. I like the Greeneville very much in comparison to the place in Mascot. Haven't been to the Tazewell place since it reopened.I think i am going to sell another heifer or two in the next week, maybe a pair. Might come up your way Kenny, if you recommend somewhere?

99% of the animals there were in real good shape. I was just thinking too much about that 1%. New ventures make me worry…something that i cannot control.

Guess i was being a bit dramatic though, when I said i saw "lots." Of the few i checked out from the pins, saw 3 or 4 that to me looked like they had pinkeye. One had it in both eyes I would almost swear. I only saw one that had a pimple for an eyeball. She was in the pen with the very healthy heifer i brought to sell.

Saw a rough holstein heifer come through that kept her head real low and seemed like she didn't feel too good.

Honestly, this is the first sale i've sat though for more than 30 minutes. First time i've bought from one too. Enjoyed it. Keep reading on here the dirtiness of sale barns. Thought maybe i needed to get in front of some sickness.
They will turn nothing away most places. A sale bill is a sale bill in thier eyes. Each head pays them no matter how sick. If you come my way I will take as good of care of them as I can. Might even buy a pair. Lol