medicine injecting rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

I have polished off most of a 500 ml bottle of draxxin since the middle of summer. That stuff gets in your pocket.

Bigfoot":3uau273c said:
I have polished off most of a 500 ml bottle of draxxin since the middle of summer. That stuff gets in your pocket.
I've used 1400 ml's since may. Yes it gets expensive. My biggest expense is fuel then feed and then medicine.

I have a Cap-Chur long range rifle. I use Pneu-Darts. They run about 4-5 dollars depending on the size, from 1/2 cc to 10 cc. I only use the disposable darts. Most everything I shoot through it is under the skin, so I use a 3/4 inch large gauge needle with a gel collar. The collar holds it in the animal, then melts and the dart falls out. I have never picked up a dart that had medicine left in it. I shoot everything in the neck. I have had my gun approximately 15 years and I can't count how many hundred darts I have shot through it. Mine is CO-2 powered. I have never had to replace anything on the gun and it has been treated pretty rough. A pair of cartridges lasts about 25 shots. The cartridges are about 4 dollars for 5 or 18 dollars for 25 at Wal-Mart. The only disadvantage of the CO-2 is that if you do not use it for several months, the gas will slowly leak out. For this reason, some people prefer the pump type gun and hand pump it for the shot. I like the gas gun. With the gun, there is very little stress on the animal. Even when my Father was unable to do much of anything, he still could drive up to an animal and doctor it from the pickup. We did not get reusable darts because it was too much trouble to keep them clean and get them ready to use and then wait for the dart to fall out. I have tranquilized cattle before to work on feet, or to get a crazy one under control. I cannot think of anything that has had more of a positive effect on my cattle farm than the dart gun. I bought my gun on the internet from the Cap-Chur company. They have a selection of rifles, handguns, and crossbows. I order my darts from Pneu-Dart. The only problem is they are backed up and some of the darts are on 4-6 week wait times. However, the traveling medicine salesman that comes to the sale barn where I sell my cattle handles them, so I can always pick some up while waiting on my order